Author Topic: Tough times ahead as maize crop wilts for lack of rain  (Read 3119 times)

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
Tough times ahead as maize crop wilts for lack of rain
« on: June 27, 2017, 06:04:06 PM »
The drought situation is going to spill over to next year. Very tough times for the vulnerable in the rural areas.  Government has to import as much as possible continuously.

http://www.nation.co.ke/business/Tough-times-ahead-as-maize-crop-wilts-for-lack-of-rain-/996-3988710-p9nby7/index.html
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Tough times ahead as maize crop wilts for lack of rain
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 06:14:05 PM »
People need to start eating alternatives - potatos are more nutritious than maize - and could do well in most parts of kenya. Rice too.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 06:26:42 PM »
Potatoes consumption is largely in urban areas - we experience shortages due to seasonality and lack of storage. Rice is also already an alternative though it is considered a light meal just like potato chips.

Maize whether boiled whole or in flour form is preferred for various reasons - price, convenience and perception as a heavy meal. There is no way we are running away from the unga question soon.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 06:31:00 PM »
Only in Kenya - across our borders - Uganda - maize is grown mainly for export to Kenya. I think GoK can do this...change will not just happen...GoK in 90s/80s went around teaching people how to cook and eat Githeri in my area...now they need to use chiefs & county gov to teach people how to eat other foods..I don't know how..but they can have barazas where different food are cooked :) something has to give; depending on ugali is not good at all- when you have 3,000 edible plants  out there.

In place like Bomet which has had 10yrs of maize virus - people are suffering and still continue to grow maize- which wilt.

I mean before 15th century there was no maize in Kenya.

Potatoes consumption is largely in urban areas - we experience shortages due to seasonality and lack of storage. Rice is also already an alternative though it is considered a light meal just like potato chips.

Maize whether boiled whole or in flour form is preferred for various reasons - price, convenience and perception as a heavy meal. There is no way we are running away from the unga question soon.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 06:45:41 PM »
It is surprising that Nigeria with its two hundred million people is still feeding on yams! Personally I find Ugali so tasteless, boring and uinspirational- how we got hooked to it so much doesn't make sense at all.

In Murang'a, governor's initiative on Napier grass and sweet potatoes makes business and weather sense but everybody is stuck on the wilting maize.

I am wondering how schools are coping with current food prices?

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 06:54:53 PM »
Yeah talking of schools - that could be one avenue to force change in our eating habits. Yeah it probably only kenya which just like their ugali. This is dangerous - like what happen to Ireland who got so used to irish potato - when potato plight hit their crop - 1/6 of them died and the rest fled to US of A.
It is surprising that Nigeria with its two hundred million people is still feeding on yams! Personally I find Ugali so tasteless, boring and uinspirational- how we got hooked to it so much doesn't make sense at all.

In Murang'a, governor's initiative on Napier grass and sweet potatoes makes business and weather sense but everybody is stuck on the wilting maize.

I am wondering how schools are coping with current food prices?

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 08:42:36 PM »
People need to start eating alternatives - potatos are more nutritious than maize - and could do well in most parts of kenya. Rice too.

I think "alternatives" are worth pursuing only if they can be produced locally in sufficient quantities and at competitive prices.   Right now, Kenya imports close to 80% of the rice it consumes.    So switching to that probably won't help. 

Potatoes are a viable option only the extent that there is not that much demand for them.   Once the demand goes up, I wouldn't be surprised if we suddenly had to import great big piles of potatoes.

To my mind, the first issue that needs to be addressed seriously is that of local production.   In the meantime, some planning for contingencies would not hurt: if we go by the usual "style", we'll be begging for food in 2018 because "the rains failed in mid-2017".
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 09:09:11 PM »
The over-reliance of maize I think is the main problem - it way too risky (lack of rains, maize diseases, army or locust invasion). Uganda even during the times of war never had food insecurity. They have always produced surplus food. They don't have one staple food..therefore if one crop fails (like maize failure in UG last year)..they don't feel hunger- they just turn to bananas or cassava or sweet potatos.

Potatos I think are now second most produce food in Kenya - and consumed if I am not wrong.Bananas is also something to think about.

We are too focused on maize  - while sweet potatos, irish potatos, bananas, cassava and rice - could easily provide more nutritious alternative.

And of course for the urbane folks - rice & wheat can fill their stomach.

Now that Agri is devolved - counties need to seriously invest in potato & banana farming - and train people how to cook those food.

I think "alternatives" are worth pursuing only if they can be produced locally in sufficient quantities and at competitive prices.   Right now, Kenya imports close to 80% of the rice it consumes.    So switching to that probably won't help. 

Potatoes are a viable option only the extent that there is not that much demand for them.   Once the demand goes up, I wouldn't be surprised if we suddenly had to import great big piles of potatoes.

To my mind, the first issue that needs to be addressed seriously is that of local production.   In the meantime, some planning for contingencies would not hurt: if we go by the usual "style", we'll be begging for food in 2018 because "the rains failed in mid-2017".

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 11:46:25 PM »
The over-reliance of maize I think is the main problem - it way too risky (lack of rains, maize diseases, army or locust invasion). Uganda even during the times of war never had food insecurity. They have always produced surplus food. They don't have one staple food..therefore if one crop fails (like maize failure in UG last year)..they don't feel hunger- they just turn to bananas or cassava or sweet potatos.

Potatos I think are now second most produce food in Kenya - and consumed if I am not wrong.Bananas is also something to think about.

We are too focused on maize  - while sweet potatos, irish potatos, bananas, cassava and rice - could easily provide more nutritious alternative.

Now that Agri is devolved - counties need to seriously invest in potato & banana farming - and train people how to cook those food.

But isn't the "over-reliance" really just a reflection of production and costs?   I don't have the figures handy,  but cultural" influences, aside---and the starving can't afford that "indulgence"---I'd be surprised if there were many people insisting on ugali and maize-meal unga with wheat and chapatis, rice, spuds, etc.  readily available at lower prices.

Another thing is that the productivity of Kenyan farmers seems to be quite low.   I see no reason to believe that people who can't grow maize "successfully" will suddenly become miracle-farmers if they just switch to another crop.   I think Kenya needs to look at how places like Ethiopia have managed to---"modestly", perhaps---transform their fortunes from the dire straits of  the 20th Century. 

Example: Back in the day, we used to have all sorts of government "agricultural-extension officers" running around.   Today?   Look at what Ethiopia---20th century dictionary definition of "mass starvation"--has done in that regard and with what results when it comes to something like maize.  Then compare the number of "agricultural-extension officers" per 1000 people in both countries.  (Some academic eggheads have written  quite a bit on that.)

MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 12:28:11 AM »
I agree, the quickest way to change what folks eat is to make the alternatives available at the same price or lower instead of screaming for folks to change their eating habits.  I remember when tilapia became scarce in the lake or too expensive, folks started eating fish like omena which they would never touch during the hay days.

But isn't the "over-reliance" really just a reflection of production and costs?   I don't have the figures handy,  but cultural" influences, aside---and the starving can't afford that "indulgence"---I'd be surprised if there were many people insisting on ugali and maize-meal unga with wheat and chapatis, rice, spuds, etc.  readily available at lower prices.

Another thing is that the productivity of Kenyan farmers seems to be quite low.   I see no reason to believe that people who can't grow maize "successfully" will suddenly become miracle-farmers if they just switch to another crop.   I think Kenya needs to look at how places like Ethiopia have managed to---"modestly", perhaps---transform their fortunes from the dire straits of  the 20th Century. 

Example: Back in the day, we used to have all sorts of government "agricultural-extension officers" running around.   Today?   Look at what Ethiopia---20th century dictionary definition of "mass starvation"--has done in that regard and with what results when it comes to something like maize.  Then compare the number of "agricultural-extension officers" per 1000 people in both countries.  (Some academic eggheads have written  quite a bit on that.)
"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 02:05:34 AM »
we shouldn't fall for this Jubilee propaganda. This is an insult adding to the claim by the Minister for Food Shortages - Bett - that Kenyans eat excessive Ugali.

In this day and age, drought (meaning the absence of rain) must not be a factor in food production. Government policies have simply shown inept leadership. One month rainfall (and we had two and half) should be enough to get a full harvest. Research has come up with maize that matures faster - 2 months - as opposed to that which used to take six months.

There should be a policy of amalgamating small holder farms by offering people quality housing in urban areas. HK could lead the way in getting "The Private Sector" to buy these lands and run commercial maize farms.

At the moment farmers get paid for their maize cheaply because the consumers can only pay so much for ugali or unga. That in turn leads to smaller acreage under maize as people prefer to grow other crops that could bring in ready cash. Sugarcane took away a lot of land in Western and Nyanza. We can have maize being used to produce other value added products such as (and I can't believe I am about to write this - God!) alcohol (and in mitigation will add) for use as fuel. There are a zillion other products which could come from maize and that could raise the price of maize and bring an encouraging windfall to the farmers.

http://www.maizeproducts.com/products/

More research could go in to getting strains of millet and sorghum that mature faster. But we cannot change the eating habits of a people just because we are unable to produce enough.

Lastly, when people's living standards improve, they also start eating other things. This is a natural development that cannot be changed by decree. Most of the "other" foods are expensive simply because the preparation adds value to the basic raw material.

It also goes without argument that the higher education a society gets and generally reduces ignorance, the wider the types of foods eaten. When I spent 2000 dollars to get the choicest caviar from Russia in 2000 and gave one small quantity to my brother (worth about USD 500), he threw it in the garbage bin where I found it while trying to empty it for the dump! The man had no idea what it was or its value.

I carried an icebox full of fresh salmon and begged my way through the airport. I prepared it for invited friends. They ate all the meat and grilled chicken but nobody ate more than a tiny slice of the salmon. Again, no matter how many decrees, they would rather starve like Somalis did in 1990 while the fish popped out of the sea leading Spanish fishermen to become billionaires overnight when they discovered the fish following news reports.

I know many Maa who think fish is a snake. Educate our people, make them prosperous and their children might know and accept a wider food basket. But condemning them after failing to provide them the power to even buy these other foods is a Jubilee approach.

Perhaps there is a reason why Uhuru wants poor Maasais and kalenjin to continue selling their land. The incentive is to make them poor so they become amenable to selling cheaply.

Pundit used a lot of words to explain the basis for Moi banning busaa in RV and fighting it hard. One could say had busaa not taken hold in Kalenjin Land, Burnt forest would still be 100% Kalenjin. May be even Nakuru, who knows?

I agree, the quickest way to change what folks eat is to make the alternatives available at the same price or lower instead of screaming for folks to change their eating habits.  I remember when tilapia became scarce in the lake or too expensive, folks started eating fish like omena which they would never touch during the hay days.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 08:27:23 AM »
Agriculture like health are two devolved functions that are bleeding. Only Iria & Nyeri governor seem to have done something on it. The rest of governors bought tractors and thought that was the solution. Mutua gave out chicken - I don't know how that went. Others gave out farm inputs.

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 01:21:38 PM »
How about sorghum and millet? Its much cheaper to produce than maize.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 01:45:17 PM »
And drought -disease resistant too - but sorghum is now sorted by EABL as KEG beer is produced from it.
http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2017/06/28/uhuru-praises-eabl-for-senator-keg-announces-sh15-billion-kisumu_c1587305
EABL have opened a KEG brewer in Kisumu..long overdue considering Nyanza produces lots of sorghum & millet.

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 02:03:39 PM »
And drought -disease resistant too - but sorghum is now sorted by EABL as KEG beer is produced from it.
And there's already shortage of sorghum for keg production. We need to produce more for both consumption and for industrial usage. Western and nyanza can comfortably produce enough for the whole country. Already people consume brown ugali  this would free up maize acreage for yellow maize production for livestock.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 03:35:16 PM »
Also the opposition of GMOs for no good scientific reason is the reason we are doing baldy. I wish UhuRuto would wake up and announce GMO maize, rice, cotton and name it are allowed.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 04:02:18 PM »
Sorghum can certainly make a great come back with the brown ugali (maize mixed with sorghum and cassava) being in vogue  because of health claims.  My village just experienced a bumper harvest they have not experienced in years.  Folks are happy now but since the neighboring regions did not experience the same, there is already panic that the poor people will sell their produce and will be hungry again in before the next harvest.

And there's already shortage of sorghum for keg production. We need to produce more for both consumption and for industrial usage. Western and nyanza can comfortably produce enough for the whole country. Already people consume brown ugali  this would free up maize acreage for yellow maize production for livestock.
"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza