Author Topic: US Suspends Aid Over Corruption  (Read 3367 times)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
US Suspends Aid Over Corruption
« on: May 09, 2017, 11:42:39 PM »
They appear to have objections to the money being stolen.
The U.S. government has suspended $21 million in direct aid to Kenya's Ministry of Health amid concern over corruption, the embassy said on Tuesday, giving emphasis to an issue that is a growing liability for the government before August elections.

Support for HIV drugs and other health programs outside the ministry would continue, the embassy said, adding that the United States invests more than $650 million on health in Kenya annually.

"We took this step because of ongoing concern about reports of corruption and weak accounting procedures at the Ministry," the statement from the embassy said. "We are working with the Ministry on ways to improve accounting and internal controls."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-kenya-health-corruption-idUSKBN1851RY
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: US Suspends Aid Over Corruption
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 10:12:39 AM »
I thought health was devolved - donors need to devolve funding.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »
Health is devolved on paper. The Ministry of Health still withholds over 70% of the health budget at the national level. When governors cry they have too little money for health services we are told they are too lazy to spend the cash.
Jubilee especially the Mt kenya fraction is not interested in devolution. They believe "their man" will always be in power.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 03:11:18 PM »
I guess the US and other donors are to blame for the theft or contributed to it by neglecting to devolve funds? This is typical Jubilee thinking.

Uhuru pretended to devolve Health then did the following:

1. He and his cronies set up an offshore company which secretly negotiated with the ministry of Health for the leasing of equipment to the counties. The counties were then brow-beaten, blackmailed and threatened to sign up. That ensured that Uhuru and family collected 600 millions every month from the counties for five years when the contract will auto-renew
2. The counties had no opt out opportunity
3. Uhuru Kenyatta then went ahead top sign a CBA with doctors in a bid to undermine the devolution of Health. He did this knowing that the National Government had no such mandate. It led to a long strike which paralysed health services and hundreds died. So much for devolution
4. The Maternity cash became too tempting and Uhuru kept it in Nairobi to control and dish out at will. Most of it spent on the purchase of equipment and services to the counties and automatically deducted from the budgets of the counties arbitrarily. The beneficiaries were close members of Uhuru's family - sister Nyokabi and Kihanya (the Mumias Sugar Company Highway robber)
5. We all know about the Beyond Zero nonsense and the 100 mobile clinics whose actual price is a paltry 200K in China (including free freight) which "Disabled" Nyokabi collected 10 million for each.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 04:34:19 PM »

It might have crossed their mind.  But devolved stealing might still present the same problem.  From their perspective it looks the same.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 05:06:14 PM »
Health is devolved in as much as Uhuru keeps a huge amount to himself and his family and dumps the expensive function on county governments. It is the same way Kenya Ferry Services remains under the National government in terms of appointment of the leadership and management of the parastatal but when there are problems, the National Government blames Mombasa County.

Kajembe was named the boss of KFS knowing full well that he was a Joho foe.

It might have crossed their mind.  But devolved stealing might still present the same problem.  From their perspective it looks the same.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 05:41:05 PM »
Then don't give money to gok period - use NGOS or private sector.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 05:58:37 PM »
I never understand some things. Perhaps I should also bury my head in beach sand and accept double standards as the way forward.

Here is what happened when Uhuru thought this was an NGO:

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 06:01:41 PM »

Obviously GOK still has a say on regulation on NGOS.
I never understand some things. Perhaps I should also bury my head in beach sand and accept double standards as the way forward.

Here is what happened when Uhuru thought this was an NGO:

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 02:26:17 AM »
When will the Chinese step up and offer Aid or facing east is only on contract basis...

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »
Yes its devolved but the central govt gets all the funds and distributes them.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 12:36:01 PM »

Here's a novel idea: instead of asking that the people showing generosity work and finds way to ensure that their money is not stolen, why not put that responsibility on the recipients?
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 01:04:55 PM »
What is interesting for me here is that Pundit has not only watched NGOs hounded by the government and pilloried in the media for their so called "Western Contacts" but has loudly defended and cheered these assaults. He now comes out with what you call a noble idea.

I reacted to it by posting evidence of how the Uhuru Government treated the last aid that was to go to NGOs. His reaction was to declare the power of the state to do just that. One wonders which NGOs would channel the money when they all seemingly appear to be guilty of the offence of dalliance with the Evil West!

Here's a novel idea: instead of asking that the people showing generosity work and finds ways to ensure that their money is not stolen, why not put that responsibility on the recipients?

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 04:48:53 PM »

Here's a novel idea: instead of asking that the people showing generosity work and finds way to ensure that their money is not stolen, why not put that responsibility on the recipients?

Because the recipients literally have no obligation to the people the money is supposed to serve.  One of those things you want to argue, but but...ask the people.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 05:42:24 PM »
Because the recipients literally have no obligation to the people the money is supposed to serve.  One of those things you want to argue, but but...ask the people.
Quote from: MoonKi

MoonKi knows accountability is a burden placed on the recipient (GoK in this case) and the donor (USAID). The donor has sensed a stinking rat and acted in accordance with the terms of the grant.

Pundit of course must exonerate the recipient (GoK) because he has a state in it at 50% of everything - on behalf of his tribe

I think MoonKi should have in mind Beneficiaries - Wananchi. There are various models explored and tried but these have failed. The latest is Direct Cash Transfer. The donors hand over the cash to each and every beneficiary. So far apart from the intermediary theft (whoever is passing it on) results show that citizens put the money to better use than envisaged. Money meant for food has built shelters, educated children and even paid dowry and bride price (promoting peace and tranquility of the family and society)! Every indicator has shown that wanachi when trusted with their own cash transform society and themselves.

Incidentally, quite a number of those beneficiaries have been defending the theft rather strongly! They blame Raila

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 07:13:35 PM »

MoonKi knows accountability is a burden placed on the recipient (GoK in this case) and the donor (USAID). The donor has sensed a stinking rat and acted in accordance with the terms of the grant.

Pundit of course must exonerate the recipient (GoK) because he has a state in it at 50% of everything - on behalf of his tribe

I think MoonKi should have in mind Beneficiaries - Wananchi. There are various models explored and tried but these have failed. The latest is Direct Cash Transfer. The donors hand over the cash to each and every beneficiary. So far apart from the intermediary theft (whoever is passing it on) results show that citizens put the money to better use than envisaged. Money meant for food has built shelters, educated children and even paid dowry and bride price (promoting peace and tranquility of the family and society)! Every indicator has shown that wanachi when trusted with their own cash transform society and themselves.

Incidentally, quite a number of those beneficiaries have been defending the theft rather strongly! They blame Raila

The other possibility is to help, but avoid giving out money to the locals.  Perhaps put the money into mission hospitals run by westerners.

My feeling is that if they couldn't care about their own taxes, they would care less about donor funds.

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 02:13:19 AM »

MOON Ki (not MoonKi) knows that accountability on the donor's end is on behalf the taxpayers at that end, and the donor is trying to deliver that accountability.   It is not for the recipients to demand any sort of accountability on the donor's end or to suggest ways to shift the responsibility of ensuring that freebies are put to their intended good use, unless the recipients are of the view that the donor's generosity is something  they are entitled to as matter of right.

Every indicator has shown that wanachi when trusted with their own cash transform society and themselves.

The cash being discussed is not the wananchi's own cash; that would be tax money they pay and revenue that their government collects.   Any suggestions for how the wananchi can use their own cash to transform their lives should start with the latter, not the former.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 03:23:49 PM »
Exactly. Corruption is institutionalized so mission hospitals are better than politically connected hsopitals.

The other possibility is to help, but avoid giving out money to the locals.  Perhaps put the money into mission hospitals run by westerners.

My feeling is that if they couldn't care about their own taxes, they would care less about donor funds.