Author Topic: Professor maghokah is a typical luo urbanite  (Read 2345 times)

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
Professor maghokah is a typical luo urbanite
« on: March 14, 2019, 12:36:17 PM »
Wotking a upper middle class job but with an ego of a billionaire. This is what makes luo excel as professionals. They are proud and will do anything to prove they are worth. A luo can work 80 hours in an office to proof his or her brilliance ..while a okuyu will just leave after 40 hours to go hustle. My dad really crackec me up the other day. He trust young luo or western doctors. He says they are stable and do their work without think of it as a business. While he says his okuyia lawyers and doctors offices are just a mess. He told me one lawyer has trays of eggs in the office so the bugger is selling eggs while giving legal advice.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Professor maghokah is a typical luo urbanite
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 12:51:00 PM »
That is actually true for most luos - even lower class - they are single-minded like Bazungu -and make great workers - unfortunately they retire poor & cycle of poverty continues. The Kikuyu doctor will probably in few years hire the Luo doctor in his hospital.

Luos just find something that earns them a living and they just get into a comfort zone - they are not ambitious - they just want to keep doing whatever earns them a living forever. I know one in our place who is still selling groundnuts nearly 30yrs later.

Luos seem to actually fall in love with their job. The Kalenjin I know love their families most - and don't really give a damn about job - they probably love the cows and land next :). Kikuyus just love money - doesn't matter what they have to do for it - even operating a morgue or name any business a few would dare - they will follow the smell of the money.

Anyway Prof Magoha has always been a nonsense achiever - I remember during our time at UON - everyone knew about him despite coming from small medicine school - and when he was appointed into administration (he was not VC yet) - guys were scared.

Wotking a upper middle class job but with an ego of a billionaire. This is what makes luo excel as professionals. They are proud and will do anything to prove they are worth. A luo can work 80 hours in an office to proof his or her brilliance ..while a okuyu will just leave after 40 hours to go hustle. My dad really crackec me up the other day. He trust young luo or western doctors. He says they are stable and do their work without think of it as a business. While he says his okuyia lawyers and doctors offices are just a mess. He told me one lawyer has trays of eggs in the office so the bugger is selling eggs while giving legal advice.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 01:08:43 PM »
Yeah we kikuyus are terrible. Right now i have 4 things i am doing to earn money. Sometimes i spend all weekend dealing with my side hustlers. It is not unusual for me to sleep at midnight exhausted like crazy. Yeah kikuyus will do anything for moeny they are hustlers. My grandfather was still investing even at 100 years. He was always making money and was very independent ..despite having been born poor

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 01:50:47 PM »
That is good - you really cannot get into Bazungu comfort level without centuries of structured support systems - Most Luos will end up like OO - in shocking poverty. A luo once he get a job that gives him regular food & a roof - rented or for free is even better  & clothing - they will settle down and have no worry in life - until some disaster happen to their job.They are career-oriented. Most Kalenjin just imagine the day they will retire to big farm with happy cows & maybe a tractor  & pickup - their lifelong mission is to achieve that - buy a big farm, grow some crops and have large herds of happy cows - . I have stayed in Kadudu land - & I can say their ambition is to have so many wifes in so many bomas - the more the get richer - the more they buy small plots, build a decent house and add new wife! Kikuyu are crazily ambitious and wants to basically own big business bringing in big money like Bahindi(Asians).
Yeah we kikuyus are terrible. Right now i have 4 things i am doing to earn money. Sometimes i spend all weekend dealing with my side hustlers. It is not unusual for me to sleep at midnight exhausted like crazy. Yeah kikuyus will do anything for moeny they are hustlers. My grandfather was still investing even at 100 years. He was always making money and was very independent ..despite having been born poor

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 03:50:50 PM »
I thought Magoha was Kisii
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 04:19:06 PM »
He has always been a Luo from Siaya - but he is not Raila type ; he is fiercely independent.
I thought Magoha was Kisii

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 05:25:55 PM »
Had he been a Kalejin and not "Ruto type" you would have labeled him a traitor. :D

He has always been a Luo from Siaya - but he is not Raila type ; he is fiercely independent.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 05:27:51 PM »
That is good - you really cannot get into Bazungu comfort level without centuries of structured support systems - Most Luos will end up like OO - in shocking poverty. A luo once he get a job that gives him regular food & a roof - rented or for free is even better  & clothing - they will settle down and have no worry in life - until some disaster happen to their job.They are career-oriented. Most Kalenjin just imagine the day they will retire to big farm with happy cows & maybe a tractor  & pickup - their lifelong mission is to achieve that - buy a big farm, grow some crops and have large herds of happy cows - . I have stayed in Kadudu land - & I can say their ambition is to have so many wifes in so many bomas - the more the get richer - the more they buy small plots, build a decent house and add new wife!  :D :D :D :DKikuyu are crazily ambitious and wants to basically own big business bringing in big money like Bahindi(Asians).

