Author Topic: SGR to start next year January;  (Read 4400 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
SGR to start next year January;
« on: August 15, 2016, 03:03:23 PM »
When Ruto talked about SGR I think in early 2012 while Jubilee was yet to be formed; I thought he was joking; but alas kenya biggest infrastructural investment since independence is going live very soon. Kudos.

http://www.nation.co.ke/business/SGR-testing-set-to-start-in-January--says-Macharia/996-3345090-xv1xyd/index.html

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
Re: SGR to start next year January;
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 05:33:35 PM »
Great!
I hope I can get my mangoes and coconut from MSA cheaper!
Where does it end again? NRB.

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 07:47:47 AM »
Sad to note the success of SGR is pegged on completion rather than benefits and opportunities delivered from such a mega project. 

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 09:16:56 AM »
That I think is inclusive. Finishing this 4-5B dollar project 7 months ahead of schedule is pretty much unprecedented. This is very impressive. And second phase is starting next month...hopefully it can reach Naivasha, Kisumu and Malaba pretty soon...so we can begin on LAPSET and other mega infrastructure investment.

The pictures of SGR are here...
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=954002&page=157

Sad to note the success of SGR is pegged on completion rather than benefits and opportunities delivered from such a mega project. 

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 08:50:11 PM »
When Ruto talked about SGR I think in early 2012 while Jubilee was yet to be formed; I thought he was joking; but alas kenya biggest infrastructural investment since independence is going live very soon. Kudos.

http://www.nation.co.ke/business/SGR-testing-set-to-start-in-January--says-Macharia/996-3345090-xv1xyd/index.html

Alas, indeed.   I couldn't have thought of a better word.    :D

Reminds me of an exchange on the purported benefits of the SGR.     One conclusion:

Interesting. I have heard gov sources repeat this claim that transport cost will reduce by 2.5 times several times. Yeah 20shs does sound like a lot...and unreleastic...and maybe somebody in gov is lying.
http://www.nipate.org/index.php?topic=3211.20
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 01:00:13 AM »
Reducing transport cost by even a half would be a big achievement. It's a key industrial input. Now focus on power cost as well. This is MAJOR tick for Kenya and Jubilee.
♫♫ They say all good boys go to heaven... but bad boys bring heaven to you ~ song by Julia Michaels

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 01:35:35 AM »
Reducing transport cost by even a half would be a big achievement. It's a key industrial input.

That is certainly true.    But by how much will the SGR reduce the costs?   

The 2.5 times is based on a bogus figure of Sh. 20 per tonne-kilometre for road.  The real figure appears to be around Sh. 10, which is why even RV Pundit admits that someone in the government might be lying.   So "even by half" would be around Sh. 5, which, from everything I have seen, is totally unrealistic. 

The basis of the current proposed  figure  is the consultant's recommendation that the SGR should start slightly below the road rates, to get market share, and then increase figures to around those of road rates.

It is possible that I have missed it, so I should ask: Do we have any report from GoK detailing the economic viability of the SGR, how much will be charged, a basis for the oft-cited "2.5 times reduction", any other figure for a "reduction", etc.?   

That said, it was not my intention to restart the SGR debate.   I just couldn't resist amusing myself on the "alas".   :D
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 10:14:10 AM »
Before one can even bother calculating the viability of the SGR, one important question still needs to be answered:

-  Was the purpose of the SGR primarily for the economic good of Kenya or, as Mutunga alleged, for lining the pockets of individuals?

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 11:14:55 AM »
I would say both but the latter accelerated the pace of the whole project and took the price to its limit.

Before one can even bother calculating the viability of the SGR, one important question still needs to be answered:

-  Was the purpose of the SGR primarily for the economic good of Kenya or, as Mutunga alleged, for lining the pockets of individuals?

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 12:01:21 PM »
We need information on how they compare...price wise(per tonne per km)..of course we know about the time factor. If container now cost 100K to Nairobi from MSA..what will SGR charge?

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 01:20:33 PM »
We need information on how they compare...price wise(per tonne per km)..of course we know about the time factor. If container now cost 100K to Nairobi from MSA..what will SGR charge?

Tanzania quote that it will cost average kes. 6/tonne.km for Dar-kigali sgr, while passenger will cost around kes. 2300 from dar-kigali.

The figures should be close.

Yes...

"The importance of the SGR to Kenya is the potential dividend that will arise from bolstering infrastructure in the country. The government expects the project to reduce freight costs from $ 0.20 per tonne/km to $0.08 per tonne/ km. But the SGR is expensive.

www.businessdailyafrica.com/Opinion-and-Analysis/Why-the-standard-gauge-railway-is-not-cost-effective/539548-2977014-6cb6c4/index.html

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 01:31:40 PM »
Passenger transport will have to be subsidised in all cases. Else, it will be too expensive.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 02:04:39 PM »
What is the cost now. I think anything 8-10shs. So if TZ will do 6shs..maybe we will be there. That is reduction of 2shs..and not good enough.I doubt it will be 2shs per tonne per km. That will mean a container from MSA will cost 20,000 to be hauled to Nairobi.
Tanzania quote that it will cost average kes. 6/tonne.km for Dar-kigali sgr, while passenger will cost around kes. 2300 from dar-kigali.

The figures should be close.

Yes...

"The importance of the SGR to Kenya is the potential dividend that will arise from bolstering infrastructure in the country. The government expects the project to reduce freight costs from $ 0.20 per tonne/km to $0.08 per tonne/ km. But the SGR is expensive.

www.businessdailyafrica.com/Opinion-and-Analysis/Why-the-standard-gauge-railway-is-not-cost-effective/539548-2977014-6cb6c4/index.html