Author Topic: Bridges Intl schools making small waves by focusing on bottom pyramid.  (Read 4819 times)

Online RV Pundit

• Enigma
http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/kenya-low-cost-private-slum-schools-win-global-recognition/-/539546/2820094/-/item/1/-/p476n4z/-/index.html

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Bridges Intl schools making small waves by focusing on bottom pyramid.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »
way to go ..looks IMF, DFID is learning from Chinese model ..... not a must to work with govt or equally corrupt NGOs

will be interesting how Kaimenyi/Sossion views the development once it hits the 500m mark....

quite an indictment on county/national govts, investors, parents given we are losing billions by the day everywhere...massive leakages
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Online RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 02:17:52 PM »
I think technology is making all these possible. By that I mean ICT. Their model seem incredibly scalable ...they are already targeting 0.5M (out of about 8M kids in primary schools) that is incredible.

And we are yet to even embrace e-learning. This like Mpesa will revolunitize education and we will leapfrog directly into developed world kind of educations while spending very little.

Kudos to Bridges Intl folks.

way to go ..looks IMF, DFID is learning from Chinese model ..... not a must to work with govt or equally corrupt NGOs

will be interesting how Kaimenyi/Sossion views the development once it hits the 500m mark....

quite an indictment on county/national govts, investors, parents given we are losing billions by the day everywhere...massive leakages

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 02:39:49 PM »
as we continue talking laptops for the 3rd year now....

Would like to see the syllabus.... and how this simple technology is able to monitor the teachers and keep them in class..... majority Kenyans/Africans have to be pushed to deliver and it would be interesting how the technology is achieving this given our public sector teachers have been receiving some not so good ratings with regard to absenteeism ......

Once the Bridge guys output becomes visible in 5-10 years KNUT/KUPPET powers in education sector will relatively be watered down...not sure what this will mean  ....

How do they transition to secondary schools..... will govt policy be a hindrance....

Good develpment which opens up opportunities for the bottomers including scholarships  abroad...

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 03:32:12 PM »
This is a great venture. Kudos!!!
Kenya is a failed govt. when it comes to almost every measure. Since Moi's time, investment in education went down the drain. Teachers are not supervised. I remember when EO used to frequent schools to monitor head teachers and also attend class and listen to what teaachers were doing.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 04:02:50 PM »
Impressive. Kudo's to the think tanks behind this project. What a way to give quality education to the disenfranchised. Hopefully this will wake up those in the ministry of education to once and for all, make education, be it public, free or not, a priority. I don't see how transitioning to secondary school will be problematic, given that we have several private schools all over the country who send students to this.

I can see the ministry coming up with some lame excuse as to why they shouldn't be allowed to their secondary school as the channels for eating start getting tighter and more moneys are channeled towards these kind of schools. The idea of giving parents vouchers is also a good one as it by passes the bureaucracy that they would have otherwise faced trying to get funding for their kids. Way to go...
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Online RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 08:17:29 AM »
Indeed. Some of these things like educations should be as free, as affordable and as quality for every kid as anything in any part of the world. This is a crucial step to having a equal society. Slum kid born in Mathare should have about the same education quality as kid born in Runda.That much we owe all kids.
Impressive. Kudo's to the think tanks behind this project. What a way to give quality education to the disenfranchised. Hopefully this will wake up those in the ministry of education to once and for all, make education, be it public, free or not, a priority. I don't see how transitioning to secondary school will be problematic, given that we have several private schools all over the country who send students to this.

I can see the ministry coming up with some lame excuse as to why they shouldn't be allowed to their secondary school as the channels for eating start getting tighter and more moneys are channeled towards these kind of schools. The idea of giving parents vouchers is also a good one as it by passes the bureaucracy that they would have otherwise faced trying to get funding for their kids. Way to go...

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 03:50:15 PM »
Pundit
That I aree with you. Education should be top quality for every kid - at least till secondary. I dont see the current adminstration even remotely adressing it. If they were you could'nt be seeing kids learning under trees.

Online RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 04:04:23 PM »
I won't be quick to blame the GoK. I think we spend disproportionately on education with the bulk of it going to teacher salary. I think teachers have failed and have become too big for gok.
Pundit
That I aree with you. Education should be top quality for every kid - at least till secondary. I dont see the current adminstration even remotely adressing it. If they were you could'nt be seeing kids learning under trees.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma

Online RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 04:10:27 PM »
Very interesting articles. I think the way forward is for gov to calculate how much it want to spend per child (capitation) and m-pesa that to a school of any parent choice..either private or public...and slowly they should hire less and less teachers...

private sector and technology future  of education systems in Kenya....

Economist's take 
http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21660063-where-governments-are-failing-provide-youngsters-decent-education-private-sector

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21660113-private-schools-are-booming-poor-countries-governments-should-either-help-them-or-get-out

Ndemo's take

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Opinion-and-Analysis/Private-schools-are-the-future-of-education/-/539548/2829866/-/ijw9w8/-/index.html

time for figures on number of kids in public versus those in private schools for informed policy and budget decisions

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 05:19:18 PM »
Good idea on expenditure per student. A student in NE will require less that one in NRB.
The idea of sending public money to parents should be studied in a few places before full scale implementation

Very interesting articles. I think the way forward is for gov to calculate how much it want to spend per child (capitation) and m-pesa that to a school of any parent choice..either private or public...and slowly they should hire less and less teachers...

private sector and technology future  of education systems in Kenya....

Economist's take 
http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21660063-where-governments-are-failing-provide-youngsters-decent-education-private-sector

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21660113-private-schools-are-booming-poor-countries-governments-should-either-help-them-or-get-out

Ndemo's take

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Opinion-and-Analysis/Private-schools-are-the-future-of-education/-/539548/2829866/-/ijw9w8/-/index.html

time for figures on number of kids in public versus those in private schools for informed policy and budget decisions

Online RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 05:37:41 PM »
Capitation is already happening but only in public schools (both primary and secondary). We also have the same capitation happening from NHIF and civil service medical scheme. You pick a hospital and they receive certain amount of money and they treat you for free for rest of the year. Then we also have eldery, disabled and vulnerable receive some money monthly. We do the same for public universities (about 120K per student)

Now that M-PESA is everywhere...gov should simplify implementation..by calculating what every resident requires...and then send equal amount to every person chosen ECD, primary school,secondary school, college, hospital, university and anything that you'll be receiving services from....we can leave money for roads and military in the budget.

So every citizen receives a form (online)...fill in services he is eligible for ...select institutions he'd prefer to receive services from...and voila...gov send m-pesa or wire the money to the institutions..monthly, quarterly,every school term, semi-annually or annually.

Those institutions will then compete on good services...otherwise they'll get snubbed during the next selection...it doesn't matter if it private or public...gov has to go round just registering and de-registering those that meet the minimum required standards.

Good idea on expenditure per student. A student in NE will require less that one in NRB.
The idea of sending public money to parents should be studied in a few places before full scale implementation