Author Topic: Martha Karua has made a smart political choice  (Read 6537 times)

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
Martha Karua has made a smart political choice
« on: November 10, 2016, 07:19:56 PM »
Her first smart choice was to run for governor.  Governors are the future of Kenya's progress and we need very strong governors all over the country. It will strengthen our democracy and the delivery of services to the people.  The 2nd smart choice was to announce that she will support Ouru.  She has no chance of winning the governorship without supporting ouru.  Now she can try her luck. She still has the uphill task of defeating a Jubilee candidate but her chances has improved just by declaring her support for Ouru.
"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Martha Karua has made a smart political choice
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 11:31:10 PM »
Her first smart choice was to run for governor.  Governors are the future of Kenya's progress and we need very strong governors all over the country. It will strengthen our democracy and the delivery of services to the people.  The 2nd smart choice was to announce that she will support Ouru.  She has no chance of winning the governorship without supporting ouru.  Now she can try her luck. She still has the uphill task of defeating a Jubilee candidate but her chances has improved just by declaring her support for Ouru.

Smart being a relative term, to each his own. Strengthnening democracy and delivery of services by supporting one of the most corrupt leaderships on the continent is err..debatable
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 02:13:10 AM »
This politics where sometimes the end justifies the means. In this case it does. Once she can do whatever she wants. Supporting ouru does not being his puppet or being as corrupt. I hope ouru does not have some initiatiation rituals before he can accept her support. Jubilee will probably field a candidate against her and therefore if she wins it will be on her own and she can be her own woman.

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 04:11:09 AM »
This politics where sometimes the end justifies the means. In this case it does. Once she can do whatever she wants. Supporting ouru does not being his puppet or being as corrupt. I hope ouru does not have some initiatiation rituals before he can accept her support. Jubilee will probably field a candidate against her and therefore if she wins it will be on her own and she can be her own woman.

Well.  The end is she will get crushed by mama NYS moneybags.  She will lose the election and whatever veneer of principle she had left.  A shame.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 01:45:33 PM »
Martha has already lost that election. Huyo NYS looter has big moni and SH backing no matter what eveidence is unearthed against her in the NYS saga.

Well.  The end is she will get crushed by mama NYS moneybags.  She will lose the election and whatever veneer of principle she had left.  A shame.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 05:16:48 PM »
I like people who try.  Martha definitely has steep hill to climb but the highest mountain in the world has been climbed.  Trump was given zero chances of being president when he announced.  It is fear of failing that scares most people.  Martha has made a bold move and I applaud her for that.  If she loses, others doors will open up in the future, it will not be the end of the world. However, she may also win. We tend to base our predictions on the premises that today will be exactly like tomorrow. 2017 election eve will be very different from today and therefore no one can tell me that they know for a certain that Martha will lose this election. Even if she does it will only be  a lucky guess.

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 06:30:44 PM »
I like people who try.  Martha definitely has steep hill to climb but the highest mountain in the world has been climbed.  Trump was given zero chances of being president when he announced.  It is fear of failing that scares most people.  Martha has made a bold move and I applaud her for that.  If she loses, others doors will open up in the future, it will not be the end of the world. However, she may also win. We tend to base our predictions on the premises that today will be exactly like tomorrow. 2017 election eve will be very different from today and therefore no one can tell me that they know for a certain that Martha will lose this election. Even if she does it will only be  a lucky guess.

She will be clobbered.  At the end of the day she will be like Mama Ngilu.  A political harlot with no principles.  And no constituency either.  Reminds me of the fable of the hyena.  In one fell swoop she has sacrificed what she had going for her at the alter of political expediency.  More desperate than smart.

Here is what would have been bold.  If she decided to contest Siaya governorship - probably same outcome, but a big statement and principles intact.  There is nothing bold in lining up behind muthamaki to run in Central - it's what every two bit politician does.  A certain Kichwa-Mbaya used to talk of people running on principle and slaying the ethnicity ogre.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 06:32:36 PM »
She does not condone corruption like Uhuru.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 11:10:24 PM »
Exactly-Martha does not condone corruption and will be good as a county chief executive.  Her statement about supporting ouru was very carefully worded.  She said that she respects the wishes of people of kirinyaga who support ouru and that she will do the same to earn their vote.  She did not say that she endorsed ouru's corrupt dealings.  Politics in a democracy is about compromises and reaching middle grounds on certain things.  This is a good compromise which does not compromise her values. Whether it will work I do not know but neither do I think that those who say it won't work have any greater insight into how it will play out.  Anything can happen between now and the time Kenyans go to the polls in in 2017.

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 10:20:31 AM »
Exactly-Martha does not condone corruption and will be good as a county chief executive.  Her statement about supporting ouru was very carefully worded.  She said that she respects the wishes of people of kirinyaga who support ouru and that she will do the same to earn their vote.  She did not say that she endorsed ouru's corrupt dealings.  Politics in a democracy is about compromises and reaching middle grounds on certain things.  This is a good compromise which does not compromise her values. Whether it will work I do not know but neither do I think that those who say it won't work have any greater insight into how it will play out.  Anything can happen between now and the time Kenyans go to the polls in in 2017.

This is a myth.

Karua was in government in a powerful position during the NARC looting spree.

Either of two things:

1. She saw and heard absolutely nothing.
2. She saw and heard everything but kept quiet.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 06:44:04 PM »
The fight against corruption in Kenya must begin with the president. Martha has never been president.

This is a myth.

Karua was in government in a powerful position during the NARC looting spree.

Either of two things:

1. She saw and heard absolutely nothing.
2. She saw and heard everything but kept quiet.

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 09:56:56 AM »
The fight against corruption in Kenya must begin with the president. Martha has never been president.

