Author Topic: PBS Documentary "Inside Kenya" - Corruption  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
PBS Documentary "Inside Kenya" - Corruption
« on: April 13, 2016, 11:09:53 AM »

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
Re: PBS Documentary "Inside Kenya" - Corruption
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 06:01:26 AM »
Jeepers Creepers! this Comment 

The story is a mix of half truths, exaggerations and distortions and in some cases outright lies. It certainly fits the African stereotype of wanton corruption and theft. Corruption is a problem in Kenya. No doubt about that. But politics has hijacked this sorry state of affairs. For example, the journalist does not interview JP Morgan or Citigroup - all American based entities - to ascertain the truth about the purported Eurobond saga. Both entities and the Reserve Bank of New York have confirmed that no funds were lost in this conjured up saga. It is an unverified claim by the opposition leader that is little more nonsense on stilts. All those featured in this story, other than the athlete and the old man from Postbank, have a political axe to grind with government out of political loyalty to the opposition leader. The activists featured are well known to stage dramatic protests in order to keep donor funds flowing to their organisations. Your reporter does not mention that this is the first government to fire six of its cabinet members in the fight against corruption and that there are almost 400 cases in Court today. An unprecedented action in demonstration of political will to fight decades old and entrenched corruption in Kenya. The story is simply misleading!

see link below

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/how-widespread-corruption-is-hurting-kenya/

"Christianity is not a religion, but a personal relationship with Christ".

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 04:27:08 PM »
Jeepers Creepers! this Comment 

The story is a mix of half truths, exaggerations and distortions and in some cases outright lies. It certainly fits the African stereotype of wanton corruption and theft. Corruption is a problem in Kenya. No doubt about that. But politics has hijacked this sorry state of affairs. For example, the journalist does not interview JP Morgan or Citigroup - all American based entities - to ascertain the truth about the purported Eurobond saga. Both entities and the Reserve Bank of New York have confirmed that no funds were lost in this conjured up saga. It is an unverified claim by the opposition leader that is little more nonsense on stilts. All those featured in this story, other than the athlete and the old man from Postbank, have a political axe to grind with government out of political loyalty to the opposition leader. The activists featured are well known to stage dramatic protests in order to keep donor funds flowing to their organisations. Your reporter does not mention that this is the first government to fire six of its cabinet members in the fight against corruption and that there are almost 400 cases in Court today. An unprecedented action in demonstration of political will to fight decades old and entrenched corruption in Kenya. The story is simply misleading!

see link below

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/how-widespread-corruption-is-hurting-kenya/

Eurobond money all gets to Kenya.  Does it all get to the Consolidated Account?  Possibly.  Has Treasury has been able to prove that?  No.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 04:49:07 PM »
Eurobond money all gets to Kenya.  Does it all get to the Consolidated Account?  Possibly.  Has Treasury has been able to prove that?  No.

The auditor-general was supposed to give a report sometime back in January or February, I believe.   But just before that, some legislative action took aim at his office.   He also reported death threats to his staff.   I leave it there.

Oh, wait!   I believe there was some mischief with money that on paper appears to have just been sitting in a USA bank.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 11:25:33 PM »
PBS Is not funded by USA govt, although the govt donates into it.

Did you hear Uhuru wants to muzzle the international media like he had done it in Kenya. If there was no corruption then don't worry. But as long as there's Waigurus expect scrutiny.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 07:12:04 AM »
Notwithstanding the fact that Kenya has diplomats in the USA (and they should have knowledge of some very basic things), and also has American lobbyists on the payroll (and they definitely understand things), here comes some real African thinking: "The government controls everything."

The Government will formally protest to the American government after a documentary depicting the country as corrupt was aired by a leading US public broadcaster.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000198286/kenya-to-write-protest-letter-to-the-us-over-corruption-clip

He, he, he ....
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 08:12:11 AM »
The punchline...

"Other countries have mafia, in Kenya the mafia have a country."
♫♫ They say all good boys go to heaven... but bad boys bring heaven to you ~ song by Julia Michaels

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 04:51:09 PM »
The punchline...

It's impressive how effectively the cartels have neutered all measures to bring them to heel, including a new constitution.  Everything you throw at them turns into water.  The Thief in Kenya has had 53 years, with minor distractions, to entrench himself.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 12:37:53 AM »
It is a thin line between ambition and greed. Resourceful people are everywhere all we need to do is incentivize production over plunder. That is the object of law and order, constitution, government, etc. Civilization.

Mzungu had a field day with us during colonialism... brutally extorting material and labor for queen and country. But our top grade prefer to pilfer than build. Both are tough jobs... running Mafia vs Bluechip Inc.

Our puzzle - why a life-and-death freedom fighter for "my people" would happily rob us blind. Hero-cum-villain quandary.

The punchline...

It's impressive how effectively the cartels have neutered all measures to bring them to heel, including a new constitution.  Everything you throw at them turns into water.  The Thief in Kenya has had 53 years, with minor distractions, to entrench himself.
♫♫ They say all good boys go to heaven... but bad boys bring heaven to you ~ song by Julia Michaels

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 12:49:53 AM »
I meant to say, Windy Assassin (what a name), the COE missed the point to plagiarize US law and declare change. The cultural incentive to build vs pilfer -- that is the tough job.