Author Topic: Wetangula ousted as Ford-K chairman and join Ruto in partyless corner.  (Read 3509 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Look like Wangamati and Eseli has executed a coup. It's expected Wetangula will face off with Wangamati and ken Lusaka.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Wetangula just finished addressing a press conference...look like coup will be defeated. Wetangula has most of leaderships and mps.

Offline Njuri Ncheke

• Enigma
Western is the most fragmented area in kenya mara mad man atwoli hosting leaders, mara mudavadi sijui meeting who, wetangular etc. Whoever lumped luhyas together did an injustice luhya are like water and oil don't mix very diverse and unique people.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
Atwoli understands that while there is nothing like Luhya, the unity is a critical political asset for the elites and the masses. Just like there is nothing like GEMA (even single kikuyu!!) or KALENJIN in the DNA. This Gema and Kalenjin elites understand this unity is a double edged sword so it has to remain a mirage. Or it may end up to be inconsequential just like Kamba and Mijikenda.

Western is the most fragmented area in kenya mara mad man atwoli hosting leaders, mara mudavadi sijui meeting who, wetangular etc. Whoever lumped luhyas together did an injustice luhya are like water and oil don't mix very diverse and unique people.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Atwoli understands that while there is nothing like Luhya, the unity is a critical political asset for the elites and the masses. Just like there is nothing like GEMA (even single kikuyu!!) or KALENJIN in the DNA. This Gema and Kalenjin elites understand this unity is a double edged sword so it has to remain a mirage. Or it may end up to be inconsequential just like Kamba and Mijikenda.

Luhya is a thing.  They are a closely related group of people culturally and genetically.  Politically they are yet to find a unifying force.  So while there was nothing known as Luhya until the 30s, lumping them together is far from arbitrary.

Linguistically, there are definitely languages that can be grouped together as Luhya.  Intelligibility can be high to very low.  Linguists think there are two main branches, some would say three.  Luhya-proper(Busia, Kakamega folks), Maragoli(and related tribes in Vihiga like Tiriki), and Bukusu(Tachoni).  Bukusu are also close to Bagisu in Uganda(linguistically and culturally).

From what I have gathered, Bukusu and Luhya-proper tend to have high levels of intelligibility(Pragmatic correct me if I am wrong), while Bukusu and Maragoli can barely understand each other.  But Bukusu and Maragoli are still demonstrably Luhya languages.  Did they see themselves as a single group, say 70 years ago?  Probably not.  But now they do.  That is for the most part what matters. 

What they lack is a politically unifying figure.  MDVD has had the best chance in the past few decades to pull them together.  But I think he faces resistance from the Bukusu leaning spectrum of the Luhya.  Weta has had the populous Bukusu to back him, but he lacks the gravitas to hold even this group by itself together.  People like Oparanya and Atwoli could easily have been unifying figures if they came from the bigger groups like Bukusu or Maragoli.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
But is it simply the lack of political unity or even cultural and linguistic unity? It would appear me the Luhya concept is just a copycat of the Kalenjin unity. But Kalenjin are linguistic and culturally very united.

For Kalenjin, it was simply finding another name for "Nandi speaking people" - and that simply became Kalenjin.

For Luhya it difficult project - the Wangas have nothing with Bukusu - nor is Banyala anything related to Tirikis - at least culturally

It won't be easy project to unite all Luhyas. Culturally a Tiriki is probably closer to Kalenjin - while Banyala or Marachi is a Luo - and Bukusu is half luhya-half kalenjin.

In Kalenjin - Pokots are like 50-50  mixed with Turkanas- and their inclusion is more political than cultural - and they will take a long time before they really become Kalenjin.

Luhya is a thing.  They are a closely related group of people culturally and genetically.  Politically they are yet to find a unifying force.  So while there was nothing known as Luhya until the 30s, lumping them together is far from arbitrary.

Linguistically, there are definitely languages that can be grouped together as Luhya.  Intelligibility can be high to very low.  Linguists think there are two main branches, some would say three.  Luhya-proper(Busia, Kakamega folks), Maragoli(and related tribes in Vihiga like Tiriki), and Bukusu(Tachoni).  Bukusu are also close to Bagisu in Uganda(linguistically and culturally).

From what I have gathered, Bukusu and Luhya-proper tend to have high levels of intelligibility(Pragmatic correct me if I am wrong), while Bukusu and Maragoli can barely understand each other.  But Bukusu and Maragoli are still demonstrably Luhya languages.  Did they see themselves as a single group, say 70 years ago?  Probably not.  But now they do.  That is for the most part what matters. 

What they lack is a politically unifying figure.  MDVD has had the best chance in the past few decades to pull them together.  But I think he faces resistance from the Bukusu leaning spectrum of the Luhya.  Weta has had the populous Bukusu to back him, but he lacks the gravitas to hold even this group by itself together.  People like Oparanya and Atwoli could easily have been unifying figures if they came from the bigger groups like Bukusu or Maragoli.

• Enigma
But is it simply the lack of political unity or even cultural and linguistic unity? It would appear me the Luhya concept is just a copycat of the Kalenjin unity. But Kalenjin are linguistic and culturally very united.

For Kalenjin, it was simply finding another name for "Nandi speaking people" - and that simply became Kalenjin.

For Luhya it difficult project - the Wangas have nothing with Bukusu - nor is Banyala anything related to Tirikis - at least culturally

It won't be easy project to unite all Luhyas. Culturally a Tiriki is probably closer to Kalenjin - while Banyala or Marachi is a Luo - and Bukusu is half luhya-half kalenjin.

In Kalenjin - Pokots are like 50-50  mixed with Turkanas- and their inclusion is more political than cultural - and they will take a long time before they really become Kalenjin.

Indeed they have different cultures(to some extend).  For instance some Luhya's don't circumcise(traditionally) and other do.  But outside of such specific areas, they have similar cultures(marriage customs, funerals etc).  Another way of looking at it, a Tiriki in a rural part of Bungoma would not face any treatment  different than a Bukusu and vice-versa, even if they knew of his different background.  There is that sense of being the same people.

It's similar to Kalenjin, but I think Kalenjin got a boost from Moi being President.  The benefits of belonging to the same group as this otherwise marginalized Tugen group became obvious to the bigger groups like Kipsigis.  And I think they have fewer dialects than Luhyas though it's arguable(most Kakamega dialects are no different from each other than a South Carolina accent is from a Boston accent). 

It may take another generation or two for the Luhya project to mature, unless they get a boost from a fortuitous event like a MDVD presidency.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
According to this Lwangale study, seems there is a linguistic unity with regard to the naming system and speech among the Luhya subgroups/subnations. Seems the divisions are a creature of colonial boundaries and divide and rule policies. Among the Kikuyus and Kalenjins sub groups, there are distinct naming system and linguistic variances yet they have achieved unity through some forceful leadership using baiting. For Kikuyus it is mainly loss of land and mau mau; kalenjin project was to protect Moi tenure at state house.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308622733_GENEALOGICAL_PERSPECTIVE_OF_THE_LULUHYIA_DIALECTS'_LEXICOSYNTACTIC_SIMILARITIES
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/299585238_A_GENEALOGICAL_LINGUISTIC_IMPLICATION_OF_THE_ABALUHYIA_NAMING_SYSTEM

Bethuel Oduo seems to also imply the divisions among the Luhyas have shallow political and economic in colonial and Kenyatta era. This is unlike the Kikuyu who say despite Murang'a being anti Kenyatta's over the years they do not doubt the kikuyuness. Both sides whether Mau Mau or homeguards also have no doubt about Kikuyu belonging.   

https://www.theelephant.info/features/2019/03/14/not-my-brothers-keeper-forces-that-have-kept-the-luyia-people-apart/

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
It will be interesting to see how Madvd fares with the current realignments and what it will portend for Luhya unity. Can he at this time go tongs and hammer against his rabid big brother Uhuru and Atwoli to be taken seriously from home outwards?

Muliro came from the Bakokho clan, and his political defining moment came in 1975, when he voted against a government report into the murder of JM Kariuki. He was the only cabinet minister to do so. Peter Kibisu, an Assistant Minister for Labour and MP for Vihiga, also voted against the report. An angry President Jomo Kenyatta sacked both Muliro and Kibisu, tossing them into the political wilderness. Once again the Bukusu and Maragoli had proved their political mettle within the Luyia nation. After Muliro’s sacking, Moses Substone Budamba Mudavadi stepped into his large shoes. By virtue of his close association with President Moi, Mudavadi – a Maragoli – wielded immense power that was felt across Luyialand and beyond. Wycliffe Musalia Mudavadi has followed as a titular Luyia leader, but his “gentle” mien attracted detractors who until today feel he lacks “fire in his belly”. Musalia, though, proved them all wrong in 2007, when under the ODM party he delivered 18 seats as the party’s torch bearer. So far he has cut his own apron strings by launching the Amani National Congress (ANC).

Read more at: https://www.theelephant.info/features/2019/03/14/not-my-brothers-keeper-forces-that-have-kept-the-luyia-people-apart/

Offline Njuri Ncheke

• Enigma
A luhya in law told me a bukusu and maragoli is like luo and kalenjin cant understand nothing. Luhyas should be divided properly into 3 different tribes. Merus have subtribes tigania, chuka, imenti, tharaka etc but they are mutually intelligible the differences are very minor. GEMA languages including kamba are more intelligible than Luhya.
But luhya have unity have noticed when faced with a kikuyu they will all unite against him. Luhyas are united outside of their home areas have seen in towns they will stick together with so much love i dont know what changes when they go back home.

• Enigma
According to this Lwangale study, seems there is a linguistic unity with regard to the naming system and speech among the Luhya subgroups/subnations. Seems the divisions are a creature of colonial boundaries and divide and rule policies. Among the Kikuyus and Kalenjins sub groups, there are distinct naming system and linguistic variances yet they have achieved unity through some forceful leadership using baiting. For Kikuyus it is mainly loss of land and mau mau; kalenjin project was to protect Moi tenure at state house.

In fact it can be argued that ethnic consciousness in precolonial Kenya rarely extended beyond a few villages.  There were no kingdoms.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308622733_GENEALOGICAL_PERSPECTIVE_OF_THE_LULUHYIA_DIALECTS'_LEXICOSYNTACTIC_SIMILARITIES
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/299585238_A_GENEALOGICAL_LINGUISTIC_IMPLICATION_OF_THE_ABALUHYIA_NAMING_SYSTEM

Quite the opposite.  Luhya consciousness arises only after colonialism.  This is not unique among Luhyas or Kalenjin or Mijikenda.  Igbos in Nigeria are also an ethnicity that only becomes aware of themselves as a group after or during colonialism.  Before that, they only view themselves as belonging to their individual sub-tribes.  In fact to now, if you look at the last population census, there are still a substantial number of Luhyas who see themselves NOT as Luhya but as Maragoli, Samia etc.

Bethuel Oduo seems to also imply the divisions among the Luhyas have shallow political and economic in colonial and Kenyatta era. This is unlike the Kikuyu who say despite Murang'a being anti Kenyatta's over the years they do not doubt the kikuyuness. Both sides whether Mau Mau or homeguards also have no doubt about Kikuyu belonging.   

https://www.theelephant.info/features/2019/03/14/not-my-brothers-keeper-forces-that-have-kept-the-luyia-people-apart/

Oduo is wrong. Luhya divisions pre-date Kenya, let alone Kenyatta.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
A luhya in law told me a bukusu and maragoli is like luo and kalenjin cant understand nothing. Luhyas should be divided properly into 3 different tribes. Merus have subtribes tigania, chuka, imenti, tharaka etc but they are mutually intelligible the differences are very minor. GEMA languages including kamba are more intelligible than Luhya.
But luhya have unity have noticed when faced with a kikuyu they will all unite against him. Luhyas are united outside of their home areas have seen in towns they will stick together with so much love i dont know what changes when they go back home.

Language is just one aspect of ethnicity, and not even necessary.  Tutsi and Hutu are 100% intelligible, but are generally considered different ethnic groups.  A more important consideration is how do most of these people see themselves.  In many cases, they are divided until they encounter more radically different groups.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
That's lots of digressive history lecture. Atwoli is being used by Raila-Uhuru to wedge Luhya so they don't back Ruto. With astounding success.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 09:48:35 AM by Robina »
♫♫ They say all good boys go to heaven... but bad boys bring heaven to you ~ song by Julia Michaels

Offline Pragmatic

• Mega superstar
Bitmask et al, you are right on all your assessments. Indeed you could say quite frankly that Bantu people are very able to discern each other across different tribes, all you need is to spend a little time understanding the etymology and linguistic style/consonants and you will be good to go. By this i mean, certain words in Bukusu (similarly other luhya sub-tribes) could be spoken in a stressed manner to effect the meaning and it could mean a slightly different word in a different sub-tribe (e.g. Omuloosi ... affectionately means a lady/my wife in ki-Bukusu, but in ki-Marachi she may interpret it as a witch; so this one time a long time ago my uncle was on phone with someone speaking of his omuloosi (mama wa nyumba) and she interpreted it to mean (got it) that she had been called a witch (Omulosi)! Wazees had to be called in to calm this kerfuffle!

On the whole, the Luhya sub-tribes do have many similarities that naturally coalesced to the grouping Luhya. So I will not pin-point any qualifying marks to being a Luhya.

Linguistically, there are definitely languages that can be grouped together as Luhya. Intelligibility can be high to very low.  Linguists think there are two main branches, some would say three.  Luhya-proper(Busia, Kakamega folks), Maragoli (and related tribes in Vihiga like Tiriki), and Bukusu(Tachoni).  Bukusu are also close to Bagisu in Uganda (linguistically and culturally).

From what I have gathered, Bukusu and Luhya-proper tend to have high levels of intelligibility (Pragmatic correct me if I am wrong), while Bukusu and Maragoli can barely understand each other.  But Bukusu and Maragoli are still demonstrably Luhya languages.  Did they see themselves as a single group, say 70 years ago?  Probably not.  But now they do.  That is for the most part what matters.

The Luhyas have had politically unifying figure in Masinde Muliro and in recent times, Wamalwa Kijana. No small matter that both these were Bukusu... and it goes without saying that the Bukusu being the largest ethnic group in the Luhya community feel that they must be the ones to provide the leader. There is a running joke with the Bukusu that they used to raid the Maragoli and steal their girls (so a lot of Maragoli girls bore many Bukusu blood :D). A small whisper though, there is really no pure "blue blood" Bukusu (who is Bukusu??), even Masinde Muliro and later Kijana Wamalwa are said to have had some other blood, Banyala or such....

It doesn't mean that a Maragoli (Mudavadi) or Wanga (Oparanya) cannot ascent to Luhya leader.

Those two gentlemen didn't wait to be gifted the Luhya leader status.... they went for it and won the respect of their fellow leaders and Luhya hoi polloi. They were towering high among equals. In both of them, there were many equally able figures in Luhya land at that time, but they thought these to be the leaders among them. Currently, there is hardly such towering figures and even the Oparanyas have not reached such level.

Now to Mudavadi.... Mudavadi waits to be crowned/coronated and sits there bumbling around and always saying that Raila is disuniting the Luhyas (forgetting it is Raila who foisted him to the highest Luhya pedestal he ever reached!). And he and Wetangula even in their combined tag team cannot excite the Luhya masses enough. Yet these two, if they had the oomph constitute 75% of the Luhya vote! Mudavadi simply lacks discipline and gravitas to lead a force to achieve taking power. He is a coward! He is too lazy and a privileged politician who has never had to sweat to arrive at where he is.

They will be scattered to the winds and soon you will see either Wetangula or Mudavadi abandon the other and line up on the Loyalty Pledge chorus!

What they lack is a politically unifying figure. MDVD has had the best chance in the past few decades to pull them together.  But I think he faces resistance from the Bukusu leaning spectrum of the Luhya. Weta has had the populous Bukusu to back him, but he lacks the gravitas to hold even this group by itself together. People like Oparanya and Atwoli could easily have been unifying figures if they came from the bigger groups like Bukusu or Maragoli.

And finally as a parting shot.... forget Njuri Ncheke's low opinion of the Bukusu... the Bukusu are the Kings of the Luhyas and FYI Njuri; they are warriors, but we don't go around announcing our "tigritude"! Read your history a little deeper.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Pragmatic - Oparanya I doubt is a Wanga. I think he is either Munyore or even a Marama. He comes from Butere.

I think Wangas are restricted to 3 constituencies of Mumias East, Mumias West and Matungu.

As you go down Ekero - I think from Sabatia (not be confused with Maragoli Sabatia) - it starts becoming Bunyore/Marama - So Oparanya and Atwoli - all the way to Luanda - are most likely Bunyore. Or even a Marama.

The Marachi starts at far end of Butere/Matungu - to Nambale - all the way to Matayos.

Then Abasamia around Busia extending to Uganda.

The Banyala live in the flood plains of Bundalangi all the way to Sio port.

The Khisa - I think are sandwiched with Bunyore in lower Vihiga - around Majengo - after Chavakali- towards Maseno.

The Itotsi. Idhaho and Itushka - Khawale people are btw Vihiga to Kakamega - Kakamega to around Shianda - and Kakamega towards Malava.

The malava are another sub-tribe - Kabras.They go all the way to Kaburengo - and share the border with Sambu people - Tachonis. The Tachonis live around Webuye...bordering Bukusu.

Then Vihiga upper is split with Tirikis and Maragoli -  Tirikis were nearly assimilated into Nandis like Tachonis.

The rest of Bungoma is really Bukusu -  Bukusu has a lot of Kalenjin influence - I think mostly from Bungomek (name Bungoma come from there) - hunter-gatherers- and later from Sabaots. There are just a lot of kalenjin names in Bukusu land.

I'd say Banyala, Samia, Marama, Marachi, Bunyore - have a lot of Luo Influences - and are going to listen to Raila.

The rest will align either to Bukusu or Maragoli. Wanga is the most different - because they are Muslim and have their Nabongo Mumia thing going for them.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
Wetangula party is gone. Registrar has stamped the documents. Kenyan elites are real mafias. the only thing they lack is the thirst for blood to kill each other. Someone needs to introduce this element in kenyan politics it would make it more interesting

Offline Pragmatic

• Mega superstar
Yes, I think Oparanya is a Marama.

You seem to have a very good hang of the Luhya conifiguration.... I have little to add on what you have said, except to say, the Banyala are spread wide (also called aBanyala ba Ndombi, remember Wasike Ndombi?) found in a place called Navakholo in Kakamega. They speak very similar/same dialect with the Busia Banyala except for very minor exceptions maybe due to the migratory influence just like the Bukusu and the Bagisu.

Also remember Bukusu are migrators, they came in from the western side pushing in from all the way from Cameroon/Congo/Uganda and may have assimilated or edged out some Kalenjin, Sebei or Saboats tribes; that is why there are similarities in names....we have Maina, Cherono etc... they may also have adapted and adopted some cultures of the locals they found as well.

Pragmatic - Oparanya I doubt is a Wanga. I think he is either Munyore or even a Marama. He comes from Butere.

I think Wangas are restricted to 3 constituencies of Mumias East, Mumias West and Matungu.

As you go down Ekero - I think from Sabatia (not be confused with Maragoli Sabatia) - it starts becoming Bunyore/Marama - So Oparanya and Atwoli - all the way to Luanda - are most likely Bunyore. Or even a Marama.

The Marachi starts at far end of Butere/Matungu - to Nambale - all the way to Matayos.

Then Abasamia around Busia extending to Uganda.

The Banyala live in the flood plains of Bundalangi all the way to Sio port.

The Khisa - I think are sandwiched with Bunyore in lower Vihiga - around Majengo - after Chavakali- towards Maseno.

The Itotsi. Idhaho and Itushka - Khawale people are btw Vihiga to Kakamega - Kakamega to around Shianda - and Kakamega towards Malava.

The malava are another sub-tribe - Kabras.They go all the way to Kaburengo - and share the border with Sambu people - Tachonis. The Tachonis live around Webuye...bordering Bukusu.

Then Vihiga upper is split with Tirikis and Maragoli -  Tirikis were nearly assimilated into Nandis like Tachonis.

The rest of Bungoma is really Bukusu -  Bukusu has a lot of Kalenjin influence - I think mostly from Bungomek (name Bungoma come from there) - hunter-gatherers- and later from Sabaots. There are just a lot of kalenjin names in Bukusu land.

I'd say Banyala, Samia, Marama, Marachi, Bunyore - have a lot of Luo Influences - and are going to listen to Raila.

The rest will align either to Bukusu or Maragoli. Wanga is the most different - because they are Muslim and have their Nabongo Mumia thing going for them.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Wetangula party is gone. Registrar has stamped the documents. Kenyan elites are real mafias. the only thing they lack is the thirst for blood to kill each other. Someone needs to introduce this element in kenyan politics it would make it more interesting

Weta was always useless like Kombo. He will be drabbed by Wangamati for governor. Raila has managed to scuttle Mdvd - and by extension Ruto. His aim is to keep them divided and a poor option. Mdvd can only sell by going for PORK with Raila or Ruto backing. Otherwise it will be 3% worse than 2013 with Khalwale's, Khaniri's, Otichillo's not in his corner.
♫♫ They say all good boys go to heaven... but bad boys bring heaven to you ~ song by Julia Michaels

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
From what I have heard - Wangamati is gone. He is very unpopular because he has not been able to replicate Ken Lusaka's work. The battle is really between Ken Lusaka and Wetangula. Wetangula uses thugs to suppress political competition in Bungoma. Wangamati is new to politics and was Wetangula proxy.

As for maDVD - he is 4% center - just like Kalonzo is 8%.

Weta was always useless like Kombo. He will be drabbed by Wangamati for governor. Raila has managed to scuttle Mdvd - and by
extension Ruto. His aim is to keep them divided and a poor option. Mdvd can only sell by going for PORK with Raila or Ruto backing. Otherwise it will be 3% worse than 2013 with Khalwale's, Khaniri's, Otichillo's not in his corner.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
You are too sure about Lusaka plans. Doing Handshake/ODM mischief on ground and Senate - all for governor? How will hapless Rectangular now partyless compete - will he be Ruto party or ANC?

From what I have heard - Wangamati is gone. He is very unpopular because he has not been able to replicate Ken Lusaka's work. The battle is really between Ken Lusaka and Wetangula. Wetangula uses thugs to suppress political competition in Bungoma. Wangamati is new to politics and was Wetangula proxy.

As for maDVD - he is 4% center - just like Kalonzo is 8%.