Author Topic: Ethiopia a threat to Kenya producers, says Planning PS  (Read 2770 times)

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
Ethiopia a threat to Kenya producers, says Planning PS
« on: September 12, 2016, 09:55:37 AM »
The Kenyan market will be flooded with goods made in Ethiopia because of lack of a clear industrialisation policy, planning Principal secretary SaitotiToromehas warned.

www.the-star.co.ke/news/2016/09/09/ethiopia-a-threat-to-kenya-producers-says-planning-ps_c1417267

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Ethiopia a threat to Kenya producers, says Planning PS
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:09:43 AM »
That is very true. But we shouldn't fear but embrace Ethiopia.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »
Kenya is already flooded with cheap imports from China. Why not allow an African brother to come compete with Chinaman? In exchange Kenya should demand for free access to the Ethiopian service industry. Kenyan banks and insurance companies can then make foray into the underdeveloped Ethiopian service industry.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 12:45:52 PM »
Excellent thinking.
Kenya is already flooded with cheap imports from China. Why not allow an African brother to come compete with Chinaman? In exchange Kenya should demand for free access to the Ethiopian service industry. Kenyan banks and insurance companies can then make foray into the underdeveloped Ethiopian service industry.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 03:25:39 PM »
The Kenyan market will be flooded with goods made in Ethiopia because of lack of a clear industrialisation policy, planning Principal secretary SaitotiToromehas warned.

www.the-star.co.ke/news/2016/09/09/ethiopia-a-threat-to-kenya-producers-says-planning-ps_c1417267

Zero sum mindset that pretty much defines what's going on in that part of the world.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 03:43:01 PM »

But that might help Ethiopia become even better, which is not a good thing, if I understand the PS correctly.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 04:08:56 PM »
Why is that not good? We cannot all remain backwards. If Ethiopia gains and we are trading partners, Kenya also gains. Kenya cannot develop alone and the neighbouring countries slumber in poverty. Development of E. African region has to go hand in hand. Competion is not always negative.

But that might help Ethiopia become even better, which is not a good thing, if I understand the PS correctly.

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 04:28:41 PM »
Kenya and ethiopia produce similar goods. We both depend on farming, we are currently building industrial sheds, sgr, power plants etc. The problem is that ethiopia is doing it better/cheaply, and this is worrying kenyan tumbocrats.

It's also worth noting that Ethiopia services is also growing exponentially. Ethiopian tourism revenue just beat combined revenue of kenya and tanzania.... So in reality kenya will have a huge task competing with ethiopian industry (both service and manufacturing?) once majority of it are opened to foreign companies.

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 04:40:33 PM »
Why is that not good? We cannot all remain backwards. If Ethiopia gains and we are trading partners, Kenya also gains. Kenya cannot develop alone and the neighbouring countries slumber in poverty. Development of E. African region has to go hand in hand. Competion is not always negative.

I am just paraphrasing the PS.  Of course it is a good thing.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 07:19:36 PM »
Great!!!
Thats my reasoning too :)

I am just paraphrasing the PS.  Of course it is a good thing.