Author Topic: Pundit how many kabilas are they? Sengwer,Lempus, Torois, Njemps  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Njuri Ncheke

• Enigma
....In RV  almost every day I learn of a new kabila. Whats the language /culture of those?

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Pundit how many kabilas are they? Sengwer,Lempus, Torois, Njemps
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 02:22:06 PM »
As many as you want.
Sengwer - part of markwet - more ogiek/dorobo - Kipchumba Murkomen is probably one - live in cheranganyi and embotutu forest areas
Njemps - live in island in lake turkana - more like Maasai - like Il chamus.
Lembus - Are tugen close to Nandi-Kipsigis-keiyo - tugen of eldama ravine/koibatek - while - tugen of baringo like Moi are Arror - are close to Pokot (more south sudanase looking - very dark). I can barely understand a word from Arror/Pokot- lots of turkana blood in them.

Tororis - never heard of that, Unless you mean arror.

....In RV  almost every day I learn of a new kabila. Whats the language /culture of those?

Offline Njuri Ncheke

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 03:18:42 PM »
As many as you want.
Sengwer - part of markwet - more ogiek/dorobo - Kipchumba Murkomen is probably one - live in cheranganyi and embotutu forest areas
Lembus - Are tugen close to Nandi-Kipsigis-keiyo - tugen of eldama ravine/koibatek - while - tugen of baringo like Moi are Arror - are close to Pokot (more south sudanase looking - very dark). I can barely understand a word from Arror/Pokot- lots of turkana blood in them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baringo_County 
I read them there the Torois. Appears Nilotes split so much especially on the river and lakes. The wars happening there do not have an end due to this. If in one location you find like 3 kabilas or subtribes then its quite interesting. Yoi would expect this kinds of splits on mountainous communities as they would be cut from rest of world but not on plains this is alot. Rivers and lake serve as transportation communication networks. Plains make it easy for travel.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 03:30:36 PM »
I think nomadism/pastoralism living around fragile ecosystem that forced people to just wake up - and move.
Normally what would happen - somone people would go prospecting for new land - pasture.
They would come and pick those who want to move - and they would move
Some would move far and get cut off - and become a new tribe.
Maasai who practiced pure nomadism - were forever moving - in circular way.
Kalenjin were agro-pastoral - so they need to get land that was dual purpose - with pasture and also good for agricluture.
Obviously through language and dna - it's now possible to know when they separated.

For Bantus - they were settled in fertile land and tended to their crops and few livestocks- and rarely needed to migrate - unless from over population and maybe attacks.

I read them there the Torois. Appears Nilotes split so much especially on the river and lakes. The wars happening there do not have an end due to this. If in one location you find like 3 kabilas or subtribes then its quite interesting. Yoi would expect this kinds of splits on mountainous communities as they would be cut from rest of world but not on plains this is alot. Rivers and lake serve as transportation communication networks. Plains make it easy for travel.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 06:01:35 PM »
As many as you want.

It's not so much a Nilotic thing as a Kenyan thing.  In South Sudan their original homelands, they tend to be split in more well defined communities.  Kenya(and Uganda to some extend, Tz to a much smaller extend) is on the margins of the major tribal groupings.  I think that leads to some instability and you have all these groups shifting around, even among Bantus.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman