Author Topic: Trump sanctions Mexico  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Trump sanctions Mexico
« on: June 01, 2019, 12:20:28 AM »
Hold on folks, you ain't seen the orange yet

Trump Threatens Tariffs on Mexican Imports in Response to Migrant Surge
A tariff of 5% is set to become effective June 10, potentially rising to 25% on Oct. 1

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-threatens-5-tariff-on-mexican-imports-beginning-june-10-11559260679?mod=hp_lead_pos1
♫♫ They say all good boys go to heaven... but bad boys bring heaven to you ~ song by Julia Michaels

Online RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Trump sanctions Mexico
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 12:20:16 PM »
Crazy. WTO - what do they do.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 12:44:50 PM »

The US is unhinged - on Iran for instance they have long ignored ICC orders to lift sanctions and unfreeze assets. The law is only as good as its enforcement.
♫♫ They say all good boys go to heaven... but bad boys bring heaven to you ~ song by Julia Michaels

Online RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 01:05:13 PM »
At least for now it just trade wars. It could get worse if Trump started getting trigger happy
The US is unhinged - on Iran for instance they have long ignored ICC orders to lift sanctions and unfreeze assets. The law is only as good as its enforcement.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 01:13:41 PM »
The trade war will end very badly for the US. They are reduxing Japan and USSR that they cut to size in the 80s and 90s. In the end the US will be toothless bulldog like Russia with huge broke military. My $$ remains on the dragon.

At least for now it just trade wars. It could get worse if Trump started getting trigger happy

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 06:57:56 PM »
The trade war will end very badly for the US. They are reduxing Japan and USSR that they cut to size in the 80s and 90s. In the end the US will be toothless bulldog like Russia with huge broke military. My $$ remains on the dragon.

He tried to recruit Merkel in his racist policy but she said NO. If he really was doing it the right way he will get support but nobody will support racism.
Yes the Dragon will not be slain but will get bigger with 1blion middle class

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 06:58:27 PM »

Yes, the US generally has defied certain norms internationally.  But you have to consider the current instance as separate from the usual US above everything else. 

There is no coherent policy in this particular case.  In fact this was against the advice of his senior advisers.  Because Mexico plays a huge role in US manufacturing. 

Trump will continue to lash out at anybody, anywhere depending on how bad things are looking domestically.  There is a sense that things are closing in around him in the courts and Congress, partly about Russia,  but especially around his finances.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 10:45:39 PM »
Parkerpen I don't buy the narrow view that Trump's impulsive foreign policy is racist. Nor personal as per bitmask. Those are self-serving Leftist narratives. He has a genuine delusion and hubris about the Almighty American position. Misguided patriotism and nostalgia about the Grand Old USA he read in school. He is not a racist but an idiot.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 03:24:11 AM »
Parkerpen I don't buy the narrow view that Trump's impulsive foreign policy is racist. Nor personal as per bitmask. Those are self-serving Leftist narratives. He has a genuine delusion and hubris about the Almighty American position. Misguided patriotism and nostalgia about the Grand Old USA he read in school. He is not a racist but an idiot.
How do you explain the white supremacist march comment - Each side is wrong.?
How do you explain the African comment - "they live in huts"?
How do you explain his Alex Jones interview.?
He will support any white supremacist over anyone else.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 03:27:00 PM »

Lol yeah you're a liberal snowflake like bitmask. You see the stick in everyone's eye. What's Obama's or Clinton's view on Antifa's violence? Or #MeToo rubbish? Can you say they're  equally racist and partisan or do you reserve the distinction only for Trump?

Anyone and everyone has political views - we are analyzing OBJECTS - impersonal stuff we can all see. In any case what drives the foreign policy on the EU, Canada, Japan or China? Is he "racist" against all non-Caucasians or just negroes?

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 04:29:22 PM »

Lol yeah you're a liberal snowflake like bitmask. You see the stick in everyone's eye. What's Obama's or Clinton's view on Antifa's violence? Or #MeToo rubbish? Can you say they're  equally racist and partisan or do you reserve the distinction only for Trump?

Anyone and everyone has political views - we are analyzing OBJECTS - impersonal stuff we can all see. In any case what drives the foreign policy on the EU, Canada, Japan or China? Is he "racist" against all non-Caucasians or just negroes?

I don't care for antifa, but I care less for the thugs they like to engage(KKK, Nazi etc).  I mean, I wouldn't feel as unsafe around antifa as I would around the Jews will not replace us types.  They have always been there, but till Trump, they knew to stay in their dark corners of polite of society.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 04:56:06 PM »

Parkerpen,

Of course Trump is a shameless racist asshole.   But not everything he does is motivated by it, even though he freely taps into it whenever the need arises.  Take away all the buzz around his finances and legal troubles in Washington, and I bet you don't see this tariff talk on Mexico. 

He has made the calculation that the racism, xenophobia and the utter corruption of the Republican Party, coupled with the structural bias in the electoral college, can land him a second term and hopefully wipe out some of his problems through expiry of statute of limitations.

And even Republicans in general are not always motivated by racism.  Racism is just the best way to appeal to their supporters, so they have to adapt.  Obviously it is easier if you already embrace a racist view of the world.

Harriet Tubman