The truth hurts.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 06:18:02 PM »
You clearly don't know me. I am pro Michuki, Ruto, Nyachae, Matiangi and Magoha. I don't like Raila type of rehearsed speaches of "we are at cross-roads" who DO NOT DO ANYTHING. Politics is something that changes any minute but character doesnt'
Had he been a Kalejin and not "Ruto type" you would have labeled him a traitor. :D

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 07:11:28 AM »
While its admirable that kiuks try to better themselves, I have also learnt over time that its smarter to focus on one thing and excel in it. Otherwise you risk being jack of all trades but master of none. This is what locally indian entrepreneurs have done, focused on one thing.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 07:18:48 AM »
Right. And the Indians are not into buying small plots all over the world or join the next big money making thing. Luos could make great businessmen if they had that entrepreneurial streak. Unfortunately most of them as long as their stomach is full - don't have that ambition to make lots of money.

Anyway at the heart of this is our cultures....and upbringing.

I know as a Kalenjin we are brought up to literally worship cows and all we dream about when we grow up is to raise a herd of happy cows. We would consider ourselves very poor if we didn't have cattle...even if we owned properties everywhere..we simply must have a farm with some happy cows in it.The thing I noticed in Luhya land that is different from Kalenjin is the reason for polgamy. Most kalenjin used marry another wife because they've acquired a farm - far away - and that requires someone to look after. That now with FGM is pretty much history. Luhyas set out to marry another wife and find them a small farm. That culture doesn't appear to be changing soon. Luhya people I found to be very disloyal in marraige - wife and husband can simply move on with their lives & marry someone else anytime - without warning.

While its admirable that kiuks try to better themselves, I have also learnt over time that its smarter to focus on one thing and excel in it. Otherwise you risk being jack of all trades but master of none. This is what locally indian entrepreneurs have done, focused on one thing.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 11:16:02 AM »
At one point I had thought of 'focusing on one thing' but I am finding that the world is changing very fast and new opportunities are popping everywhere. Phones, Laptops, Mpesa agents, Software dealers, MISs were not here two decades and now they are minting billions. Makaa is becoming less used, guys are eating potato chips more and more with less ugali. No  need to focus on a shop where you pay rent and licenses while your competitors are on OLX, Facebook and Jumia and substantial youngings becoming lazier wanting doorstep home/office delivery.
Take sugarcane farmers they are stuck in that mess while i hear everybody longing for a kienyeji chicken from Western!! Once coffee went blinkers young Murang'a men started hawking all over the country even in deep remote villages, now Chinese merchandise is the backbone of the economy.

I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 03:51:15 PM »
At one point I had thought of 'focusing on one thing' but I am finding that the world is changing very fast and new opportunities are popping everywhere. Phones, Laptops, Mpesa agents, Software dealers, MISs were not here two decades and now they are minting billions. Makaa is becoming less used, guys are eating potato chips more and more with less ugali. No  need to focus on a shop where you pay rent and licenses while your competitors are on OLX, Facebook and Jumia and substantial youngings becoming lazier wanting doorstep home/office delivery.
Take sugarcane farmers they are stuck in that mess while i hear everybody longing for a kienyeji chicken from Western!! Once coffee went blinkers young Murang'a men started hawking all over the country even in deep remote villages, now Chinese merchandise is the backbone of the economy.
We are talking about disciplines in business. If you are a retailer focus on retail to excel in it which means selling online, brick & mortal , mobile etc. Obviously it makes great deal of sense to diversify after excelling in one discipline. But to each his own. For me I prefer focusing on one thing and being passive investor on things that aren't core to my business.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 07:43:09 PM »
Even our case study here - Magoha- check him out, an urologist now hailed as one of the best managers in the education sector. What if he focused on urology - qualified urologists are a rare in Africa.

We are talking about disciplines in business. If you are a retailer focus on retail to excel in it which means selling online, brick & mortal , mobile etc. Obviously it makes great deal of sense to diversify after excelling in one discipline. But to each his own. For me I prefer focusing on one thing and being passive investor on things that aren't core to my business.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 09:25:18 PM »
He was urologist long time ago - his career is mostly teaching - and related - medical practise - so he has excel because he seem super-focused - I think if he was made agriculture min or something like that - he'd struggle.
Even our case study here - Magoha- check him out, an urologist now hailed as one of the best managers in the education sector. What if he focused on urology - qualified urologists are a rare in Africa.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 02:16:06 PM »
He says he is still practicing urology.

As a professor of Urology at the University of Nairobi, I was and still am a consultant urologist at the a university teaching Kenyatta National Hospital teaching, carrying out research, and community service.
https://ke.linkedin.com/in/prof-george-magoha-immediate-former-vc-uon-2810375a

He was urologist long time ago - his career is mostly teaching - and related - medical practise - so he has excel because he seem super-focused - I think if he was made agriculture min or something like that - he'd struggle.