Author Topic: BBI 2.0 - BBI taskforce extended for yet another term.  (Read 10740 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: BBI 2.0 - BBI taskforce extended for yet another term.
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2019, 01:52:36 PM »

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2019, 02:36:30 PM »
RV Pundit I asked for your real opposition to the parliamentary system run in most of the developed world. Cohesive, fair, equitable, open, accountable. Any proper reason besides blind tribal loyalty to William Ruto? As you can we are ready to give greedy Uhuru a pass to reform the system for posterity.

But you call me names and besmirch my faculties.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2019, 04:37:53 PM »
These are losers who think they can ride on Uhuru coattails. Sonko got the message recently.
I see you are on top of things 8)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2019, 04:42:40 PM »
I don't have any problem with either parliamentary or presidential system of national gov. Neither will be accountable. Neither will unite kenya. MY LONG TERM PHILOSOPHY when it come to KENYA has always BEEN FEDERALISM aka Majimbo. That has been my consistent view for last 20yrs online. I am glad we now have devolution. Now we need to go step forward and embrace federalism. That basically mean autonomous 47 counties leaving national federal gov as thin as the one in the US. Those autonomous will kick out tribalism (within say Bomet county - you cannot play ethnic card), corruption (we know you're stealing from us - not distant Nairobi) and will bring gov really closer to people and responsive.

Let us a real talk about transitioning (responsibly) from devolution to federalism. Those federals units should be as TRIBAL as possible.Let us also have a real talk about fixing Kurias in Migoris, fixing Sabaots Bungoma, lets deal with Iteso with Luhyas.

Once we embrace the reality of our tribal NATIONS - we will be somewhere.

46 tribal nations + federal Nairobi + state in Nairobi. That is the solution. Hii ingine panganga about parliamentary system is TOTAL BOLLOX. Trusting MPIGS to govern or keep gov in check is the worse form of brain hemorrhage. Even the stupidiest of Wajinga Kenyan will NOT NOT NOT accepts MPIGS to elect their PORK or PM :) :)  Hiyo kama ni BBI 2.0 sahau.

We cannot copy systems of one tribe nations like Europe. We have to copy systems of diverse countries like US. The current constitution has good template...just go fully US like.

Allows counties to grow into states to control more functions, collect taxes and run their affairs while having a state gov strong enough to protect all of us against internal and external aggression.

Most counties are now approaching 1M people - enough to make viable states.

RV Pundit I asked for your real opposition to the parliamentary system run in most of the developed world. Cohesive, fair, equitable, open, accountable. Any proper reason besides blind tribal loyalty to William Ruto? As you can we are ready to give greedy Uhuru a pass to reform the system for posterity.

But you call me names and besmirch my faculties.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2019, 05:26:13 PM »
You are wrong on the US analogy :

1. Kenyan tiny counties are unviable unlike big rich US states. A US state governor is same as an African president
2. The US is not diverse but overwhelmingly monocultural English- speaking  Caucassians. Few Latinos and Cherokees
3. The US did not start as a single country then break up into states. It was the reverse of states uniting
4. CoE went US template due to Naivasha PNU/ODM feuds not any objective analysis. Arguably the Bomas Draft was broadly debated and proposed parliamentary
5. The US has an electoral college ...

You differ with the US on too many points. Federal is good but counties need some years to develop GoK competencies. Doable.

I don't know how you arrive at the inability of MPs to oversight GoK. Jomo scrapped federal and parliamentary to escape accountability so he could loot and practise cronyism. As you can see devolution is working but for some reason you don't want to equally give parliamentary a chance. Increasing their salaries or mileage is addressable - tighten a few screws. PORK and his machinery remain wholly unaccoutable despite all commissions, vettings and whatnot. Kibicho runaway impunity should teach you something. The Executive needs to be grilled on his policies, choices and actions on an ongoing basis in a place full of impunity like Kenya. That's just plain sense - not brain haemorrhage :). Strip the Baba wa Taifa ceremonial nonsense, the conflict of assenting to laws that Uhuru abuse brazenly, etc. State vs GoK - I think that remains the key plank of presidential vs parliamentary. Couldn't come any sooner in Kenya.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2019, 05:38:20 PM »
It simple. You want PORK to be in charge of state affairs and PM to be in charge of gov affairs. I am telling you in a country divided like kenya - let keep PORK to be in charge of state affairs (ceremonial) - and have gov affairs devolved - where REAL ACCOUNTABILITY can happen. All we need is to increasingly devolve more and more functions.

State duties (ceremonial) plus being Nairobi governor is enough for future PORK. Nairobi revenues plus few federal taxes should be enough to run the army, the foreign affairs and the few federal agencies.

Each of our counties are growing. Some are now 2M people plus. That is size of well governed small countries like Namibia, Botswana etc. Majority are nearly 1M - and our population is growing - soon each will be about 2-3m which is sufficient for governor to run gov affairs with good budget.

Those 2m people will generate enough taxes to run their affairs.

England will never be a model for Kenya.

Kenya is tribally divided nation - everything else is secondary. It's good that counties follow that tribal tapestry - now we need to slowly build capacity for counties - and they need to demonstrate maturity - enough to be given teachers & police (30% of the budget) - and that is pretty much about it.

You are wrong on the US analogy :

1. Kenyan tiny counties are unviable unlike big rich US states. A US state governor is same as an African president
2. The US is not diverse but overwhelmingly monocultural English- speaking  Caucassians. Few Latinos and Cherokees
3. The US did not start as a single country then break up into states. It was the reverse of states uniting
4. CoE went US template due to Naivasha PNU/ODM feuds not any objective analysis. Arguably the Bomas Draft was broadly debated and proposed parliamentary
5. The US has an electoral college ...

You differ with the US on too many points. Federal is good but counties need some years to develop GoK competencies. Doable.

I don't know how you arrive at the inability of MPs to oversight GoK. Jomo scrapped federal and parliamentary to escape accountability so he could loot and practise cronyism. As you can see devolution is working but for some reason you don't want to equally give parliamentary a chance. Increasing their salaries or mileage is addressable - tighten a few screws. PORK and his machinery remain wholly unaccoutable despite all commissions, vettings and whatnot. Kibicho runaway impunity should teach you something. The CEO needs to be grilled on his policies, choices and actions on an ongoing basis in a place full of impunity like Kenya. That's just plain sense - not brain haemorrhage :). Strip the Baba wa Taifa ceremonial nonsense, the conflict of assenting to laws that Uhuru abuse brazenly, etc. State vs GoK - I think that remains the key plank of presidential vs parliamentary. Couldn't come any sooner in Kenya.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2019, 05:45:53 PM »
So how do you propose the % revenue split in the lite state model? The US or Germany you mention are still 60% federal resources. There are functions that must be centralized to sustain nationhood and synergy. Laws, courts,  defence, fiscal policy, foreign policy, education, name it. These are big and they are the core of the executive government. There is no pure ceremonial federal state in the US or anywhere. It is the federal government - complete with an overbearing machinery of FBIs, etc.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2019, 05:47:57 PM »
Easy. You give teachers (education) and police (internal security) to counties - and that take off 30% of our current budget. You add to existing 30% - that  counties have and they will have 60%.

And National Gov will remain with 40% - enough to build highways, ports, railways and such big ticket projects - and also enough to run the army, the foreign affairs, immigrations and other policy & intra-county functions.

BBI 1.0 is of course a joke because it propose to add more monies to counties without commensurate functions. Uhuru is playing dumb.

There is no additional money - it just moving functions - say counties start paying teachers through a devolved TSC - instead of a national TSC.

So how do you propose the % revenue split in the lite state model? The US or Germany you mention are still 60% federal resources. There are functions that must be centralized to sustain nationhood and synergy. Laws, courts,  defence, fiscal policy, foreign policy, education, name it. These are big and they are the core of the executive government. There is

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2019, 06:00:32 PM »
That's laughable "federalism" if you just mean transfer of payrolls for teachers or cops. Federalism really mean power to run the show - to hire, command, fire. Set policies, run the show with full responsibility for security or academic performance. Do you retain NPSC/IG or just KDF in Nairobi? Cops report to governor? What happens when Sonko police defy EACC? What if Mvurya introduce compulsory madrassa or ban CRE? If Mandago evict Kikuyu? If Joho ban English? It has very deep implications but still doable. In fractitious Kenya step very carefully. Illinois/Chicago is example of gang-ridden city where POTUS is powerless. Clinton, Obama, Trump cite it many times of cartels overwhelming police.

Moving the bulk "government" to county - and leave bareborn federal state. Sio mchezo. Give us real example of where it has been done. Then we can agree why no accountability is needed in Nairobi.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2019, 06:03:12 PM »
We can devolve say education (teachers (hiring, firing, salaries) + infrastructure) without education policy (quality, curriculum). The same for police - we will have federal police (DCI - FBI) - and the village police (APs armed with G3s) - and have the big guns (KDF) plus paramilatary police (GSU/AntiStock/AntiTerror/Flying Squad) ready to arrest any County Police and their governor. Don't exaggerate. The same for judiciary - there will be state judiciary official with limited powers - and federal judges with big guns.

That's laughable "devolution" if you just mean transfer of payrolls for teachers or cops. Devolution really mean power to run the show - to hire, command, fire. Set policies, run the show with full responsibility for security or academic performance. Do you retain IG or just KDF in Nairobi? Cops report to governor? What happens when Sonko police defy EACC? What if Mvurya introduce compulsory madrassa or ban CRE? If Mandago evict Kikuyu? If Joho ban English? It has very deep implications but still doable. In fractitious Kenya step very carefully. Illinois/Chicago is example of gang-ridden city where POTUS is powerless. Clinton, Obama, Trump cite it many times of cartels overwhelming police.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2019, 06:25:39 PM »
I am not exaggerating. These are not hypotheticals they happen in the US. More than once Congress has approved forceful overthrow of state government. New Mexico and Arizona have tussled with DC over preference of Spanish to English. State police report to the state AG. City police captains answer to the mayor. There is frequent repeal of illegal state laws by SCOTUS.

My point is, despite all these elaborate functional arrangements, only 40% of US revenues/taxes go to the states. The 60% retained by federal tells you where real government resides. Germany, UK, Canada, South Africa, India - no country has devolved its governance enough to discount the need for central accountability.

Kenya needs a long transition to get to 60-40. Security, law enforcement, big card projects are in fact the items that demand accountability. You cannot federate away accountability or sound governance. Don't conflate the two.

We can devolve say education (teachers (hiring, firing, salaries) + infrastructure) without education policy (quality, curriculum). The same for police - we will have federal police (DCI - FBI) - and the village police (APs armed with G3s) - and have the big guns (KDF) plus paramilatary police (GSU/AntiStock/AntiTerror/Flying Squad) ready to arrest any County Police and their governor. Don't exaggerate. The same for judiciary - there will be state judiciary official with limited powers - and federal judges with big guns.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2019, 08:02:28 PM »
I am okay with long transition..I don't think there is silver bullet out of underdevelopment...we need to be honest and discuss issues soberly..for example what really can we devolve more now when counties are struggling with health...maybe school infrastructure?But empty promise like 40% devolved funds without extra functions are waste if time

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2019, 08:08:09 PM »
And it doesn't matter if states in us came together or tribal states of Kenya were forced to be a country...same issues..Gusii nation has a legitimate claim to their land like kipsigis nation.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2019, 12:58:26 AM »
You lost me where devolution or federalism substitutes accountability. It doesn't. You will never federate everything and the key functions - the almighty machinery and big $$ - will remain central. The reality of long transition vindicates why you can't relegate accountability.

Now accoubtability is not exclusively about development but that's a big plank yes. Human rights, justice, equity, cohesion, stability - lots of non- economic bread & butter.

On development, a good start to that honest debate is open, accountable government. The imperial presidency would never allow that to happen. In the US we have Trump firing ambassadors and ordering staff to defy Congressional subpoenas. To cover up brazen abuse of power. In London you have PMs being grilled out of office over Brexit. Night and day.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2019, 09:37:02 AM »
Oduor Omng'wen and the "experts" are summarizing the summary - into parliamentary - before handing back to the wazee.

Uhuru appoints 30 experts to refine BBI report

https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2019-12-19-uhuru-appoints-30-experts-as-senators-table-fresh-bbi-demands/

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2019, 05:07:39 PM »
30 is even better. They will agree on consensus in 2022 - in time for Uhuru to throw BBI into the dustbin as he retires.
Oduor Omng'wen and the "experts" are summarizing the summary - into parliamentary - before handing back to the wazee.

Uhuru appoints 30 experts to refine BBI report

https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2019-12-19-uhuru-appoints-30-experts-as-senators-table-fresh-bbi-demands/

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2019, 04:03:03 AM »
These frequent Murconman rants should tell you something

Murkomen goes on BBI rant during funeral, Raila ignores him
https://www.the-star.co.ke/counties/nyanza/2019-12-20-murkomen-goes-on-bbi-rant-during-funeral-raila-ignores-him/

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop

Offline Dear Mami

• Enigma
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2019, 11:28:35 AM »
BBI was formed to fix me, says Ruto
https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2019-12-21-bbi-was-formed-to-fix-me-says-ruto/

From said article,

"The DP further pointed out that he was close to running alongside Raila and Uhuru in 2013 but made a tactical retreat after realising he would emerge third. another delegate said."

From these delegates' reports, it seems Ruto is not as convinced as our Pundit that he has taken over Raila's old constituency (Non-Gema).