Author Topic: Cancer  (Read 9829 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Cancer
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2020, 10:42:10 AM »
My father lights out just happened. Pretty horrible days.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2020, 11:46:19 AM »

He has rested. There is no good outcome with cancer at that stage.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2020, 03:36:58 PM »

Pole.  Stay strong.  I know he meant the world to you.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2020, 04:32:34 PM »
Pole sana bro. Its not easy losing a parent at any age or time but you will pull through with the benefit of time.

"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2020, 06:45:28 PM »
When it rains it pours.My father got diagnosed with advanced malignant pancreatic cancer somewhere in kericho.I drove with him from Nakuru to Nairobi..apart from yellow eyes, stomach issues, he is fine...Praying (atheist) it's some wrong diagnosis.He had been subscribed some fucking drugs for early Parkinson disease about 3 months ago that started these issues otherwise never had issues all his life..apart from 1970s when the file says he had liver cirrhosis... don't recall my dad ever sick.He is 75 yrs old.

Sorry to hear that Pundit.
Yellow eyes and stomach issues is not fine. Something going on with the liver.
Parkinson's is not an African disease yet, but he may be one of the first. Does he have body tremors yet?

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2020, 06:56:33 PM »
When it rains it pours.My father got diagnosed with advanced malignant pancreatic cancer somewhere in kericho.I drove with him from Nakuru to Nairobi..apart from yellow eyes, stomach issues, he is fine...Praying (atheist) it's some wrong diagnosis.He had been subscribed some fucking drugs for early Parkinson disease about 3 months ago that started these issues otherwise never had issues all his life..apart from 1970s when the file says he had liver cirrhosis... don't recall my dad ever sick.He is 75 yrs old.

Parkinson's is not an African disease yet, but he may be one of the first. Does he have body tremors yet?

GS,

He passed on.

So sorry to hear that. I thought you recently lost a sister to breast cancer...
Too much to bear when everyone around you is not well.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 07:14:03 PM by Georgesoros »
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2020, 07:16:31 PM »

My uncle had parkinsons for 21 years.

Offline mankind

• Superstar
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2020, 08:37:32 PM »

Sorry for your loss pundit. From what I have seen in Kenya most of the time there is a case of either misdiagnosis or lack thereof. I lost two uncles to cancer in about 2 years one from liver cancer and the second from bone cancer. The one from liver cancer had been told several times he had everything from typhoid to ulcers only for him st Marys to confirm it was cancer when he had less than 3 months to go. The second one I was more involved. I came to Kenya in mid 2016 and my aunt told me they were at the hospital because my uncles leg was giving him trouble. He had this lump on his thigh that he thought was from some injury but it got worse making him have to start using a cane to walk. That week he got admitted at Kenyatta hospital private wing and after about another week they discharged him after a minor surgery but decided to test for cancer. Just before I left the answer came back that it might be cancer. In September of 2016 I went back again and by then he was home on a wheel chair but looking fine. The family had decided we take him to India. When I left I asked to have his scans plus any other tests done on him. I have this Oncologist at John Hopkins I had met years before on a business trip in Houston , a Ugandan called Dr Kigundu so I decided to seek his opinion. I send him all the stuff I had and the news were really bad. My uncle already had state 4 bone cancer and it had already spread to his lungs. He advised against taking him to India because as he said he wouldnt last more than 6 months. I only spoke to my other uncle and told him to find  a way of telling the family without scaring them away. The doctor even offered to prescribe some medication to help with the pain. I went back again in December and spend some time with my uncle and his family.I came back here in January and in two weeks my uncle started coughing blood. He was taken to the coptic center and in a week he was gone just like my friend has said. Remember all this time my uncles had been going to hospital and they were told nothing was that serious. As somebody said earlier always get screened  especially now that you have had two family members die from cancer. In the US they are always inquisitive if you have a family history in any disease. Unfortunately not so much back there. Take heart

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2020, 04:35:32 AM »
My uncle had parkinsons for 21 years.

Liar.
♫♫ They say all good boys go to heaven... but bad boys bring heaven to you ~ song by Julia Michaels

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2020, 04:39:22 AM »

Sorry for your loss pundit. From what I have seen in Kenya most of the time there is a case of either misdiagnosis or lack thereof. I lost two uncles to cancer in about 2 years one from liver cancer and the second from bone cancer. The one from liver cancer had been told several times he had everything from typhoid to ulcers only for him st Marys to confirm it was cancer when he had less than 3 months to go. The second one I was more involved. I came to Kenya in mid 2016 and my aunt told me they were at the hospital because my uncles leg was giving him trouble. He had this lump on his thigh that he thought was from some injury but it got worse making him have to start using a cane to walk. That week he got admitted at Kenyatta hospital private wing and after about another week they discharged him after a minor surgery but decided to test for cancer. Just before I left the answer came back that it might be cancer. In September of 2016 I went back again and by then he was home on a wheel chair but looking fine. The family had decided we take him to India. When I left I asked to have his scans plus any other tests done on him. I have this Oncologist at John Hopkins I had met years before on a business trip in Houston , a Ugandan called Dr Kigundu so I decided to seek his opinion. I send him all the stuff I had and the news were really bad. My uncle already had state 4 bone cancer and it had already spread to his lungs. He advised against taking him to India because as he said he wouldnt last more than 6 months. I only spoke to my other uncle and told him to find  a way of telling the family without scaring them away. The doctor even offered to prescribe some medication to help with the pain. I went back again in December and spend some time with my uncle and his family.I came back here in January and in two weeks my uncle started coughing blood. He was taken to the coptic center and in a week he was gone just like my friend has said. Remember all this time my uncles had been going to hospital and they were told nothing was that serious. As somebody said earlier always get screened  especially now that you have had two family members die from cancer. In the US they are always inquisitive if you have a family history in any disease. Unfortunately not so much back there. Take heart

Very true. A family friend died recently from colon cancer. After being treated for imaginary ailments for over a year at RV General Hospital in Nax. At Mater Hospital she barely lasted a month - too late. She was early 60s.
♫♫ They say all good boys go to heaven... but bad boys bring heaven to you ~ song by Julia Michaels

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2020, 04:40:45 AM »
Pole sana RV. How are the funeral arrangements with covid-19 hurdles?

Offline Pragmatic

• Mega superstar
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2020, 02:08:44 PM »

Pole sana Pundit.....

Wishing you strength and fortitude during this very low period.

May He Rest in Peace....

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2020, 05:59:30 PM »
You'll be surprised how horrible some doctors are. They don't really take time to do a little history and do a proper diagnosis. So be educated and ask lots of questions. Cancer is an now epidemic in Kenya due to our recent lifestyle changes. All kind of cancer. For men its mostly prostate after 50yrs. Women its breast cancer.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2020, 12:55:28 PM »
Thanks, everyone. My dad meant the world to me but I had six months to grieve before it happened. He was more than a dad - more a friend and someone I truly admired coz he was near a complete a person - big brains, big heart, big mouth (orator), big smile, big laughter, fast legs (at the 70s he could still outrun I bet even me), strong arms -- many accused my father for being a laibon or orkoiyot because they just couldn't figure out any weakness. Kalenjin have that kind of thinking - when you are exceptional - . They think you're using supernatural powers - others said he was a witch and many came to seek forgiveness for their sick relatives who had to cross my father path - he could out-think you, out-basically anything, including beating you to a bulb. Of course, my father was none of those things - he just the most hardworking man I know blessed with huge brains. He was my dad and drinking buddy since I was in first year - the first tusker I drunk he bought me at Parklands :) - and when I went back to campus - my friends thought my dad was crazy. We laid him to rest with all the corona restrictions.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2020, 02:08:13 PM »

Pole sana
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Njuri Ncheke

• Enigma
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2020, 03:45:36 PM »
Pole sana Punda. Losing a parent is one of the hardest thing one will go through. Fortunately you have very good memories of him this was a well spent life with him. We will all die make the most you can from being with loved ones.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2020, 04:50:52 PM »
Pole resident pundit. To higher dimensions, laibon.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution