Author Topic: Good job by Omtatah on matters ethnic diversity.  (Read 4903 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Good job by Omtatah on matters ethnic diversity.
« on: July 09, 2015, 03:45:19 PM »
High court compels AG to publish ethnic info about what he has been upto lately.
http://www.nation.co.ke/news/AG-publish-office-ethnic-data/-/1056/2781354/-/mvis0cz/-/index.html

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Re: Good job by Omtatah on matters ethnic diversity.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 04:07:21 PM »
Turkana, Bantu, Nilotic...

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 04:14:06 PM »
Githu will include messengers, tea cookers and watchmen on the list. Godd the the activists are demanding an extra list on the State counsels. This will be Mortician's achiles heel.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 04:36:38 PM »
This reminds me of Omorlo and his attempts to crack DCs and KRA
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 04:50:37 PM »
Vooke

Whether you like it or not, this will be the fight of the future. It is amazing that up to now Diversity cases have not clogged the courts.

Be prepared for class actions, damages and individual liability.

I have advised that for the Public Service, a fiercely independent body should be set up to vet appointments for compliance with diversity before appointments are confirmed or even hired. Thus we should see such lines like --- Njemps are encouraged to apply.... or the following tribes are under-represented and are encouraged to apply .....

This will happen when we stop pretending that there is something wrong with our tribes.

As far as the private sector is concerned, you can take the initiative. Form a body, invite FKE, COTU, NGOs, Churches, GoK etc to participate. The body would vet private companies for compliance with diversity. Membership should be voluntary. However companies either found to be no compliant should face sanctions such as denial of participation in tenders and other procurement. In addition, those participating would be prevented from dealing with those which are non compliant.

No force, no intimidation... just voluntary action will end this nonsense. You would face sanctions if you practice tribalism in public and private.

... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 04:59:59 PM »
Vooke

Whether you like it or not, this will be the fight of the future. It is amazing that up to now Diversity cases have not clogged the courts.

I have advised that for the Public Service, a fiercely independent body should be set up to vet appointments for compliance with diversity before appointments are confirmed or even hired. Thus we should see such lines like --- Njemps are encouraged to apply.... or the following tribes are under-represented and are encouraged to apply .....

This will happen when we stop pretending that there is something wrong with our tribes.

As far as the private sector is concerned, you can take the initiative. Form a body, invite FKE, COTU, NGOs, Churches, GoK etc to participate. The body would vet private companies for compliance with diversity. Membership should be voluntary. However companies either found to be no compliant should face sanctions such as denial of participation in tenders and other procurement. In addition, those participating would be prevented from dealing with those which are non compliant.

No force, no intimidation... just voluntary action will end this nonsense. You would face sanctions if you practice tribalism in public and private.

It looked funny but there is every sense in combating tribalism in it. That was a noble thing
But Devilution is sort of making it harder not to favor locals. Recall some counties resisting outsider doctors?
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 05:07:20 PM »
You have nailed it Omollo and you definitely speak for me. Each gov advert should carry something like minorities esp encouraged to apply like what happens to female candidates. Gov and gov institutions should be taken to task on what step they are taking to deal with historical injuctices as far as representations of the  minorities goes
Vooke

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 05:09:24 PM »
Counties can only seek to employ people who are resident in the county. They may set a 6 months rule which may be supported by a voter's card. Otherwise as far as I am concerned that should not happen. Anybody should be employed anywhere.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 05:46:10 PM »
Counties can only seek to employ people who are resident in the county. They may set a 6 months rule which may be supported by a voter's card. Otherwise as far as I am concerned that should not happen. Anybody should be employed anywhere.
Counties cannot be held to the same standard for regional representation as the national government.  They are regional by nature.  It would have to be on a case by case basis.

I wouldn't expect Bomet to hire Luos, Kikuyus, Luhyas, Kambas, Somalis, Turkanas in the same proportion as the national government.  But you would expect some reasonable respresentation of Tesos in Bungoma, Sabaots in Trans Nzoia, Kikuyu in Lamu, Luos in Mombasa etc.

Some counties could get away with a 100% locals.  But county commissioners who work for National gov should be expected to be diverse.  I think the residence requirement could hinder some good potential hires from relocating to their shags.

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 05:53:49 PM »
Counties should hire based on numbers. a 20% Kamba should be reflected in the payroll.
At the same time central govt should give more carrots to counties that are diverse. This will encourage diversity.

Counties cannot be held to the same standard for regional representation as the national government.  They are regional by nature.  It would have to be on a case by case basis.

I wouldn't expect Bomet to hire Luos, Kikuyus, Luhyas, Kambas, Somalis, Turkanas in the same proportion as the national government.  But you would expect some reasonable respresentation of Tesos in Bungoma, Sabaots in Trans Nzoia, Kikuyu in Lamu, Luos in Mombasa etc.

Some counties could get away with a 100% locals.  But county commissioners who work for National gov should be expected to be diverse.  I think the residence requirement could hinder some good potential hires from relocating to their shags.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 06:43:23 PM »
Precisely.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 08:07:51 PM »
Termie

I appear to have been very unclear.

A resident does not necessarily have to be of the predominant ethnic group. I stated that but quickly added the potential bottlenecks such a policy would face.

The problem is that they would have no defence should they be sued for discrimination. In fact if I knew some county that was practising that I would apply for a job with an advocate waiting. The constitution dwarfs all other laws and that bulldozes the rights of a citizen regardless of his or her location.

As I said, the county can get away with "Residence" - meaning the applicant must have lived in the county for a given period. Note that this can only apply to jobs which local knowledge is essential. Otherwise there is no chance.

I do not think ethnic balance refers to all ethnic groups. I think it would refer to ethnic groups, clans etc within the county. The idea should be that the county government should reflect the face of that county.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 08:16:24 PM »
Pundit

But we shall need to educate them. They simply don't know what the basic ideas behind devolution entail. Many of these see the county as a return to the pre-colonial domination of certain regions by certain tribes. It did not help that many of the counties are created from the colonial tribal and clan districts.

Wherever I look I see shortcomings in the constitution. There are many provisions that lack the enforcement mechanisms. The judiciary cannot be used without it appearing "activist".

BTW did you hear MPs have finally killed the EACC?

You have nailed it Omollo and you definitely speak for me. Each gov advert should carry something like minorities esp encouraged to apply like what happens to female candidates. Gov and gov institutions should be taken to task on what step they are taking to deal with historical injuctices as far as representations of the  minorities goes