Author Topic: I miss the old days when...  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
I miss the old days when...
« on: March 15, 2017, 12:01:03 AM »
I could read the news and trust everything. Nowadays I have to look closely for the source, if its Faux News then it may not be true. NYTimes, Washingtop Post, Newsweek, still try to be fair.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: I miss the old days when...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 12:53:12 AM »
The worst is Fox News.  When you watch it, you have to believe that they exist in an alternate dimension otherwise you'll go nuts trying to understand them.  Almost half the country - the part least equipped to think for themselves - imbibes this crap as gospel; the Trump nuts.  When they report that Obama's certificate of his birth in Kenya has been found, they lap it up. 

There are dumbasses still recoiling at the thought that a black man occupied the White House, not once but twice.  They would hang him, his wife, daughters and Bo on a tree if they had their way.  The days when there was a middle where there is a chance of a meeting of minds are long gone. 

Right now they are being convinced that it's better to leave healthcare fully in the hands of the insurance companies.  They will lose out bigly, but in their mind they'd rather die of curable ailments or go bankrupt trying to be cured than have Obamacare save their lives.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 03:55:55 AM »
Social media firms in Germany could face fines of up to 50 million euros if they take too long to remove illegal content including fake news.

This just in: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39269535
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 07:17:10 PM »
In my opinion all news should be vetted and any fake news purveyors should be prosecuted. Trump won because of fake news spread by Russia. These Russians are also doing the Sam thing in Europe subverting democracy and its process.

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 07:26:12 PM »
In my opinion all news should be vetted and any fake news purveyors should be prosecuted. Trump won because of fake news spread by Russia. These Russians are also doing the Sam thing in Europe subverting democracy and its process.

Trump won for many reasons.  I think the Russian impact is overstated.  The key reasons in my opinion

1. Hillary Clinton was a singularly unpopular candidate and the only candidate Trump could beat - and vice versa actually.  The Dems put her out.
2. Voter apathy related to number 1, suppression or both resulting in low turnout of Obama voters for Clinton in the key states of North Carolina, Pensylvannia and MIchigan.
3. And of course the electoral college system.  Hillary was happy to see a healthy lead in popular vote in polls which correctly predicted she would win it handily, and became complacent about the battleground states.

James Comey announcement might have also hurt her irreversibly at a crucial time when absentee balloting was going on in those key states.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 07:26:56 PM »
Social media firms in Germany could face fines of up to 50 million euros if they take too long to remove illegal content including fake news.

This just in: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39269535

I take it the Germans don't have something like the first amendment.

Harriet Tubman