Author Topic: Ignorance of Nipateans on The Political Parties (Amendment) Bill is astounding!  (Read 1982 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
The Republic of Kenya shall be a multi-party democratic State
founded on the national values and principles of governance referred
to in Article 10.

The word party is mentioned 58 times!!!

I dont see this one surviving a constitutional court assault.

This makes it a more funnier confused mongrel, UDA is in a coalition with Jubilee Party STOP then Jubilee will enter a coalition with ODM!

Offline audacityofhope

• VIP
  • Enigma
This makes it a more funnier confused mongrel, UDA is in a coalition with Jubilee Party STOP then Jubilee will enter a coalition with ODM!
You are right about that. Really messy indeed. But if we abide by the 4-months deadline in the Political parties bill then come April 10th, new coalition formation must be completed. UDA and ODM will be in different coalitions. Jubilee party will either be with UDA or ODM but NOT both. That will settle it. All the more reason this Political parties (Amendment) Bill must pass to minimize the confusion.

Offline audacityofhope

• VIP
  • Enigma
It was already a confused mongrel. The PP(Amendment) Bill is attempting to fix the confusion that often arises and has enabled party hopping with reckless abandon in the past!

(See, if you cite authorities like you have done, I gadly respond to your post).

to in Article 10.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Dont confuse confusion with indecision; The real confusion is to have ODM has a party and as coalition; where members are either  individuals or corporates; so basically ODM can have usual members; but also DAP of Bungoma can become a corporate member of ODM. That will lead to lots of messy especially when divorce happens.

You are right about that. Really messy indeed. But if we abide by the 4-months deadline in the Political parties bill then come April 10th, new coalition formation must be completed. UDA and ODM will be in different coalitions. Jubilee party will either be with UDA or ODM but NOT both. That will settle it. All the more reason this Political parties (Amendment) Bill must pass to minimize the confusion.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
There was no confusion. What we have had in Kenya is parties failing to honour their MOUs beginning with Kibaki's NAK and LDP MOU - and recently NASA coalition.

The real problem is changing the meaning of political party to include political coalition party. That I find offensive to our katiba and will be thrown out. The constitution talks about parties. Parties should form coalition. This new mongrel called party coalition party - with corporate membership and individual membership is a big problem.

Otherwise nobody has problems codifying how parties in coalition can share funds, sign and honour mous - those are okay - to prevent Raila odinga shafting NASA principals - by claiming all the funds are ODM despite being NASA.

The only coalition in kenya that has worked was Jubilee coalition - URP/TNA - plus little of NARC/Balala.  It worked so well it became a political party by parties collapsing.

It was already a confused mongrel. The PP(Amendment) Bill is attempting to fix the confusion that often arises and has enabled party hopping with reckless abandon in the past!

See if you cite authorities like you have done, I am gladly respond to your post.

to in Article 10.

Offline audacityofhope

• VIP
  • Enigma
Send your senator to raise these concerns before the PP (Amendment) Bill becomes law. It seems your MP was asleep  or incapable when the bill was passed by the National Assembly.
Dont confuse confusion with indecision; The real confusion is to have ODM has a party and as coalition; where members are either  individuals or corporates; so basically ODM can have usual members; but also DAP of Bungoma can become a corporate member of ODM. That will lead to lots of messy especially when divorce happens.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
These issues were raised and like BBI Azimio la Ujinga has bulldozed it - and it will be declated Null and VOID by any constitutional court. Shida yako nini haswa?

We can participate in many ways - while in law making - and post law making by going to court.

Nipate is one such forum to interrogate this odious rushed ammendment.

Send your senator to raise these concerns before the PP (Amendment) Bill becomes law. It seems your MP was asleep  or incapable when the bill was passed by the National Assembly.

Offline audacityofhope

• VIP
  • Enigma
Those of you posting lines like "ODM will be lucky to have 30 MPs" (@Pundit) or that "UDA will have contestants in EVERY constituency and Ward" (low IQ @Nowayhaha) haven't a clue on what the Political Parties (Amendment) Bill is about or its implications on individual parties. I will not bother posting a link because you can easily Google that!

The bill which has already sailed through the National Assembly seeks to introduce the terminology  of "coalition party" which in effect means coalitions will have to make compromises on fielding candidates. 

As an example, here is Hon Tim Wanyonyi crying foul as he watches his dream of contesting Governorship of Nairobi being pulled from under his feet.
https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2022-01-11-dont-sacrifice-me-for-raila-says-mp-wanyonyi/
I think Tim is sleeping better now that Azimio heard his cries:

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Tim will carry it if Azimio give him the ticket; he is popular in Nairobi and I would vote for him unless UDA give us better than Wanjiru

Offline Nowayhaha

• VIP
  • Enigma

The blessing in disguise which happened was the cancellation of by election. Wanjiru had bought the nomination cert from Muthama and she was going to easily win. Just like 2017 I dont think she will win the nominations .One needs mobilization tactics like sonko , lots of money and thugs to win nomination.Depending on  competitors its easy to win on election day.
Tim will carry it if Azimio give him the ticket; he is popular in Nairobi and I would vote for him unless UDA give us better than Wanjiru