Author Topic: ODM cracks the whip,Onyonka & Ogari beg to come back  (Read 4106 times)

Offline Pajero

• Enigma
ODM cracks the whip,Onyonka & Ogari beg to come back
« on: November 01, 2016, 08:46:43 AM »

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: ODM cracks the whip,Onyonka & Ogari beg to come back
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 03:35:15 PM »
I think parties should rarely expel members. People should be free to move out on their own volition at the time of their own choosing. That is democracy. It may be legal to expel them but just like during KANU time it reeks of dictatorship.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 04:13:29 PM »
I think parties should rarely expel members. People should be free to move out on their own volition at the time of their own choosing. That is democracy. It may be legal to expel them but just like during KANU time it reeks of dictatorship.

It would be dictatorship if those expelled were not free to form or join other parties.  ODM is not a monopoly like KANU.  They don't have to accept all opinions.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 04:56:30 PM »
That of course is narrow interpretation which makes ODM looks  bad. Of course we want party discipline...but I think we should use the power of persuasion...and less & less of threats & explusion. You don't hear parties in developed nation expelling people. You should be able to chose when to join and exit a party. This should be ex-communication in churches - it should be rarely applied.In any case it not effective. ODM tried to expel WSR and his URP bound groups...and eventually it lost..from having nearly 50% of MPS...it now has less than 30%..it lost nearly half to URP/Jubilee. The party should never have to worry about punishing "rebels" but should work hard on attracting more public support.

They send the wrong message, are ineffective and reeks of dictatorial nature of ODM. Just coz the law exist (like death sentence) doesn't mean it has to be applied. ODM should be busy wooing party members from different parties..not expelling existing members.  What if they change their mind before election...say Ababu has some epiphany and want to comeback...but you already expelled him.

It would be dictatorship if those expelled were not free to form or join other parties.  ODM is not a monopoly like KANU.  They don't have to accept all opinions.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 05:38:55 PM »
You don't hear parties in developed nation expelling people.

Indeed.   But then there is not the "defection" nonsense that fills our media.    Can you imagine Republic legislators going to the White House to discuss "development" or whatever, leaving with small brown envelopes or later complaining that Obama did not deliver, and then taking to the media to discuss "defection"?

You should be able to chose when to join and exit a party.

Other than nutty fringe types, I doubt that there is any political party in the world that operates on that basis.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 06:25:12 PM »
Raila and most of ODM are victim of explusion of KANU. I don't know why they would want to expel anyone for any reason however genuine. The intention is not any different from Jomo de jure or moi de facto one party dictatorship. People should enjoy the widest possible political and personal freedoms. Expelling people from parties should not be in an agenda of any serious. It just counterproductive. It not helpful to anyone. Whatever their crime - threatening to join jubilee -- the party should let them be. 

Legally they are correct but politically they send chills down the spine of rest of kenya who genuinely fear Raila presidency as return of totalitarianism.

You don't hear parties in developed nation expelling people.

Indeed.   But then there is not the "defection" nonsense that fills our media.    Can you imagine Republic legislators going to the White House to discuss "development" or whatever, leaving with small brown envelopes or later complaining that Obama did not deliver, and then taking to the media to discuss "defection"?

You should be able to chose when to join and exit a party.

Other than nutty fringe types, I doubt that there is any political party in the world that operates on that basis.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 07:33:35 PM »
Kalonzo wiper has lost nearly half of his 25mps but seem more tolerant and democratic.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 03:43:06 PM »
It's all about impunity. The law is very clear in Kenya about changing political party's. You quit the party, relinquish your seat, and run for reelection in the new party if your choice. If you do not like the rule then change it.  What's happening right now is that some people are taking abusing the difficulty of implementing discipline and it's making a mockery of the multi-party system. Chaos, indiscipline and impunity are our biggest problems. Odm is doing the right thing regardless of whether it will back fire or not. Sometimes doing the right thing is more important than  condoning impunity for expediency. We are trying to build good and long lasting democratic principles and traditions and not just wining elections anyway we can regardless of the rule of law.
"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 04:05:07 PM »
It's all about impunity. The law is very clear in Kenya about changing political party's. You quit the party, relinquish your seat, and run for reelection in the new party if your choice. If you do not like the rule then change it.  What's happening right now is that some people are taking abusing the difficulty of implementing discipline and it's making a mockery of the multi-party system. Chaos, indiscipline and impunity are our biggest problems. Odm is doing the right thing regardless of whether it will back fire or not. Sometimes doing the right thing is more important than  condoning impunity for expediency. We are trying to build good and long lasting democratic principles and traditions and not just wining elections anyway we can regardless of the rule of law.

Indeed.  ODM should also have done the right thing with regards to Wetangula's ineligibility for office for flouting election laws.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 07:13:07 PM »

Indeed.  ODM should also have done the right thing with regards to Wetangula's ineligibility for office for flouting election laws.

How?

At that time, CORD needed the support of Batman, just like Uhuru needs thug Ruto's for 2017.

The law simply doesn't exist for our politicians.

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 07:29:28 PM »

How?

At that time, CORD needed the support of Batman, just like Uhuru needs thug Ruto's for 2017.

They should have at least voiced opposition to EACC's decision, on the grounds of the rule of law.  Because "winning elections anyway regardless of legal consequences is not their thing".

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 08:19:32 PM »
They should have at least voiced opposition to EACC's decision, on the grounds of the rule of law.  Because "winning elections anyway regardless of legal consequences is not their thing".

Rigged primaries, Men In Black, .... not quite the picture of people who believe in doing right for fundamental reasons.   
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 04:35:15 PM »
Its not a zero-sum game.  When they do the right thing give them credit and when they do the wrong thing-criticize. 

How?

"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza