Author Topic: Vooke: Mutoko Sister  (Read 8813 times)

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Vooke: Mutoko Sister
« on: September 14, 2014, 12:52:57 PM »
Quote from: vooke
Chances of a bathroom accident taking you out is one in a million. They should be more forthright or mourn away from the public

Actually it is very easy to die in a bathroom. Having seen the wiring done in Kenya and the poor ventilation and waste water arrangements, I have no doubt that the danger and risk is greater than your figure.

Pipes are never properly earthed and most buildings are earthed with poor quality stuff from China and some made locally. Since scrape metal became a goldmine for the common man, perhaps you should check whether your palace still has an earthing system. The watchman could have long dug it out and sold, leaving you at the mercy of providence. The next time you touch a wall, you may find yourself watching as you die from 415 volt shock.

For some reason when a house loses earthing, it is the bathroom that gets affected first.

The drainage system can also fill up the room with killer gases.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Logan

• VIP
  • Superstar
Re: Vooke: Mutoko Sister
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »
Forget the potent shoddy wiring..

What other potential fatal mishaps can you identify in this humongous pos?   :(

What they call luxury at home are sometimes "tasteless death traps".
And Life Goes On..

Offline jakoyo

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 09:47:41 PM »
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, every year about 235,000 people over age 15 visit emergency rooms because of injuries suffered in the bathroom, and almost 14 percent are hospitalized.

More than a third of the injuries happen while bathing or showering. More than 14 percent occur while using the toilet.

Injuries increase with age, peaking after 85, the researchers found. But injuries around the tub or shower are proportionately most common among those ages 15 to 24 and least common among those over 85. People over 85 suffer more than half of their injuries near the toilet.

Fainting is not a common cause of injury, but it occurred most often in the 15-to-24 age group. Alcohol use may be a factor, the researchers suggested, but there is no data to prove it.

The bathroom injury rate for women was 72 percent higher than for men, the analysis found. Studies have shown that women are at higher risk than men for injuries in falls, and the authors speculate that the disparity might also be attributed to differences in physical activity, lower-body strength, bone mass or even more willingness to seek treatment.

The most hazardous activities for all ages are bathing, showering and getting out of the tub or shower.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/health/research/16stats.html?_r=0

Offline jakoyo

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 09:55:39 PM »
A must read for all

Most people tend to look at their bathroom as a retreat away from the world. They never, for one second, consider that this room can be extremely dangerous at times.

A recent study showed that one of the singlest biggest gaps in most home safety plans was the bathroom. Look at the bathroom itself. When you're in there you're surrounded by water, slippery tiles and hard ceramic surfaces. These could quite easily cause injury were you to fall against them. Believe it or not you're more likely to have an accident in your bathroom than any other room in your home! Anybody who has slipped in their shower will be able to identify with this fact. The overall lack of safety awareness in most homes means that many bathrooms are accidents just waiting to happen.

Your bathroom is filled with water - it's everywhere in the room - from the sink to the bath tub or shower. Walking on or around water in your bare feet increases the risk of injury 100%. It's amazing how many people won't user a shower mat or slippers while walking around on soap and water.

Many of the latest bath and shower units do come with specially etched floors which are designed to prevent slippage. That being said there's absolutely no harm in having a bath or shower mat present also. If you're not taking precautions then you're taking risks. Sadly people are fatally injured in bathroom falls each and every day. Prevent yourself from becoming a statistic!

Now it's time to look at the bathroom floor itself. What type of surface is it?

If the bathroom has tiles on the floor then make sure that either they're non-slip tiles or that they're coated with something to prevent you from slipping and falling.

If you can't find something to coat them with then make sure you use rubber-backed bathroom rugs to cover the main areas of the floor - especially near the sink itself. There's always the options of recovering the bathroom floor with perhaps a tough industrial carpet (not very attractive but you won't slip on it) or replacing those slippery tiles with another type that are designed for bathrooms. Many people just use normal wall tiles on bathroom floors - this is incredibly dangerous! Your local home decor or DIY store will be able to offer lots of advice on this subject.

Now finally look at the various fixtures and fittings that are dotted around the bathroom. There are shelves, cabinets, nozzles, faucets and furniture items all around the room. The vast majority of bathrooms are designed with form and aesthetics as opposed to functionality and safety. You'll notice faucets with pointed eges, mirrors with no surround or shatterproof coating etc. These fixtures in bathrooms are the ones most often responsible for head injuries and are therefore one of the single biggest concerns that you need to address in your new drive for bathroom safety.

Why neglect safety in your bathroom when you'd never dream of neglecting it in any other family room? It's only when you open your eyes to the possible dangers present that they really do become clear. Hopefully the above has given you something to think about in this regard.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/203171/bathroom_decor/bathroom_safety___stop_accidents_before_they_happen.html

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 10:00:02 PM »
A bathtub is literally speaking, a small swimming pool. People who cannot swim must avoid using it.

I agree with you about ventilation and short circuiting. I have rented hotel rooms with faulty instant hot showers that spout charged waters. The government should be strict on quality of construction, especially in urban areas.

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 10:03:49 PM »
Forget the potent shoddy wiring..

What other potential fatal mishaps can you identify in this humongous pos?   :(

What they call luxury at home are sometimes "tasteless death traps".

That looks like one of Egyptians kings holly tomb :)

The flash toilet is the icon human civilization --cc

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 10:18:48 PM »
we have focused on accidents. But there are other issues... hygiene and maladies. In my time working in the "bush" I have had my share of using extremely unhealthy "bathrooms". Most are dirty rooms. The worst are the cemented and brick walled. You can see a thick layer of skin, fat and God only knows what else on the walls and the floor. In cases where it doubles as a toilet, then you see faeces and all manner of hazards.

These may lead to accidents if you slip and fall. But the greatest danger is getting an ailment that would lead to the same result as an accident, only a bit slower, more expensive and painful.

Note that people have the habit of passing water while showering. You can smell the putrid stench upon entry. I have always asked myself when entering one of these whether I am going in to get clean or do the exact opposite. I therefore decided a long time ago to find a secluded place out there and take by "shower". I just find African and Asian average bathrooms too unhygienic and an ever increasing hazard to all those who use it.

Diseases like Bilharzia and countless skin ailments are ever present. Add to hazards such as rusty nails, sharp edges of iron sheets and wooden splinters that could inflict real harm if you happen to have a big body mass and you see where we are.

To complete the story is the height of these constructions. Most African houses still follow some old British standards as far as height goes. Since independence, the average height has been rising. I can disclose that I am 1.85. I have problems in many African houses and have often hit my head in door frames and found it uncomfortable in smaller rooms like toilets and bathrooms. I can't even talk about the length of the so called "standard beds" which force me to sleep in a "question mark" formation  :D

The Kitchen table is too low and the so called sofas are no better than sink-holes. Where is 4archiect to explain this failure to bring "standards" up to date? Pundit, who is responsible for setting population averages to force Mattress and bed manufacturers to make longer beds and architects to raise the ceilings???
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline jakoyo

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 10:30:29 PM »
@ Omollo.

Number of toilets and bathrooms should be  propotionate to the number of house hold dweller. Ideally. We lived in the Parkroad. Two bedroom , one sitting room, one kitchen, one toilet and one shower room ( no bath tubs- thank god)

Won't tell you how many people lived in that house ( Family + few cousins). Sleeping time - all rooms ( except toilet and bathroom were turned in to bedrooms.

Situation in Nairobi now worse. Very tiny tiny tiny rooms packed with humans

I prefer my mashinani - space , land, big house

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 10:40:50 PM »
I have twice black out in bathroom..fell and i guess fainted momentarily..normally the mistake you make is to wake up quickly and ran to pee.....before you know the world is turning upside down..and you're going to fall with a thud..and probably faint.

In both instance all i remember was desperately trying to hold onto something..before i woke up....to find i have fainted..and with scar on my face.

Something about the blood circulation  or pressure not quickly getting to your brain.

Just learn to wake up slowly.....before rushing to the bathroom.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 01:17:36 AM »
A very bad accident happened last week.
A 22yr old from my church had finished exercising and was waiting for a train to go home. When she saw the train coming, she got up as the train was pulling to the station. Unknown to her, her blood pressure must have been very low because she had exercised and was sitting. She fainted at that moment and fell right onto an oncoming train. She lost her life. Very bright girl, who was getting ready to work for Apple Computers.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 06:45:41 AM »
Very common problem..when you're sitting or sleeping..do not wake up quickly...learn to wake up slowly.
A very bad accident happened last week.
A 22yr old from my church had finished exercising and was waiting for a train to go home. When she saw the train coming, she got up as the train was pulling to the station. Unknown to her, her blood pressure must have been very low because she had exercised and was sitting. She fainted at that moment and fell right onto an oncoming train. She lost her life. Very bright girl, who was getting ready to work for Apple Computers.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 07:59:07 AM »
I nver seen any bathroom outside Kenia and I have always thought they all look alike; glasses, tiles and extremely slipperly. I think I have used my bathtub once this year. That's one place I hate. The idea of water being heated by live wire just above me sometimes paralyzes me. I imagine being zapped
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline bryan275

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 11:01:05 AM »
Pastor,

The instant hot water showers in Kenya are very very dangerous.  One I used in February came with a very specific on and off procedure.  Turn on the water first then the electric switch located outside the shower room.  Failing to do this would result in a shocking experience as live current flows through the whole mechanism including pipework whilst the shower is running.  Turning off was the reverse, electric off first then handle the taps.

As a family we've resorted to cold showers ama basin when in Kenya.  I don't fancy dying whilst naked and wet...lol

Check out the deathtraps below, naked electric cables, water...steam..wololo

This is how it should be done

Or if you've got the resources...

Safety non slip flooring is a must. 

We run a company that can supply kit for wet rooms that will ensure non slip and separate the water from the electricity.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 11:23:03 AM »
Public toilets. Swarming with potential epidemics. Avoid.

Offline jakoyo

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 01:22:51 PM »

:hee20hee20hee:
Pastor,

As a family we've resorted to cold showers ama basin when in Kenya.  I don't fancy dying whilst naked and wet...lol

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 01:34:09 PM »
I remember cold water bucket baths in Kenya. I guess you got used to it after awhile. When I was homeless in Sydney twice, I was blessed to have been surrounded by amenities. I used to take a nice hot shower at the gym, at uni. Public showers with hot water everywhere in these parts. You don't necessarily have to have a home in Sydney. You could survive by having everything in storage and wondering about.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 02:59:54 PM »
I have twice black out in bathroom..fell and i guess fainted momentarily..normally the mistake you make is to wake up quickly and ran to pee.....before you know the world is turning upside down..and you're going to fall with a thud..and probably faint.

In both instance all i remember was desperately trying to hold onto something..before i woke up....to find i have fainted..and with scar on my face.

Something about the blood circulation  or pressure not quickly getting to your brain.

Just learn to wake up slowly.....before rushing to the bathroom.

Pundit

You are mixing issues. Fainting (as in passing out) and falling (as in trip and fall) are two different things. You are probably orthostatic that is why when you wake up to suddenly the blood drains from your brains and pools on your feet causing you to pass out. In your case its okay to rise up slowly. That can be corected by drinking lots of fluids ie water, especially if you are a drinker. Alcohol is a diuretic that makes you loose alot of body water causing dehydration as well and exposing you to fainting. Kenyans should start using non slippery tiles like the ones people use in their kitchens to minimize falling especially with those sharp edges everywhere, or eliminate bathtubs all together for a stand in shower. scary.
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 03:11:52 PM »
Mya,
Thanks for the tips. orthostatic iyo ni gani. Let me google.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 03:16:47 PM »
Mya,
Thanks for the tips. orthostatic iyo ni gani. Let me google.

google orthostatic hypotension.
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 03:24:01 PM »
Got it. Used to happen to me growing up..nothing serious...the falling and temporarily lose of consciousness happen to me twice i think 2 or 3 yrs ago...all the time...i had been drinking in my couch later at night..and gone for a pee.
google orthostatic hypotension.