Author Topic: Beef fattening lots - hk  (Read 967 times)

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
Beef fattening lots - hk
« on: August 22, 2024, 08:37:07 PM »
I am interested in getting in this. Give me pointers and you have a place you can send me to get information please do. My next project is doing this to see if I can make money

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Beef fattening lots - hk
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2024, 05:47:38 AM »
I am interested in getting in this. Give me pointers and you have a place you can send me to get information please do. My next project is doing this to see if I can make money
The key to a successful feedlot business is , type of feeds,  cattle age, size and breed. The traditional zebu cattle e.g boran and sahiwal are the best. In terms of feeds, sorghum might be your best option in kenya cause corn is expensive. If not for security reasons, Tana river county might be the best place to do it at scale.
In Naivasha pius ngugi farm morendat runs a very successful feedlot that was setup by a cowboy from Colorado, they give tours of the farm and winery. Boran breeders association https://borankenya.org/ To get the right size of offtakes, feeding program etc.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Beef fattening lots - hk
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2024, 11:47:44 AM »
The key to success in business ventures according to me is having enough knowledge and experience built over the years.

Samuel Kairu has some practical experience and is onto something. The key is to ensure the silage is at Kshs. 10 at most. He is selling his current silage stock at Kshs.18 which with rising beef prices is still feasible - looks a kilo of very poor low quality beef will hit an average Kshs. 1000  in butcheries by December. Already choma is above 1,200.

Once had a tete-a-tete with Wendot who was a trainer at DTI Naivasha who consult for Kulei Chemusian and Mois Kabarak which he says produce silage at 1 bob.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=Samuel%20Kairu%20feedlot%20
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution