Author Topic: Why is Dr Ndii against coal?  (Read 5073 times)

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
Why is Dr Ndii against coal?
« on: June 18, 2017, 09:50:07 PM »
Coal has been the de-facto energy source to leap-frog primitive economies from poverty to first-world status. Now Dr Ndii is of contrary opinion and believes Kenya should not use coal but invest in so-called green energy. How can we compete with neighbours like Ethiopia if we are investing in green energy toys that west use for PR purposes (their main source of industrial power being nuclear).

http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/Opinion/political-economy-of-Lamu-coal-plant-and-why-we-do-not-need-it/440808-3974018-otc3k4/index.html

Dear Mr President, the bell has tolled for coal project
http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/Opinion/david-ndii-dear-mr-president-the-bell-has-tolled-for-coal/440808-3953776-yyagfj/index.html

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Why is Dr Ndii against coal?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 06:49:56 AM »
Dr Doom is a certified moron. This is private venture. Coal is still the de-facto energy source.

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 08:47:22 AM »
The one thing I really don't like and really helps to keep price of energy high is the guarantee and prices locked in that KPLC has to buy from energy generators. There shouldn't be a guarantee or price locks, the market should determine that and if cheaper energy generation comes on board the consumers to benefit.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:24:36 AM »
Yeap but who will invest billions of money without guarantee. Maybe now that there is "overcapacity" - KPLC & Treasury can change the rules. There was the talk of having auction of cheapest source of power every couple of days. I think also ERC as the regulator need to step in and ensure we are getting cheap source of power.

But coal & hyrdo are our only way to 3shs per kilowatts...like Ethiopia are doing (though with subsidy). Our geothermal is twice as expensive...about 7-9shs per kilowatts..

The one thing I really don't like and really helps to keep price of energy high is the guarantee and prices locked in that KPLC has to buy from energy generators. There shouldn't be a guarantee or price locks, the market should determine that and if cheaper energy generation comes on board the consumers to benefit.

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 01:44:18 PM »
Coal prices in the west have collapsed. Most of the USA power plants are closing down. Kenya should buy the turbines etc from these plants

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 02:35:07 PM »
Won't give much credence to billion plus projects being pushed by Kirubi. 
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 03:57:51 PM »
Before calling Ndii names just read what he has to write before discrediting him. Coal plants are things of the past and it is only people like Donald Trump who are ready to invest in that source of energy. Even China has prohibited the construction of new coal plants in China, so who are we Kenyans to start to build a coal plant which is to use imported coal from S. Africa?
Also natural gas is now more efficient and enviromental friendly than coal. We have natural gas in Tanzania and in abundance in Mozambique.

Also read read in today's Daily Nation Bitange Ndemo's comment on energy resources.
"Large consumers of fossil fuels like China and India are closing coal-powered plants in favour of green energy-driven sources like wind, geothermal and solar."
http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/blogs/dot9/ndemo/2274486-3976860-k5molmz/index.html

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 04:09:09 PM »
"Clean coal" is an oxymoron.

Before calling Ndii names just read what he has to write before discrediting him. Coal plants are things of the past and it is only people like Donald Trump who are ready to invest in that source of energy. Even China has prohibited the construction of new coal plants in China, so who are we Kenyans to start to build a coal plant which is to use imported coal from S. Africa?
Also natural gas is now more efficient and enviromental friendly than coal. We have natural gas in Tanzania and in abundance in Mozambique.
"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 04:24:16 PM »
Even Environment Cabinet Secretary Judi Wakhungu says her ministry is against the Coal Plant in Lamu. :D :D :D :D

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/m/article/2001244040/environment-cs-wakhungu-turns-her-back-on-lamu-s-204-billion-coal-project

"Clean coal" is an oxymoron.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 06:02:46 PM »
It is typical of Pundit to judge someone on everything based on whether he supports Jubilee or not.

I have followed the debate on the coal plant at Lamu. Apart from coal being a major pollutant, it makes little sense to have that plant at all.

For starters the coal will come from South Africa - so there is no benefit for Kenya
Then the cost of production is much higher than Wind or Solar which brings the price of the coal produced electricity very high
The amount to be used on the plant and the freight of coal from South Africa would construct a wind or solar parks that would produce more and cheaper electricity.

About clean coal economics:

... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 06:26:00 PM »
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 07:02:13 PM »
Ndii, while not infallible is far from being an idiot, in his area of expertise.  Absent any meaningful rebuttal, I tend to defer to his authority.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 08:22:20 PM »
Dr Doom is a certified moron. This is private venture. Coal is still the de-facto energy source.

So says Pundit In Wonderland.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 09:02:26 AM »
Obviously he uses his "expertise" for cheap political sloganeering but has avoided any debate. You see the only job he has ever had apart from teaching was in Equity and he gave them his usual doom prediction- they fired him - and now Equity is second only to KCB - and is worth maybe 3B dollars.

Dr Ndoom is certified moron I don't take seriously. This coal plant at end of the day is private venture...backed by CENTUM...that churns out more billions every year while Dr Ndoom churns out doomsday scenario of every project.

Ndii, while not infallible is far from being an idiot, in his area of expertise.  Absent any meaningful rebuttal, I tend to defer to his authority.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 09:47:54 AM »
The articles are well balanced - one from Ndii and one from Bitange Ndemo. Even Ndemo is against this, for once he agrees with Ndii which should happen more among our elites if something doesn't make sense.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 10:20:28 AM »
As usual attacking Ndii personally instead of making your arguements about the topic here which is coal energy for Kenya.
Btw, being fired by a company is not a sin. Even Steve Jobs was once fired by Apple before making a comeback.

Obviously he uses his "expertise" for cheap political sloganeering but has avoided any debate. You see the only job he has ever had apart from teaching was in Equity and he gave them his usual doom prediction- they fired him - and now Equity is second only to KCB - and is worth maybe 3B dollars.

Dr Ndoom is certified moron I don't take seriously. This coal plant at end of the day is private venture...backed by CENTUM...that churns out more billions every year while Dr Ndoom churns out doomsday scenario of every project

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 10:26:16 AM »
What more argument do you want than fact that someone is willing to put down more than 2B dollars to produce 1,000mw from coal in Lamu. You're putting in arguments..they are putting billion dollars. Get it. They've done the maths. The financiers including banks putting down all those billions have done better analysis...than Dr Ndoom kienyeji attempt here.

This is private venture - all GOK did was to invite anyone willing to put down 2b to do it - and get us 1,000mw. If there is any loss we will get it's probably idle capacity charges KPLC will pay or any gurantees treasury have given...but that is nothing compared to 2 billion dollars these guys are putting.

Dr Ndoom can go back to complaining about SGR (mere 3B usd) - as we kenya enjoy the ride at 700shs and will soon start transporting containers at 50,000 to Nairobi -.

As usual attacking Ndii personally instead of making your arguements about the topic here which is coal energy for Kenya.
Btw, being fired by a company is not a sin. Even Steve Jobs was once fired by Apple before making a comeback.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 11:17:43 AM »
Pundit

I think you have not followed the Coal Plant Debate and have no idea what Dr. Ndii has said about it. This is clear from the little you have uttered here.

Let me set the record straight: Dr. Ndii has had countless debates over this issue - perhaps the longest most abiding debate. Ndii has a record of debating.

It is statements like
"What more argument do you want than fact that someone is willing to put down more than 2B dollars to produce 1,000mw from coal in Lamu. You're putting in arguments.."
. I believe these days when you want to put up any kind of structure you undertake some kind of environment impact assessment and seek the approval of NEMA - all GoK regulations. I have no idea what Pundit has said about that in the past but if I dig around I will find something contradicting the current position. I believe GoK was saying: "it is not enough to have cash you want to sink in a place (including Lamu). There are other considerations".

Some of the issues raised include the fact that the coal is to come from South Africa. The question is why can't China construct it in South Africa? There is a misconception peddled by ignorant Jubilee supporters (who these days resemble Trump Supporters) that the coal will come from Kitui!

I still can't get over the fact that Pundit thinks as long as one is ready to invest he should. Would he like me to get him an investor willing to set up a lead plant near his house where his daughter lives? Ujinga gani huu. It is very irritating to hear such crap being uttered.

1000 MW at what cost? How about double that of clean energy or the same at half the price and no pollution?

I asked Pundit and HK to explain why there are rackets where people buy the 700 shilling tickets and resell them for triple. I also asked why the 90 shs unga was being bought, unpacked and repackaged in plastic bags sold at 160.

So when Pundit makes fun of Ndii yet we know the SGR price will eventually rice as will Unga because GoK cannot sustain the subsidies beyond the election date, I fail to understand who is bullshitting us more between Ndii and Pundit

What more argument do you want than fact that someone is willing to put down more than 2B dollars to produce 1,000mw from coal in Lamu. You're putting in arguments..they are putting billion dollars. Get it. They've done the maths. The financiers including banks putting down all those billions have done better analysis...than Dr Ndoom kienyeji attempt here.

This is private venture - all GOK did was to invite anyone willing to put down 2b to do it - and get us 1,000mw. If there is any loss we will get it's probably idle capacity charges KPLC will pay or any gurantees treasury have given...but that is nothing compared to 2 billion dollars these guys are putting.

Dr Ndoom can go back to complaining about SGR (mere 3B usd) - as we kenya enjoy the ride at 700shs and will soon start transporting containers at 50,000 to Nairobi -.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 11:50:22 AM »
You can argue the whole day with Dr Ndii but China Exim banks are putting down 100B Kshs. You're talking Eurobond. This about the same. Project will cost 1.9B dollars. They've dealt with all regulatory bottleneck including NEMA and I think even land acquisition is done...project will start soon...contractor selected already. I had my small issues about keeping the coast pristine but when I saw the money these guys want to put down...who cares about pristine LAMU?

Where coal will come from will depend on guys running this for 25yrs - South Africa coal is high quality & dirty cheap.

I saw reading Magufooli of TZ complaining about Dangote cement not using TZ natural gas or coal. You see where Dangote cement is located...Mtwara area has billions of cubes of natural gas and coal. But Dangote chose to erect a COAL PLANT with coal shipped directly from South Africa.You see Dangote like the guys behind this deal are business men who deal with business reality. He refused to use the clean natural gas or TZ coal..because they are low quality and would impede his operation.

Now can Dr Ndoom go help Magufuli to dissuade Dangote from using coal shipped from South Africa - and start a solar plant down there - if natural gas or coal right there in Mtwara aint good enough? Maybe Dangote who is worth 26Billion USD knows what works and what doesn't - just like CENTUM & China financiers knows what works and what doesnt.

Dr Ndoom is ivory tower certified fool no serious businesss or gov will LISTEN TO. Equity were luckly to realize that early enough otherwise it would still be small bank with small ambition listening to doom sayer. If kenya GoK was to listen to him - we would remain small, unambitious and poor - what is 1000mw of coal plant? That is miniscule - we need 10,000 mw of coal plants in the medium term if we are crawl out of poverty.

Pundit

I think you have not followed the Coal Plant Debate and have no idea what Dr. Ndii has said about it. This is clear from the little you have uttered here.

Let me set the record straight: Dr. Ndii has had countless debates over this issue - perhaps the longest most abiding debate. Ndii has a record of debating.

It is statements like
"What more argument do you want than fact that someone is willing to put down more than 2B dollars to produce 1,000mw from coal in Lamu. You're putting in arguments.."
. I believe these days when you want to put up any kind of structure you undertake some kind of environment impact assessment and seek the approval of NEMA - all GoK regulations. I have no idea what Pundit has said about that in the past but if I dig around I will find something contradicting the current position. I believe GoK was saying: "it is not enough to have cash you want to sink in a place (including Lamu). There are other considerations".

Some of the issues raised include the fact that the coal is to come from South Africa. The question is why can't China construct it in South Africa? There is a misconception peddled by ignorant Jubilee supporters (who these days resemble Trump Supporters) that the coal will come from Kitui!

I still can't get over the fact that Pundit thinks as long as one is ready to invest he should. Would he like me to get him an investor willing to set up a lead plant near his house where his daughter lives? Ujinga gani huu. It is very irritating to hear such crap being uttered.

1000 MW at what cost? How about double that of clean energy or the same at half the price and no pollution?

I asked Pundit and HK to explain why there are rackets where people buy the 700 shilling tickets and resell them for triple. I also asked why the 90 shs unga was being bought, unpacked and repackaged in plastic bags sold at 160.

So when Pundit makes fun of Ndii yet we know the SGR price will eventually rice as will Unga because GoK cannot sustain the subsidies beyond the election date, I fail to understand who is bullshitting us more between Ndii and Pundit

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 07:02:40 PM »

Dr Ndoom is certified moron I don't take seriously. This coal plant at end of the day is private venture...backed by CENTUM...that churns out more billions every year while Dr Ndoom churns out doomsday scenario of every project.

He has this on his verified twitter handle.  If they fired him, they became his client.  Equity has not denied it.  Maybe there is a good reason to doubt him, even if it is not in evidence.  I haven't seen it.

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman