Author Topic: Pepe Kale  (Read 3013 times)

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
Pepe Kale
« on: July 12, 2020, 04:02:38 AM »

Bitmask

What was going on in Ivory Abidjan. it seems to have been the place to host these type of concerts. It is interesting to see people seated in a thearter nor dancing just listening to the music. Odd but i think this kind of music is best with a listening audience

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
Re: Pepe Kale
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 06:43:30 AM »
Bitmask

Is this a Sammy Sosa Bleaching by Madilu? this must be his best song

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 07:47:14 AM »
Bitmask

Madilu is the greatest rhumba singer ever.
Sleep is good, death is better; but of course, The best would be never to have been born at all.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 05:11:55 PM »

Bitmask

What was going on in Ivory Abidjan. it seems to have been the place to host these type of concerts. It is interesting to see people seated in a thearter nor dancing just listening to the music. Odd but i think this kind of music is best with a listening audience

They thought they are members of French high society :D.  They used to be a sort of African cultural Mecca with lots of URTNA shows there.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 05:14:00 PM »
Bitmask

Congolese men bleach like their lives depend on it.  Weird stuff.  Madilu was a musical genius from a time when there was no shortage of talent from Congo.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 05:17:07 PM »
Bitmask

Madilu is the greatest rhumba singer ever.

I know you know it's Luambo Makiadi.  Every genre has that one untouchable.  Others will come up and be giants in their own right.  But you don't move that one untouchable.

Harriet Tubman

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 05:30:17 PM »

Bitmask

They thought they are members of French high society :D.  They used to be a sort of African cultural Mecca with lots of URTNA shows there.
Crazy so do francophone  elites believe they are French. No wonder  they all troop no to France ghettos  to be proper French. This is really tragic. So what was the president that built cathedrals?

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 06:11:54 PM »

Bitmask

They thought they are members of French high society :D .  They used to be a sort of African cultural Mecca with lots of URTNA shows there.
Crazy so do francophone  elites believe they are French. No wonder  they all troop no to France ghettos  to be proper French. This is really tragic. So what was the president that built cathedrals?

I think Cote d'Ivoire was a special case - they looked down on the neighboring African countries, especially Burkina Faso.  The cathedral guy was Houphouet Boigny.

Harriet Tubman

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 07:44:24 PM »
Ivory coast is just one black hole that I know very little about. All I know about it is during Gabgo conflict. What Houphouet killed or he died? CAR is a very poor country. I saw a travel vlog about it and it is a fascinating place that seems to have been left in the Africa of 80s

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 01:29:24 AM »
I know you know it's Luambo Makiadi.  Every genre has that one untouchable.  Others will come up and be giants in their own right.  But you don't move that one untouchable.

Madilu had the better voice and melodies in my opinion. No question Makiadi was a giant though. 
Sleep is good, death is better; but of course, The best would be never to have been born at all.

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 04:29:41 AM »

Madilu had the better voice and melodies in my opinion. No question Makiadi was a giant though. 

I agree.  Madilu was lead singer in quite a few of Franco's major hits.  Franco was mostly just the leader who put it together.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 04:37:50 AM »
Ivory coast is just one black hole that I know very little about. All I know about it is during Gabgo conflict. What Houphouet killed or he died? CAR is a very poor country. I saw a travel vlog about it and it is a fascinating place that seems to have been left in the Africa of 80s

It used to be one of the "African hopes" post independence until the war after Boigny's exit.  Lots of French expatriates had made it home.  Other than French they are indistinguishable from Ghanaians.  From the ones I know personally, I believe there is a major issue with tribalism.  The Northerners basically looked down upon and lumped together with Burkinabes.  Alassane Ouattara's ascendancy to power was seen as an abomination by these folks.

Harriet Tubman

Offline sitting bull

• Superstar
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 05:03:40 PM »

I agree.  Madilu was lead singer in quite a few of Franco's major hits.  Franco was mostly just the leader who put it together.

Unfortunately Bialu Madilu had only 2 compositions while in Ok jazz. when it gets down to serious vocalists in Ok jazz imo, madilu was nowhere near top 5

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 05:10:31 PM »

Unfortunately Bialu Madilu had only 2 compositions while in Ok jazz. when it gets down to serious vocalists in Ok jazz imo, madilu was nowhere near top 5

Interesting.  I didn't know the actual numbers, but then they were Franco's most recognizable hits.  Mario to pick one, is not the same without Madilu.  Who do you think was better than Madilu?

Harriet Tubman

Offline sitting bull

• Superstar
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 05:59:46 PM »

Interesting.  I didn't know the actual numbers, but then they were Franco's most recognizable hits.  Mario to pick one, is not the same without Madilu.  Who do you think was better than Madilu?

Please dont get me wrong, Madilu was big in ok jazz 85-88 years. That small era belonged to him because its within that time that Josky kiambukuta and Ntessa Dalienst, the deadliest vocalists in ok jazz, temporarily quit the band. If i was to rank them in order i would break it down in "eras"
The 60s ....  Mulamba Mujos, Vicky Longomba, Kwamy Munsi and Luambo himself in that order
The 70s .... Josky, Ntesa, Djo mpoy, Michel Boyibanda, Wuta mayi, Lola checain, Lukoki Diatho and Ndombe opetum
The 80s..... Josky, Ntesa, Djo mpoy, Malage de Lugendo, Wuta, Aime kiwakana,Lokombe Ntal............... madilu

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 08:31:13 PM »
Please dont get me wrong, Madilu was big in ok jazz 85-88 years. That small era belonged to him because its within that time that Josky kiambukuta and Ntessa Dalienst, the deadliest vocalists in ok jazz, temporarily quit the band. If i was to rank them in order i would break it down in "eras"
The 60s ....  Mulamba Mujos, Vicky Longomba, Kwamy Munsi and Luambo himself in that order
The 70s .... Josky, Ntesa, Djo mpoy, Michel Boyibanda, Wuta mayi, Lola checain, Lukoki Diatho and Ndombe opetum
The 80s..... Josky, Ntesa, Djo mpoy, Malage de Lugendo, Wuta, Aime kiwakana,Lokombe Ntal............... madilu

I will defer, since it looks like you are armed with weapons-grade knowledge about this crew.  I wouldn't mind hearing some recommended selections from these names.

Harriet Tubman