Quite true.

But she's supported more than enough corrupt politicians and she has only given lip service to corruption, even though she personally worked with the most vile politicians we have in Kenya.

For her to have even a fighting chance of being governor, she knows she has to rely on the support of very unsavory donors and supporters, who'll be demanding to be rewarded through dubious means if she wins.

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 07:04:50 PM »

Quite true.

But she's supported more than enough corrupt politicians and she has only given lip service to corruption, even though she personally worked with the most vile politicians we have in Kenya.

For her to have even a fighting chance of being governor, she knows she has to rely on the support of very unsavory donors and supporters, who'll be demanding to be rewarded through dubious means if she wins.

In any case she will lose.  The other side has an easy task of exposing her as "untrustworthy".  It's a far from smart move on many levels.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »

Noted.  She only supports a very corrupt President.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 07:08:56 PM »
I certainly do respect your views on it but that she will lose or win is an opinion and should not be expressed as a fact.  It is my opinion that she has made a smart move and its obvious that you disagree and I respect that. 

Quite true.

In any case she will lose.  The other side has an easy task of exposing her as "untrustworthy".  It's a far from smart move on many levels.

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 07:38:07 PM »
I certainly do respect your views on it but that she will lose or win is an opinion and should not be expressed as a fact.  It is my opinion that she has made a smart move and its obvious that you disagree and I respect that. 

Quite true.

To be fair, strictly speaking, mine is an opinion.  But one that is easily demonstrable - the converse on the other hand...Not all opinions carry the same weight.

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 09:14:09 AM »
Martha Karua is politically past-tense. She need to realize her time came and went with kibaki/Raila. She'll do well to confine her affairs to Kirinyanga. The 90s young turk have had their time and now are in the sunset of their careers...raila,martha,orengos...name all of them near 70s yrs...cannot to compete with 50 year old in UhuRutos.

The generational shift happened in 2013...

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 02:56:17 PM »
You are entitled to your opinion but not to your own facts. Raila,Martha, Kilonzo and all those people you have mentioned are all politically relevant just as ouru and Ruto and may even survive ouru. If they are not relevant then why are we even talking about them if I may ask. Devolution and multi party has greatly expanded the Kenyas political ecosystem. You are stuck in the Kanu days when only the president and his cabinet were considered politically relevant. The corrupt and the inept ouruto government has made leaders like Raila and Martha even more relevant today more than ever.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 03:46:03 PM »
Martha Karua even with Raila heavy dose of Kiwi polish every day is fastly aging and her competitors are very young - a whole generation younger. I just don't see how you expect Raila to be relevant post-Uhuru.Age is fast catching up with them...they are slowing going into 80s..their epic struggles with moi and Kanu doesn't not resonate with the majority of kenyans now ( I am talking millions of new voters who were born in 1999 and will vote next year. The so called millenials do not understand why Martha or Raila feel entitled or are heros...and Uhuru has this thing locked for another 6yrs.

I wouldn't invest in Martha or Raila or Kalonzo or Orengo if I were a community or region or a voter.So martha goes for Muranga governor and when she is 75yrs then rans for PORK. I'd invest in Murkomen (not even 40yrs), Ruto (exactly 50), Kiunjuri(47),Mutua, Joho, name them.

The path she is trying through governorship requires a young leader of Mutua or Joho...who' go to proof their mantle 10yrs..become say DP or CS for another 10yrs..then ran for PORK. Now Martha karua is going fullcycle...from running for national seat..to retreating to governorship. How do you make the switch back?

You are entitled to your opinion but not to your own facts. Raila,Martha, Kilonzo and all those people you have mentioned are all politically relevant just as ouru and Ruto and may even survive ouru. If they are not relevant then why are we even talking about them if I may ask. Devolution and multi party has greatly expanded the Kenyas political ecosystem. You are stuck in the Kanu days when only the president and his cabinet were considered politically relevant. The corrupt and the inept ouruto government has made leaders like Raila and Martha even more relevant today more than ever.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 04:42:39 PM »
Politics is not about age, its about ideas and issues.  The USA just elected a 70 year old president after electing Obama in 2008 when he was only 46.  Kenya is maturing very fast politically-thanks to devolution, multi-party and freedom of speech and expression all enshrined in the new katiba. If corruption will be the next big issue then Martha Karua and Raila will be relevant regardless of their age. The new generation may not identify with the 2nd liberation but they understand corruption, tribalism and ineptitude.  Separate your personal opinions from facts. Raila is very relevant today because the issues he raises are relevant regardless of his age. Even if he loses in 2017 he can still run in 2022 if the issues are still relevant-he will only be 75 years old.

Martha Karua even with Raila heavy dose of Kiwi polish every day is fastly aging and her competitors are very young - a whole generation younger. I just don't see how you expect Raila to be relevant post-Uhuru.Age is fast catching up with them...they are slowing going into 80s..their epic struggles with moi and Kanu doesn't not resonate with the majority of kenyans now ( I am talking millions of new voters who were born in 1999 and will vote next year. The so called millenials do not understand why Martha or Raila feel entitled or are heros...and Uhuru has this thing locked for another 6yrs.

I wouldn't invest in Martha or Raila or Kalonzo or Orengo if I were a community or region or a voter.So martha goes for Muranga governor and when she is 75yrs then rans for PORK. I'd invest in Murkomen (not even 40yrs), Ruto (exactly 50), Kiunjuri(47),Mutua, Joho, name them.

The path she is trying through governorship requires a young leader of Mutua or Joho...who' go to proof their mantle 10yrs..become say DP or CS for another 10yrs..then ran for PORK. Now Martha karua is going fullcycle...from running for national seat..to retreating to governorship. How do you make the switch back?