Author Topic: It’s time to restructure the presidency, it’s the cause of our problems By RAO  (Read 15533 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Power concede nothing. If you think Raila waving a white flag of surrender will be interpreted as leverage; then you got to think again. Raila will only become relevant if Uhuru wants to play mischief in 2022 - by extending his tenure somehow. If that becomes a little too hot a potato for him - he'll simply let Ruto take over way before 2022.
That's true and that is why the water must be muddied so that it is hard to define government and opposition. I think Raila should demand the position of chief minister as payment of his contribution to the peace dividend. The electoral cheating and the tones of corruption money running around has created an atmosphere where the western style democratic system cannot work.  I think Kenya has to reach a rock bottom before people can sit at the table and talk about future. However, so long as the likes of Ruto still have tones of money to buy people, you cannot have serious talks about the future of this country. Hopefully between now and 2022 things happen that will make people pause and think clearly. 

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
That is why I don't get when they say this will be all-inclusive - yeah more position mean more Duales within the party that win will get bigger position - but ultimately somebody will lose and they won't get PM or DPM. So today we can create PM in parliament - and Duale will win it. Obviously these positions (PMs) are good for second rate politicians..Wetangulas...but for likes of Raila or Ruto or Kalonzo who've been PM or VP or DP..only PORK (or whichever name) that will ultimate executive power will wake up them at night.
Yeah that's the part the "inclusion" crew doesn't get. Duale et al would be PM and DPM in an all-inclusive Jubilee. ODM would still be in the opposition. Unless they mean the loser becomes the PM... ODM is pushing to restore the old constitution which was a parliamentary system with MPs as Ministers and shadow cabinet.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Lame attempt to re-write history. The only election that didn't reflect the will of the people was 2007. The rest been pretty high standard. We are talking word-class most expensive election with all gadgets - biometrics-, key-in data, scanned forms, thousands of agents, thousands of observers, public keeping an keen eye and very competitive elections featuring thousands of opponents - all eye-balling each other to the very last minute.The servers were not ran by river-road company - but French Gov owned Safran Morpho. That got to count for something and we paid big bucks for that.

There is nothing wrong with our elections. In act if NASA were asked what needed to be improved...they will have nothing to say...all corners all covered. 

What we have here is sore losers like those hillary clinton folks who are still blaming rusia after being beaten by trump.

There is no need to invest more in our electoral process- it already damn expensive and we'll get marginal gains. Those who can't hack our tribal politics...will simply become history as they blame servers.

Yep.  Universal suffrage is history in Kenya.  Probably has been since 2002.  The August sham made me realize that even 2013 was also likely stolen.  Of course they won in the boycotted October elections and had no problem sharing unrequested server information because it did not contradict the outcome.

It's pointless having gadgets when the information wont be availed even upon a court order.  The only thing you are telling me is you have still not read the SCOK ruling for August 8th.  That, or the facts be damned if they get in the way of your narrative.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
You have been saying that for a long time-tell it the birds. I think we are past that.

Lame attempt to re-write history. The only election that didn't reflect the will of the people was 2007. The rest been pretty high standard. We are talking word-class most expensive election with all gadgets - biometrics-, key-in data, scanned forms, thousands of agents, thousands of observers, public keeping an keen eye and very competitive elections featuring thousands of opponents - all eye-balling each other to the very last minute.The servers were not ran by river-road company - but French Gov owned Safran Morpho. That got to count for something and we paid big bucks for that.

There is nothing wrong with our elections. In act if NASA were asked what needed to be improved...they will have nothing to say...all corners all covered. 

What we have here is sore losers like those hillary clinton folks who are still blaming rusia after being beaten by trump.

There is no need to invest more in our electoral process- it already damn expensive and we'll get marginal gains. Those who can't hack our tribal politics...will simply become history as they blame servers.

Yep.  Universal suffrage is history in Kenya.  Probably has been since 2002.  The August sham made me realize that even 2013 was also likely stolen.  Of course they won in the boycotted October elections and had no problem sharing unrequested server information because it did not contradict the outcome.
"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
The idea is to create a powerful independent parliament which will not be intimidated by the executive branch.  In order for this to happen, we need to create a wedge between the executive and the legislature so that we can stop the collusion which is denying us the dividends of a check and balance system.

One of the effects of handshake that is yet to be appreciated is that it may have started to create that wedge by blurring the lines between opposition and government in parliament  while making  the line between the legislature and executive branch  much brighter.  Mbadi's recent speech was actually doing that-trying to unite the legislatures against the executive by demonstrating to the parliament that the executive branch is their natural  enemy and not the opposition.

