Author Topic: Kenyan crafts and basic tourist goods are just garbage  (Read 832 times)

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
Kenyan crafts and basic tourist goods are just garbage
« on: July 30, 2017, 03:20:17 PM »
why cannt those jambo kenya type of tshirts be made with modern materials.. right now the garbage being sold in nairobi is just useless after one wash the think becomes a brick, it is hemmed with sindano and makes wearing it a nightmare.. I had a friend trying to get me to help them sell those curios and crafts being manufactured in kenya.. that shit has no utility value and very few Americans would even bother with such awful products.. I usually test Kenya goods with local americans and you can tell how pathetic something is when you give it to a kid and they do not even bother using it.. Do not even get me started with sandals.. Jua kali is a curse

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: Kenyan crafts and basic tourist goods are just garbage
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 03:21:03 AM »
I see it this way: jua kali
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
Re: Kenyan crafts and basic tourist goods are just garbage
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 04:33:15 AM »
I see it this way: jua kaliMaasai brandCrafts are a latent natural asset. Very under-leveraged. I think what lacks is organization. Bollywood and Nollywood had governmental input at least in the beginning. Government is better placed to facilitate

All true.   I don't know if you remember this story from a few years ago:

In a recent report with Bloomberg News, New Zealander, Ron Layton has teamed up with Maasai elders in an effort to educate the Maasai people on copyright, patents and trademarks. Layton, who specializes in advising organizations on copyright issues, estimates six companies have each made more than $100 million in annual sales during the last decade using the Maasai name.

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2013/11/maasai-want-royalties-use-name/

You can be sure that the Maasai aren't seeing any of that annual $100 million.

GoK could have helped in numerous ways---e.g. with trademarks etc.---but has never been bothered.  In the USA, the Navajo, for example, have been quite upfront in chasing those who use their name.    The last skirmish was with Urban Outfitters:

https://indiancountrymedianetwork.com/news/native-news/navajo-nation-and-urban-outfitters-reach-agreement-on-appropriation/

Kenyans are late starters in this sort of thing, but even then so far, GoK has done bugger-all for the Masaai.  It has taken some foreign mzungu and the help of Uncle Sam to even get started:

For the last four years, with help from a $1.25 million grant from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Layton and ole Tialolo have been diligently working on their case.

Other than the obvious bureaucratic stuff, the government could help in numerous ways that would lead to more creativity in the "branded" products.   

And Globalcitizen12 does have a point on quality: those who are making a real killing from things like the Masai brand are mostly producing things of very high quality; shoddily hacked,  off-the-street carvings or whatever don't seem to go that far, regardless of their "cultural value".   
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.