Author Topic: Ethiopian on track to be africa's chinaman  (Read 7378 times)

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
Ethiopian on track to be africa's chinaman
« on: October 10, 2014, 08:09:53 PM »
(http://www.metec.gov.et/index.php/en/) Ethiopia-based Metals & Engineering Corporation (MetEC) has completed the assembling of a prototype train for the Addis Ababa light-rail transit (LRT) project.
MetEC has manufactured the body while the undercarriage and bogies have been imported from the Hungary-based Danubian Aircraft Company (DAC).
DAC will also assist in the production of tracks, which in turn is being supervised by the Ethiopian Railway Corporation.
The under construction 34.2-km LRT system will comprise two lines: the 16.9 km North-South line from Meskel Square to Kality and 17.3 km East-West line from Ayat Village to the Defence Forces Hospital.
China Railway Eryuan Engineering Group Company Limited (CREEC) commenced construction in December 2011. The work is expected to be completed by January 2015.
The USD475 million project is expected to carry 80,000 passengers per hour.

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Ethiopian on track to be africa's chinaman
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 08:15:04 PM »

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 08:18:27 PM »
Right.Ethiopia is going to be east africa china.

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 08:23:40 PM »
Right.Ethiopia is going to be east africa china.

All these happening without any kind of drama is a big miracle to a native kenyan negro. And also it seems that their military is actually part of these progresses.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-18/ethiopian-military-run-corporation-seeks-more-foreign-partners.html

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 08:24:58 PM »
great news...
as long as the pop shares the wealth.
Meanwhile NRB is busy flipping land.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 08:42:41 PM »
Labor costs. I have never understood why Kenya has not concluded a free movement of labor with Ethiopia to help depress labor costs in Kenya. Kenyans are so expensive to hire. I and a colleague once hired a farm in TZ. It cost us a song to plough, weed and harvest compared to Kenya.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 09:24:47 PM »
Kenya will become a consumer society. Even in the USA the Republicans are working hard to reduce labor costs by watering down the union movements.

Labor costs. I have never understood why Kenya has not concluded a free movement of labor with Ethiopia to help depress labor costs in Kenya. Kenyans are so expensive to hire. I and a colleague once hired a farm in TZ. It cost us a song to plough, weed and harvest compared to Kenya.

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 10:09:29 PM »
While a kenyan is building an "advanced market" based on ghost stocks and soon to be derivatives, an ethiopian is building a commodities exchange market where physical goods are traded. Kenya and Ethiopia really have quite different priorities and ideologies. Cost of labour is just a symptom of the underlying structures, both countries have taken totally contrasting approaches to development. Lets wait and see which one will emerge superior.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 06:13:51 AM »
govt is a reflection of society. Don't blame leaders for selfishness, its what Kenyans are. A Kenyan will step on your head to get a shilling, but  a Tanzanian will do something different. They will help.
Tanzania will soon overtake Kennya and Uganda because they do things that help all, and greed is not condoned. GREED is good in Kenya. It gets you what you want.
How come Kenya is the only place tribalism is rampant??

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 06:36:41 AM »
Labour cost is one thing..productivity is another. Kenya' labourers are 3 times more productive than  TZ and i think UG and Ethiopia. In a way Kenya model is like US model...China and TZ are following China model...these are former communist state where economy is still restricted.

US labour cost have always been higher but their productivity has always been even higher. The same is true in kenya [esp private sector] compared to subsaharan neighbours.

Eth/TZ challenge is to ensure there workers are more productive..our challenge to keep other costs low.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »
Pundit

On closer examination, what exactly is being celebrated here? Kenya started assembling vehicles before vooke was born. The mistake was to stop there instead of demanding more technological transfer. The absence of a an iron and steel industry may have contributed. Now Ethiopia goes in to assembly 40 years later and it is news in Kenya? I disagree
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 10:16:13 AM »
Omorlo,
I have hanged my combat gear. Don't tempt me to put it on negro

I have always been skeptical of Ethiopia progress. Something about all these 'great news' don't add up
Pundit

On closer examination, what exactly is being celebrated here? Kenya started assembling vehicles before vooke was born. The mistake was to stop there instead of demanding more technological transfer. The absence of a an iron and steel industry may have contributed. Now Ethiopia goes in to assembly 40 years later and it is news in Kenya? I disagree
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 10:56:57 AM »
How about 10% plus growth consistently over the last 15yrs...that saw it overtake kenya's GDP  (before our rebasing).and yet Ethiopia is yet to open up many crucial sector of economy to private and foreign participation...think of financial sector alone...think of ICT sector alone. Think of 80M folks there. Twice kenya.

Ethiopia has china like fundamentals albeit on smaller scale.

Ethiopia is emerging from many decades as poster child of famine, starvation and poverty into a progressive nation.

I have always been skeptical of Ethiopia progress. Something about all these 'great news' don't add up

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 12:33:24 PM »
Negro wonders are rare to nonexistent and a healthy dose of skepticism is required
http://www.opride.com/oromsis/news/9-opinion/oromsis/3762-the-myth-of-ethiopia-s-crony-capitalism-and-economic-miracle

How about 10% plus growth consistently over the last 15yrs...that saw it overtake kenya's GDP  (before our rebasing).and yet Ethiopia is yet to open up many crucial sector of economy to private and foreign participation...think of financial sector alone...think of ICT sector alone. Think of 80M folks there. Twice kenya.

Ethiopia has china like fundamentals albeit on smaller scale.

Ethiopia is emerging from many decades as poster child of famine, starvation and poverty into a progressive nation.

2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 01:10:30 PM »
Skepticism for it's sake. It would seem you went scrapping the bottom of the barel to find it. Remind me when you 1yr ago audaciously claimed China will not overtake US..and it did in 2014..not even 2016. By 2016 China might overtake it by nominal GDP...

Ethiopia have the right fundamentals...huge population, cheap land on leasehold (easy to acquire), serious non-corrupt gov, lots of sectors of economy yet to open up for FDIS, huge infrastructure work going on (electric rail, huge hydro-electric power stations)...they've built new industries from scratch within a generation...horticulture (mostly kenya firms relocating there) and manufacturing are starting to kick a.rse. I wonder what will happen when their security paranoid gov allows capitalism in telcomes and financial sector...

Ethiopia is ready for take off...Kenya is on marginal returns...and unless we get minning and oil industry to spur exports....our one engine (consumption) will not get us anywhere.

Negro wonders are rare to nonexistent and a healthy dose of skepticism is required
http://www.opride.com/oromsis/news/9-opinion/oromsis/3762-the-myth-of-ethiopia-s-crony-capitalism-and-economic-miracle