The problem is that Ruto has infiltrated the current Mt. Kenya legislatures  because he sponsored most of them. If we adopt the parliamentary system, it will therefore draw the lines between the parliament and the executive instead of between the opposition and the "party in power". This will also be a better tool to fight corruption and both the adversarial relationship between the executive branch and the legislature will make the judiciary stronger and more meaningful as the arbiter.

Kichwa, given the present parliamentary numbers how would an inclusive executive - PM/DPM - stop ODM from wallowing in the backbench. Uhuruto would just have more carrots to drain Raila team. Since even Raila acknowledges in the op-ed you shared that MP election was legit. There is no arrangement to include the opposition in government without introducing a sham democracy. Absconding checks and accountability role of parliament.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
I don't get how the parliamentary system amplifies the oversight authority of MPs. If Ministers are not MPs now - kina Matiang'i - is this not the proper separation? Contrast with old system where regional chiefs were the Ministers.

Sorry you don't make sense. Explain how the UK parliament is more effective than the US one. The US Congress - esp the House - is known to impeach swiftly. Unlike the UK House of Commons where the majority party rules and noone is ever impeached so long as they have more MPs.

The presidential system is the proper separation of powers and segregation of duty.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
In theory yes, the presidential system is the best checks and balances, but just as we have realized with many things, tribalism changes the implementation of governing systems imported from the west.  Tribalism is often not factored in when these theories are being discussed.  Who would have thought that the American successful checks and balances would be a total failure in Kenya.  The parliamentary system will work because it will make the executive very weak.  The powerful presidency is the tribal trophy that fuels tribalism.  This is the reason why Kalenjins will oppose the Parliamentary system because Ruto the president sounds much powerful and more prestigious for bragging rights than Ruto the  prime minister.  Once you take away the power of the presidency then the legislature may begin to build their power around the parliament rather than from the presidency.

I don't get how the parliamentary system amplifies the oversight authority of MPs. If Ministers are not MPs now - kina Matiang'i - is this not the proper separation? Contrast with old system where regional chiefs were the Ministers.

Sorry you don't make sense. Explain how the UK parliament is more effective than the US one. The US Congress - esp the House - is known to impeach swiftly. Unlike the UK House of Commons where the majority party rules and noone is ever impeached so long as they have more MPs.

The presidential system is the proper separation of powers and segregation of duty.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Kichwa upto 2010 we had a UK- or SA-esque system. After merging the state and government (governor general + PM) into a president of course we became semi-presidential or quasi-parliamentary. It's what we have always had except for the abuse of power, corruption and dictatorship like one-party rule. Legally Moi had to be the leader of the biggest party to be president before 1991. He had to balance or "include" all regional chiefs into the cabinet. Even in Nyanza and Central he had JJ Kamotho and Dalmas Otieno who were Kanu bigwigs to make up for lack of ground popularity - as Sec Gen & Vice Chair.

I am saying our problem - already noted - is impunity, incompetence and corruption. No system would work perfectly including the already tested and failed parliamentary system.

I support the parliamentary system for inclusion purposes. As purely propositioned by Kamket and Raila. The counties as they are - same reason. Regions were rejected due to their divisive nature especially for RV diaspora. But not now for the changes. They can't be done for Raila or Ruto or Uhuru. But for posterity.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
NARA quarrelsome 5 yr tenure made the PM-PORK thing very unpopular. And remember at that time still UhuRuto had worked their way to control the majority in parliament.

Now parliamentary system is just  the highest bidder win - and it will become so disfunctionally and corrupt - it ought not to be tried. I mean we know our Mpigs. Which sane kenyans would hand the future of the country to those charlatans.

We have 50% plus 1 presidential system - that already guarantee the majority wins and whoever become PORK has to win a large constitutuency- but I am okay if this was made 63% - but that would entail so many rounds of elections :)

Kichwa upto 2010 we had a UK- or SA-esque system. After merging the state and government (governor general + PM) into a president of course we became semi-presidential or quasi-parliamentary. It's what we have always had except for the abuse of power, corruption and dictatorship like one-party rule. Legally Moi had to be the leader of the biggest party to be president before 1991. He had to balance or "include" all regional chiefs into the cabinet. Even in Nyanza and Central he had JJ Kamotho and Dalmas Otieno who were Kanu bigwigs to make up for lack of ground popularity - as Sec Gen & Vice Chair.

I am saying our problem - already noted - is impunity, incompetence and corruption. No system would work perfectly including the already tested and failed parliamentary system.

I support the parliamentary system for inclusion purposes. As purely propositioned by Kamket and Raila. The counties as they are - same reason. Regions were rejected due to their divisive nature especially for RV diaspora. But not now for the changes. They can't be done for Raila or Ruto or Uhuru. But for posterity.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Executive PM ala UK or Israel. Not NARA makele hybrid. PM is new PORK while ceremonial PORK only rubberstamp - appoint judges, sign bills, etc with no real political power. Kenyans know they are voting for the party and its leader(s).

Kenyans are tribal and parliamentary ensures fair chance for Joho which is near impossible now. This is about equity. The biggest divider of Kenya is the feeling of marginalization by 2nd tier tribes... I voted No for this reason.

Of course nobody powerful especially Raila is really serious about referendum - except some gullible activists like Omtata - it's all a power play to mess Ruto. Handshake is Okoa Kenya 2.0.

We should try parliamentary, regional, etc in say 2035 - at least 25 years for the new system to be tested. For now I agree with Ruto it's time to deliver Uhuru Big 4... I hope he can beat the shenanigans without a lethal penalty.

NARA quarrelsome 5 yr tenure made the PM-PORK thing very unpopular. And remember at that time still UhuRuto had worked their way to control the majority in parliament.

Now parliamentary system is just  the highest bidder win - and it will become so disfunctionally and corrupt - it ought not to be tried. I mean we know our Mpigs. Which sane kenyans would hand the future of the country to those charlatans.

We have 50% plus 1 presidential system - that already guarantee the majority wins and whoever become PORK has to win a large constitutuency- but I am okay if this was made 63% - but that would entail so many rounds of elections :)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
It seems the handshake is Nirvhana. A magic wand. After the handshake is implemented Kenya will be the Garden of Eden. So it's more important than the constitution and all laws and manifestoes. According to Raila:

The nine-point agenda, which will now be implemented by a 14-member team unveiled last week, includes how to deal with ethnic antagonism, lack of national ethos, inclusivity, strengthening devolution, ending divisive elections, ensuring safety and security of Kenyans, ending corruption, and ensuring a shared prosperity.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
The power sharing issue must be settled first. If elections were free and fair then people would be willing to wait for 25 or 100 years. However, when elections are rigged and two tribes are bragging that they will rule for 100 years, the other tribes have to be out of their minds to sit around for 100 years to be marginalized, ridiculed and abused. That's a pipe dream.

Ouruto started this shenanigans of messing around with the electoral process and they have to deal with the backlash.

Under the first term of Ouruto,  the opposition was was ridiculed, marginalization, abused and rigged out in the most brazen, in-your-face, arrogant way possible. There is really nothing left  in the opposition and therefore nobody wants to be there. 

The current system was designed to work with a strong opposition. However under the arrogant Ouruto first term coupled with  their highly trifellow tribesmen has made the opposition unattractive by designing and defending a two tribe sytem of government and marginalizing everybody else.

Everybody now wants to be in government.  We therefore have to find a way to make the opposition feel that if they work hard they can win free an fair elections by reforming the electoral system. We also have to find a way to expand the government so that we do not have a government of two tribes like the first Ouruto term.  Parliamentary system seems to be the answer.

Without some kind of inclusivity, you can talk about economic development until you turn blue or whatever color  black people turn when they lose blood, and nobody will listen to you.

Executive PM ala UK or Israel. Not NARA makele hybrid. PM is new PORK while ceremonial PORK only rubberstamp - appoint judges, sign bills, etc with no real political power. Kenyans know they are voting for the party and its leader(s).

Kenyans are tribal and parliamentary ensures fair chance for Joho which is near impossible now. This is about equity. The biggest divider of Kenya is the feeling of marginalization by 2nd tier tribes... I voted No for this reason.

Of course nobody powerful especially Raila is really serious about referendum - except some gullible activists like Omtata - it's all a power play to mess Ruto. Handshake is Okoa Kenya 2.0.

We should try parliamentary, regional, etc in say 2035 - at least 25 years for the new system to be tested. For now I agree with Ruto it's time to deliver Uhuru Big 4... I hope he can beat the shenanigans without a lethal penalty.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
I am with you Kichwa on parliamentary being better in a diverse polarized society. But Jubilee is the biggest party and I don't see it as Raila's intent to just change new title for Prime Minister Ruto. Kenyans are corrupt - the system of government will not stop Ruto or anyone from buying defectors or IEBC to win. I don't speak for Raila but I read only a determination to scuttle Jubilee and Ruto's plans.

Your hopes are good but don't save them in the wrong basket. As soon as realignments materialize don't be disappointed to see Raila back a new pure PORK all the way to the Hill. :D

This is power. The country be damned.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
You do not know Raila. You only know him from the massive propaganda machinery. Raila really means well for this country, otherwise he would not have toshad Kibaki, or shook hands with both Kibaki and Ouru to bring about peace. Some people even think he is weak because he always gives-in/sacrifices when he believes the country must come first.  Moi jailed him for 10 years and yet he joined him in Kanu and went to see him two weeks ago. The guy genuinely cares for this country.

The parliamentary system is not Raila's brainchild. The Bomas draft which involved many experts and which was drafter after talking to many people, also recommended the parliamentary system.

The presidential system has been given a chance and it failed. It failed because it adds fuel to the already charged tribal Kenya. The Jubilee "majority" is a product of the presidential system.  Once you remove the imperial presidency there will be no need for Jubilee because it is not held together by ideology but with the need of Kikuyus and Kalenjins to stick together so that they can dominate the executive branch and the parliament. Once you remove that incentive then the MP's will become more independent and will start being loyal to their local needs and to ideas. Also, when the people have confidence in the electoral process then the opposition can work hard to be in the majority in the next elections.  Even if jubilee is still the majority, they can pick a prime minister from any tribe. Under the current imperial presidential system, Jubilee can only run a Kalenjin or a Kikuyu as president.

I am with you Kichwa on parliamentary being better in a diverse polarized society. But Jubilee is the biggest party and I don't see it as Raila's intent to just change new title for Prime Minister Ruto. Kenyans are corrupt - the system of government will not stop Ruto or anyone from buying defectors or IEBC to win. I don't speak for Raila but I read only a determination to scuttle Jubilee and Ruto's plans.

Your hopes are good but don't save them in the wrong basket. As soon as realignments materialize don't be disappointed to see Raila back a new pure PORK all the way to the Hill. :D

This is power. The country be damned.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Kichwa would be very disappointed once the Executive PM turns out to be more corrupt and incompetent than ever. Moi was a PM for all intents and purposes.

Corruption, impunity incompetence - these vices are cultural and are not simply caused by the governance structure. You said it yourself: the magical US system has fallen flat in Kenya.

Look at the other thread where bitmask laments Keter's and Amina's incompetence. Blackouts and sky-priced power are the norm yet the CS continues to smile for the cameras with impunity. Not even ODM is demanding his firing! Mwakwere was equally incompetent despite being an MP and accountable to Parliament. Nothing to do with the structure but our culture of tolerating incompetence and not punishing the government for it.

In the UK, after Carribean immigrants demod over "mistreatment" by the government, the Home Secretary quit. Parliament was not gona fire her with the Conservative majority. She quit out of principle - an alien concept in Kenya.

Therefore, Kichwa, you did the full circle over tribalism in our politics. You will do the same over "inclusion" and the governance structure. A few people will be all smiles for being included as PM or DPM or Senior Minister... the troubles that plague Sub Sahara are much deeper and not so simple to solve.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
I agree but we have to keep looking for answers.  I agreed that politics in Kenya is tribal but that we have to appeal to the voters minds too. I agreed with Moon-ki that Kenya is not ready for people's revolution, but I thought we should induce it instead of throwing our hands up. I agreed that the courts could be biased but I thought we should go to court anyway and we did win the first round.  I endorsed boycott of the elections, the swearing in of Raila and the handshake. They may appear contradictory but I see them as progressive and persistent methods of struggle. I also agree that tribalism may yet again derail the parliamentary system but I think we have no choice but to try it rather than stick with the presidential system which has failed and which we know only exacerbates tribalism. I do not believe in giving up and throwing up our arms like Ouru did with corruption is an option.

Kichwa would be very disappointed once the Executive PM turns out to be more corrupt and incompetent than ever. Moi was a PM for all intents and purposes.

Corruption, impunity incompetence - these vices are cultural and are not simply caused by the governance structure. You said it yourself: the magical US system has fallen flat in Kenya.

Look at the other thread where bitmask laments Keter's and Amina's incompetence. Blackouts and sky-priced power are the norm yet the CS continues to smile for the cameras with impunity. Not even ODM is demanding his firing! Mwakwere was equally incompetent despite being an MP and accountable to Parliament. Nothing to do with the structure but our culture of tolerating incompetence and not punishing the government for it.

In the UK, after Carribean immigrants demod over "mistreatment" by the government, the Home Secretary quit. Parliament was not gona fire her with the Conservative majority. She quit out of principle - an alien concept in Kenya.

Therefore, Kichwa, you did the full circle over tribalism in our politics. You will do the same over "inclusion" and the governance structure. A few people will be all smiles for being included as PM or DPM or Senior Minister... the troubles that plague Sub Sahara are much deeper and not so simple to solve.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
All previous and current attempt to re-write the constitution has been nothing more than power games. Right now all the attempt at changing constitution is targeted at WSR - who is the heir apparent. The idea is to dilute his "power" in 2022 by adding PM and other "NUSU Mkate" ideas.

If Ruto was to drop dead now - all the clamor for constitutional change will dissipate as everyone now get a shot at PORK. Right now they now they cannot beat Jubilee machinery that has Ruto super-charging to 2022.

As regard Raila modus operandi - it obvious - when he has no chance to PORK - he goes for PM. That he did in 2003-2005 when Kibaki was PORK but in 2010 when he thought he was the man to beat in 2013 - he wanted a strong presidential systems. That system of course benefited UhuRuto.

Now Raila has realized he can't win PORK - so he's probably thinking of becoming a kingmaker in exchange of a PM position. He knows GEMA won't vote him. Kambas won't. Luhyas won't. Kalenjin won't. All due to MOU and historical reasons. So his realistic chance is to prop somebody and get PM - executive PM if possible.

And that is all there is to this...the rest is details.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Of course it's all about Ruto. I think you're wrong thinking Raila really wants PM. He wants to drive a wedge and break up Jubilee. One wedge with GEMA the other one with smaller tribes. The fact that Ruto was kept in the dark about Handshake talks means he has is succeeding.

All previous and current attempt to re-write the constitution has been nothing more than power games. Right now all the attempt at changing constitution is targeted at WSR - who is the heir apparent. The idea is to dilute his "power" in 2022 by adding PM and other "NUSU Mkate" ideas.

If Ruto was to drop dead now - all the clamor for constitutional change will dissipate as everyone now get a shot at PORK. Right now they now they cannot beat Jubilee machinery that has Ruto super-charging to 2022.

As regard Raila modus operandi - it obvious - when he has no chance to PORK - he goes for PM. That he did in 2003-2005 when Kibaki was PORK but in 2010 when he thought he was the man to beat in 2013 - he wanted a strong presidential systems. That system of course benefited UhuRuto.

Now Raila has realized he can't win PORK - so he's probably thinking of becoming a kingmaker in exchange of a PM position. He knows GEMA won't vote him. Kambas won't. Luhyas won't. Kalenjin won't. All due to MOU and historical reasons. So his realistic chance is to prop somebody and get PM - executive PM if possible.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Robina - I think the man to watch is Uhuru - and I doubt that 1) he kept Ruto in the dark 2) That he intend to torpedo Jubilee for some Raila wild ideas. It obvious to me that Uhuru is playing Raila. He has basically told Ruto and Jubileee that Raila's handshake is a personal project  of his - a side job of handling & managing Raila  - and has basically protected the gov from NUSU-Mkate. That doesn't tell you of some tight coupling.

Uhuru will engage and keep Raila busy with 'fighting tribalism, corruption" while his gov will focus on governing. That is genius. And all Raila get is a motorcade with a siren...and a council of elders to keep him busy.

Obviously if Raila had some real brains he'd have insisted on some minumum gurantees from Uhuru - at minumum an "Act of Parliament" to underpin the hand-shake and give it legal status.

As of now you've 2 strangers appointing 14 strangers in a strange secretariat that will probably be funded by donors :) . At the minimum Raila should demand Uhuru issued an executive order that gazette and establish this 'secretariat'.

Of course it's all about Ruto. I think you're wrong thinking Raila really wants PM. He wants to drive a wedge and break up Jubilee. One wedge with GEMA the other one with smaller tribes. The fact that Ruto was kept in the dark about Handshake talks means he has is succeeding.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Uhuru will engage and keep Raila busy with 'fighting tribalism, corruption" while his gov will focus on governing. That is genius. And all Raila get is a motorcade with a siren...and a council of elders to keep him busy.

The hustler's acolytes are not buying the genius.
https://www.nation.co.ke/news/politics/Raila-pact-ruining-Uhuru-Ruto-amity--lament-Jubilee-MPs-/1064-4553724-u886q5/index.html
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman