Author Topic: So the cashless payment system #my1963 belongs to Itumbi & Kimutai?  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Mintos

• VIP
  • Superstar
http://www.cofek.co.ke/index.php/14-news/876-right-of-reply-state-house-ict-director-dennis-itumbi-on-my1963-matatu-cashless-payment-system

No wonder the Prezzo went to launch it last week

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
Re: So the cashless payment system #my1963 belongs to Itumbi & Kimutai?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:05:58 PM »
I believe it does.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 09:51:19 AM »
What happen to Itumbi wireless project in Nakuru. That statehouse ICT team purportedly implemented for millions. Itumbi is on the race to become rich.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 07:12:08 PM »
Lack of Ethics - When you have people who use their positions in govt to enrich themselves.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »
John Walubengo would seem to suggest that My1963 push by ngafment is promoting a monopoly as suggested elsewhere in this thread. Safcom is very very choosy about who is permitted to work with its M-Pesa platform.
http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/blogs/dot9/walubengo/-/2274560/2518070/-/10vedrez/-/index.html
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 07:37:55 PM »
Why do they want the matatu fares go cashless?
I know its innovation but the govt should let private sector be the innovators.
The other day Ouru rode a matatu so he is into something.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 07:47:33 PM »

Reading from the Walubengo article, he sums it up well.  The only problem would seem to be the requirement by the government for people to use the system without requiring Safcom to open up its M-Pesa platform.
The benefits expected include decreased corrupt activity between matatu drivers and traffic police, since there will no longer be easy loads of cash circulating within the transport industry.

The other benefit is that carjacking of public vehicles would be less attractive since the crew and passengers are less likely to have carried sufficient cash to make the robbers' evil attempt worthwhile.

Additionally, matatu owners are going to have a better grip on the financial transactions administered by crews on a daily or even hourly basis, because the digital cashless technology automatically records them and provides financial reports.

These same reports would make it easier for the government, through KRA, to get its share from the multibillion-shilling matatu industry that often goes without paying income tax. 
Why do they want the matatu fares go cashless?
I know its innovation but the govt should let private sector be the innovators.
The other day Ouru rode a matatu so he is into something.

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 08:59:20 PM »
This is a political payback to enrich some people. Why should govt require people to buy a card to get into a matatu? Someone must be benefiting in this grand scheme.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 09:41:09 AM »
nobody will ever beat the ingenious matatu guys to enrich himself using formal structures ...most regulations on matatus will fall flat as the kids hanging onto the matatus and collecting fare have their interests at hand first-pesa mfukoni .... given the matatus pay upfront taxes per seat and fuel levy among others the tax thing doesn't cut

govt should work to eliminate leakages in govt and leave juakali to organically grow ...regulations like digital migration and this cashless nonsense will never make sense if they are forced ...why can't people when promoting things here look at organic growth of MPesa, Equity ...nobody has been forced to use MPesa...Equity may have benefitted from push to have people being paid salries from banks
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 09:57:54 AM »
Isn't it gov job to formalize the informal sector. I think Matatu sector is long overdue for formalization..it will benefit the matatus industry..it will benefit the gov. When these cashless system starting working...banks will be able to see matatu industry cashflow firsthand..and matatu owners can leverage that..to get financing for more fleet.

This 1963 thing is being overblown. Gov basically has allowed whoever has been ratified by CBK to offer their cashless systems using contact less cards. Equity have their own. KCB has their own.Matatu industry has spewn their own 1963 thing. Somebody can wake up today and start their own card system.

Definitely the touts and the police will want this to fail..the opaqueness allows them room to engage in thuggery and graft..but Matatu owners..will want this to succeed.

nobody will ever beat the ingenious matatu guys to enrich himself using formal structures ...most regulations on matatus will fall flat as the kids hanging onto the matatus and collecting fare have their interests at hand first-pesa mfukoni .... given the matatus pay upfront taxes per seat and fuel levy among others the tax thing doesn't cut

govt should work to eliminate leakages in govt and leave juakali to organically grow ...regulations like digital migration and this cashless nonsense will never make sense if they are forced ...why can't people when promoting things here look at organic growth of MPesa, Equity ...nobody has been forced to use MPesa...Equity may have benefitted from push to have people being paid salries from banks

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 11:26:29 AM »
formalization entails too much regulation ...and regulation in Kenya means taxation ...will matatu owners embrace more taxation.. how is KRA faring with rent income taxes

the touts are the most greatest obstacle to the initiative ..... matatu owners will have to ensure police 'facilitation fee' is always available talk of matatu petty cash kitty .... the medium & long distance routes still pay bribes despite us paying at the office

Isn't it gov job to formalize the informal sector. I think Matatu sector is long overdue for formalization..it will benefit the matatus industry..it will benefit the gov. When these cashless system starting working...banks will be able to see matatu industry cashflow firsthand..and matatu owners can leverage that..to get financing for more fleet.

This 1963 thing is being overblown. Gov basically has allowed whoever has been ratified by CBK to offer their cashless systems using contact less cards. Equity have their own. KCB has their own.Matatu industry has spewn their own 1963 thing. Somebody can wake up today and start their own card system.

Definitely the touts and the police will want this to fail..the opaqueness allows them room to engage in thuggery and graft..but Matatu owners..will want this to succeed.

I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution