Author Topic: Kenya orders 1.1m tablets from China  (Read 29986 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Kenya orders 1.1m tablets from China
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2016, 09:55:27 PM »
This may sound bad until you read stats from other countries in Africa and in developed world including the US.  This can only make sense if you're comparing kenya to another country. Our quality of education of course is not the best. I'd wager a 40 or such position in the world...and this laptop project is part of investment we need to move to developed world kind of standards.

The point remain Kenya has without doubt one of best education system in Africa and is up there in world ranking. It can go to Singapore or Shanghai standard with more and more investment. This is one such timely investment.

Here in 2011- Kenya ranked second in Southern and Eastern Africa after Mauritus -in SACMEQ
http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Kenyan+pupils+top+in+Africa+/-/1056/1286490/-/view/printVersion/-/wta2f3/-/index.html

http://www.sacmeq.org/ReadingMathScores

As I have pointed out in other matters, being the best or second best of a down-and-out lot does not tell us much.

GOK's National Education Sector Plan 2013-2018 will be found here:  http://www.globalpartnership.org/content/education-sector-plan-2013-2018-kenya

Among the things it tells us (page 34):

- only 3 out of 10 children in class managed to perform class 2 work
- 11 out of 100 learners in class 8 were not able to perform simple standard 2 mathematics problems
- 7 out of 100 learners were not able to read a simple story in English of Kiswahili

I'd worry about such things before I got worked up about laptops for toddlers.

Education attainment at secondary school level is low with three quarters of candidates not achieving the minimum grades desirable for admission in university of other middle level colleges.

75% is a staggering figure.     

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2016, 01:37:27 AM »
This may sound bad until you read stats from other countries in Africa and in developed world including the US.  This can only make sense if you're comparing kenya to another country.

Actually if you look at that report, the primary-school figures I have come right after a commentary on SAQMEQ III results (which are about other countries as well).   On secondary school performance, on the other hand, an absolute statement is given: 75% not being able to hack is simply considered "poor quality", and the 8-4-4 system is dragged in, by way of explanation. 

The point remain Kenya has without doubt one of best education system in Africa and is up there in world ranking. It can go to Singapore or Shanghai standard with more and more investment. This is one such timely investment.

You've found me in a good mood today, so let me continue with my educational exercise.  On your "best in Africa", we'll skip the bit about how the data (SAQMEQ etc.) you provided at various links above is limited to 15 countries and two regions in Africa.   Nor should it be necessary to again point out the limitations of "best of the worst".  Note this:

The quality of education in the 15 countries is still poor
Your link: http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Kenyan+pupils+top+in+Africa+/-/1056/1286490/-/view/printVersion/-/wta2f3/-/index.html

In other words, Kenya is doing well among 15 countries with crappy education systems.  That doesn't sound like something worth a lot of excitement.

The preceding is another point that will probably be too subtle for you, but I encourage you to persevere and try to understand it.     In general, try to put a little effort into understanding just what it is that you are reading and how to interpret it both "in place" and in wider context.   

Let's move on.

The WEF survey under discussion has several questions on perceptions.    According to you those, regardless of the nature of the question, somehow indicate objective rankings on quality.    Kenya has several "rankings" in education that place it as numbers 36, 63, 84, etc.   You have picked on the no. 36 one to claim that Kenya's education system is the top 40 worldwide ... that's the one with the question:

In your country, how well does the education system meet the needs of a competitive economy? (1 = not well at all; 7 = extremely well)

According to your interpretation, Kenya therefore has better education than Austria, Taiwan, Israel, South Korea, etc. Really?   Never mind.     Let me give you a specific example that will perhaps clarify things for you.   

According to your bizarre interpretation on that one question, the quality of education in Indonesia is (at "rank" 41) is better  than that of Taiwan (at "rank" 46) and South Korea (at "rank" 66).   I don't think one needs to look at the data to see how bizarre that conclusion is.   But I'll give you some data anyway.

On the PISA tests, the rankings are as follows:

TAIWAN: Maths - 7, Science - 13, Reading - 7

SOUTH KOREA: Maths - 5, Science - 7, Reading - 6

INDONESIA: Maths - 64, Science - 64, Reading - 60
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment

By the way, while people are spilling seed over how GoK/Jubilee is "doing great" by dishing out laptops and tablets, and there is plenty of kula nyama, there's the lead article of today's online Daily Nation, on some very basic things.     This one:

http://www.nation.co.ke/newsplex/Hunger/2718262-3419114-uxt5piz/index.html
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #142 on: October 17, 2016, 06:15:48 AM »
You lost me in this long tirade against WEF. Southern and Eastern Africa is very good indicator of where Kenya would rank in Africa. I am not sure what other heavy hitters you'll find outside of South Africa, Mauritus, Botswana,Namibia, Syechelles and Zim. Maybe Cape Verde is missing? Fact remain kenya beat the likes of South Africa and is only behind Mauritus (a high middle class country). Kenya has not participated in PISA..so we won't know how it will rank...so for know we will stick to comparative data that exist. That is WEF's Global Competitive Index and maybe SACMEQ. Education is basic thing...so don't open another front (hunger). In any case Kenya is doing well if you consider the problems it has with 2/3 of the country that is semi-arid and arid...something you cannot find in say Uganda or many of these African countries in southern hemisphere not plagued by the Sahara desert.
This may sound bad until you read stats from other countries in Africa and in developed world including the US.  This can only make sense if you're comparing kenya to another country.

Actually if you look at that report, the primary-school figures I have come right after a commentary on SAQMEQ III results (which are about other countries as well).   On secondary school performance, on the other hand, an absolute statement is given: 75% not being able to hack is simply considered "poor quality", and the 8-4-4 system is dragged in, by way of explanation. 

You've found me in a good mood today, so let me continue with my educational exercise.  On your "best in Africa", we'll skip the bit about how the data (SAQMEQ etc.) you provided at various links above is limited to 15 countries and two regions in Africa.   Nor should it be necessary to again point out the limitations of "best of the worst".  Note this:

The quality of education in the 15 countries is still poor
Your link: http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Kenyan+pupils+top+in+Africa+/-/1056/1286490/-/view/printVersion/-/wta2f3/-/index.html

In other words, Kenya is doing well among 15 countries with crappy education systems.  That doesn't sound like something worth a lot of excitement.

The preceding is another point that will probably be too subtle for you, but I encourage you to persevere and try to understand it.     In general, try to put a little effort into understanding just what it is that you are reading and how to interpret it both "in place" and in wider context.   

Let's move on.

The WEF survey under discussion has several questions on perceptions.    According to you those, regardless of the nature of the question, somehow indicate objective rankings on quality.    Kenya has several "rankings" in education that place it as numbers 36, 63, 84, etc.   You have picked on the no. 36 one to claim that Kenya's education system is the top 40 worldwide ... that's the one with the question:

In your country, how well does the education system meet the needs of a competitive economy? (1 = not well at all; 7 = extremely well)

According to your interpretation, Kenya therefore has better education than Austria, Taiwan, Israel, South Korea, etc. Really?   Never mind.     Let me give you a specific example that will perhaps clarify things for you.   

According to your bizarre interpretation on that one question, the quality of education in Indonesia is (at "rank" 41) is better  than that of Taiwan (at "rank" 46) and South Korea (at "rank" 66).   I don't think one needs to look at the data to see how bizarre that conclusion is.   But I'll give you some data anyway.

On the PISA tests, the rankings are as follows:

TAIWAN: Maths - 7, Science - 13, Reading - 7

SOUTH KOREA: Maths - 5, Science - 7, Reading - 6

INDONESIA: Maths - 64, Science - 64, Reading - 60
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment

By the way, while people are spilling seed over how GoK/Jubilee is "doing great" by dishing out laptops and tablets, and there is plenty of kula nyama, there's the lead article of today's online Daily Nation, on some very basic things.     This one:

http://www.nation.co.ke/newsplex/Hunger/2718262-3419114-uxt5piz/index.html

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #143 on: October 17, 2016, 06:59:26 AM »
You lost me in this long tirade against WEF. Southern and Eastern Africa is very good indicator of where Kenya would rank in Africa. I am not sure what other heavy hitters you'll find outside of South Africa, Mauritus, Botswana,Namibia, Syechelles and Zim. Maybe Cape Verde is missing? Fact remain kenya beat the likes of South Africa and is only behind Mauritus (a high middle class country). Kenya has not participated in PISA..so we won't know how it will rank...so for know we will stick to comparative data that exist. That is WEF's Global Competitive Index and maybe SACMEQ. Education is basic thing..

Yes, I'm not surprised that you feel lost. And the "tirade", as you call it, is actually about your bizarre interpretations and is an attempt to enlighten you.   As I indicated, I'm sure the points I have made are too subtle for you.    That is why I encouraged you take to your time and work on it.   For example on your "very good indicator of where Kenya would rank in Africa" review what I have written above on "best in Africa"; I have even put in colours (especially red) to help you spot some particular aspects.   Hopefully you will now have less trouble with that.   The WEF one is obviously quite a challenge for you.   Hang in there, and work on it: interpretation (yours).     

I think I'm done with this one.   I'm sure that all other Nipateans have got the points; so ask for assistance elsewhere if you still have difficulties.    Best of luck!

Education is basic thing...so don't open another front (hunger). In any case Kenya is doing well if you consider the problems it has with 2/3 of the country that is semi-arid and arid...

Some would say that food is more basic than education.   You also seem to be unaware of a connection that I will now make clear for your: the effects of stunting on brain (required for learning) and the relationship between malnutrition and poor performance in school.   Etc. Etc.  Etc.  Oh, ... 1 in 4 Kenyan children stunted and 1 in 5 Kenyans undernourished is not my idea of "doing well".   

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #144 on: October 17, 2016, 07:43:54 AM »
Are you looking for brownie points from other Nipateans or making your point. Of course I know effect of malnutrition on brain development. I also know that education is basic human right..just like food is.I am not sure where you're going with this...but several data points..clearly indicate that kenya heavy investment in education has and continues to pay off..not only in qualify of education but also in the quality of labour. Given you have all the time to pour through GCI - look at the other indicator that build on quality of education - stuff like training, labour productivity, etc.

And now kenya has gone ahead to supply 1.2M tablet to every class one kid..unprecedented! I look forward to kenya joining the top 20 countries in quality of education in 20yrs from now with some of the smartest workers driving a sophisticated economy...not bunch of slavish workers producing cheap stuff.

It pain you that Jubilee are doing this. That is your problem. If Raila was doing this..I'd still support him on this. Moi for all his misdeeds invested heavily in education.

You lost me in this long tirade against WEF. Southern and Eastern Africa is very good indicator of where Kenya would rank in Africa. I am not sure what other heavy hitters you'll find outside of South Africa, Mauritus, Botswana,Namibia, Syechelles and Zim. Maybe Cape Verde is missing? Fact remain kenya beat the likes of South Africa and is only behind Mauritus (a high middle class country). Kenya has not participated in PISA..so we won't know how it will rank...so for know we will stick to comparative data that exist. That is WEF's Global Competitive Index and maybe SACMEQ. Education is basic thing..

Yes, I'm not surprised that you feel lost. And the "tirade", as you call it, is actually about your bizarre interpretations and is an attempt to enlighten you.   As I indicated, I'm sure the points I have made are too subtle for you.    That is why I encouraged you take to your time and work on it.   For example on your "very good indicator of where Kenya would rank in Africa" review what I have written above on "best in Africa"; I have even put in colours (especially red) to help you spot some particular aspects.   Hopefully you will now have less trouble with that.   The WEF one is obviously quite a challenge for you.   Hang in there, and work on it: interpretation (yours).     

I think I'm done with this one.   I'm sure that all other Nipateans have got the points; so ask for assistance elsewhere if you still have difficulties.    Best of luck!

Education is basic thing...so don't open another front (hunger). In any case Kenya is doing well if you consider the problems it has with 2/3 of the country that is semi-arid and arid...

Some would say that food is more basic than education.   You also seem to be unaware of a connection that I will now make clear for your: the effects of stunting on brain (required for learning) and the relationship between malnutrition and poor performance in school.   Etc. Etc.  Etc.  Oh, ... 1 in 4 Kenyan children stunted and 1 in 5 Kenyans undernourished is not my idea of "doing well".   

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2016, 09:12:23 AM »
Now a reality. Turn out to be well planned and thought our process. With teacher controlling the tablets from her laptop & projector. This is just great stuff and UhuRuto legacy will be cemmented for years to come.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2016, 04:22:07 PM »
Now a reality. Turn out to be well planned and thought our process. With teacher controlling the tablets from her laptop & projector. This is just great stuff and UhuRuto legacy will be cemmented for years to come.

This is largely how I understand them to be useful and have been saying the same, to poor reception, the last few pages.  As facilitators of general learning. 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2016, 05:10:55 PM »
This is largely how I understand them to be useful and have been saying the same, to poor reception, the last few pages.  As facilitators of general learning. 

Certainly, with good and controlled use, such devices can facilitate learning.   That, however, is quite different from the hype that has been (and is still being) peddled here and out there (by senior people in GoK).   

Still, one point I have been trying to make is that learning cannot be facilitated when teachers are AWOL, pupils (as a consequence of stunting) have sub-standard brains or are too hungry to focus on learning, etc.   The other point I have been trying to make is that there are useful lessons to be learned from similar activities elsewhere, and such learning requires putting aside the notion that learning, a generic human activity, is somehow fundamentally different when it occurs in Kenyan kids.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2016, 05:29:45 PM »
Look like Windy came around quicker than during long Mpesa and china tirade.The default instinct is to distrust and denigrate anything done in Kenya with usual there are better ideas and more urgent priorities.First you need to recognize what quantum leap this...before trying to rip it apart.Kenya investment in education is commendable and this digital school thing is trailblazing.

• Enigma
« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2016, 05:31:03 PM »

Certainly, with good and controlled use, such devices can facilitate learning.   That, however, is quite different from the hype that has been (and is still being) peddled here and out there (by senior people in GoK).   

Still, one point I have been trying to make is that learning cannot be facilitated when teachers are AWOL, pupils (as a consequence of stunting) have sub-standard brains or are too hungry to focus on learning, etc.   The other point I have been trying to make is that there are useful lessons to be learned from similar activities elsewhere, and such learning requires putting aside the notion that learning, a generic human activity, is somehow fundamentally different when it occurs in Kenyan kids.

Agreed.  I was of the opinion that maybe a study should be carried out to capture the relevant metrics, but as you point out, the studies have already been done elsewhere. 

Looking at the clip, one can see the potential - but it's also possible to get carried away by the imagery(flash) and miss the whole point of the exercise - which is facilitation of learning.  The lessons of the previous studies are relevant.

At the end of the day, you need good teachers and learning environments to accomplish that.  In the age of information, I am thinking that a good teacher becomes even more critical, not less so.  You cannot just dump the devices at kids and assume they have the skills to discriminate between useless and useful information.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2016, 05:33:08 PM »
Look like Windy came around quicker than during long Mpesa and china tirade.The default instinct is to distrust and denigrate anything done in Kenya with usual there are better ideas and more urgent priorities.First you need to recognize what quantum leap this...before trying to rip it apart.Kenya investment in education is commendable and this digital school thing is trailblazing.

The default instinct is to distrust and ignore statements like these that make no sense.

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2016, 05:41:41 PM »
Arguing whether tablet or laptops or labs don't make sense just like pretending to be a virologist or pedagogy expert.Leave to the experts.All you should care about is the high level stuf..the vision and innovation to trail blaze.That only way Kenya can move forward faster...not trying out same old same that see minor gains for huge investment.We need to do more exciting innovative stuff even most fail

• Enigma
« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2016, 05:47:04 PM »
Arguing whether tablet or laptops or labs don't make sense just like pretending to be a virologist or pedagogy expert.Leave to the experts.All you should care about is the high level stuf..the vision and innovation to trail blaze.That only way Kenya can move forward faster...not trying out same old same that see minor gains

You don't have to be an expert to have opinions on a topic.  If you don't want to hear them, then post the thread on your private hard-drive or something.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2016, 05:55:58 PM »
Arguing whether tablet or laptops or labs don't make sense just like pretending to be a virologist or pedagogy expert.Leave to the experts.All you should care about is the high level stuf..the vision and innovation to trail blaze.That only way Kenya can move forward faster...not trying out same old same that see minor gains for huge investment.We need to do more exciting innovative stuff even most fail

What you're absolutely failing to gitch boils down to this: why buy a Ferrari when what you really first need is a tractor to pave the roads nice and smooth i.e. use the right tools to prepare the infrastructure thereafter enabling you to go zooming off in your Ferrari without getting bogged down in the mud.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2016, 05:58:17 PM »
At the end of the day, you need good teachers and learning environments to accomplish that.  In the age of information, I am thinking that a good teacher becomes even more critical, not less so.  You cannot just dump the devices at kids and assume they have the skills to discriminate between useless and useful information.

Indeed.  The OECD report that I mentioned earlier had one interesting but, perhaps, hardly surprising point, in relation to the notion of the internet providing a "world library at one's fingertips": kids need to be taught how to make good use of whatever information they find out there, and the fundamentals that they have to learn---the basics of relevant "research", being able to differentiate between dross and gold, etc.---have nothing to do with "digital".  Obviously such skills are even more critical today: whereas the producers of print publications are interested in making money and so will generally attempt to make sensible choices in what they put out, just about anybody can put out on the Web whatever junk they happen to be dreaming of at a given time.   

Uruguay, which has put into place a very extensive laptops+internet programme also had similar unsurprising results: First, when kids have access to the internet, their foremost priorities will not be "learning" and "information".   Naturally.   Second, those whose primary interest was "information" needed an education on what to do with whatever they found out there.

A huge problem with those peddling nonsense about the Kenyan programme is that they are unable to distinguish between information and knowledge, between access to information and learning.   

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2016, 06:00:49 PM »
Ferarri and tractor are cars...if you made me flying piki piki that don't need a road I will be excited.I am looking at future where we don't need schools..where one teacher can digitally teach 1000 kids..mark their assignments and the works..coz we have the tools now.This to me BIG start but innovation should be encouraged not stiffled with tunnel vision bottlenecks.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2016, 06:09:06 PM »
Ferarri and tractor are cars...if you made me flying piki piki that don't need a road I will be excited.I am looking at future where we don't need schools..where one teacher can digitally teach 1000 kids..mark their assignments and the works..coz we have the tools now.This to me BIG start but innovation should be encouraged not stiffled with tunnel vision bottlenecks.

In the developed world that Kenya is supposedly trying to reach---i.e. the inventors of all these things---what people want is to go in the other direction: higher student:teacher ratios and better teachers.    The very-well-off, the high-flying technology professionals, etc. are willing to pay very big bucks to send their kids to schools with excellent teachers and high student:teacher ratios.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »
That all good coz if you can afford you can own your teachers...but if you're facing serious understaffing problem..you want to get the most of the few teachers.
.so if kids in turkana can get some lessons digitally from call mcenter like teaching station in Nairobi..why not..esp kids in high school.Your can make it interactive and all details.Quit reading OECD.There is nothing to be read as far as the future goes.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2016, 06:19:12 PM »
That all good coz if you can afford you can own your teachers...but if you're facing serious understaffing problem..you want to get the best of the few teachers.

First, you missed the point I made in response to your comment.    That is the norm with you.   Hint: You should be looking to a different kind of future.

Second, serious teacher absenteeism is not what normal people would consider an under-staffing problem.    Given that it's you, perhaps I should state the obvious: hiring more teachers will have little effect if they can't be bothered to show up for work and they are not held accountable.

so if kids in turkana can get some lessons digitally from call mcenter like teaching station in Nairobi..why not..esp kids in high school.

and someone wrote:

A huge problem with those peddling nonsense about the Kenyan programme is that they are unable to distinguish between information and knowledge, between access to information and learning.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #159 on: October 24, 2016, 06:40:13 PM »
Teacher absentism is child play compared to understaffing. now after rolling out electricity and internet..tsc just need to buy 25000 internet enabled biometric check ins....tunnel vision ndio mbaya . The point is simple...you don't need all facts or implementation details - to realize an idea is innovative and visionary like this digischool project.Definitely when Jubilee started this - they didn't need to know the details - they just needed to know we are in cusp of digital revolution - and arming std 1 kids this early with digital tool was a smart investment.