Author Topic: Bullet trains and delusions of mega techno-cities  (Read 3467 times)

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
Bullet trains and delusions of mega techno-cities
« on: September 13, 2014, 11:24:57 PM »
    *This country, and much of the continent, is in the grip of a cargo cult. It is now an article of faith that grand infrastructure is the fairy ship that will deliver all the goodies we have ever dreamed of possessing. What else are we to make of this?:
    *The underperformance of our railway service has nothing to do with the gauge of the track. Neither is it on account of the low speed or load capacity. The single most important reason for its underperformance is lack of trains.
    *Over the last decade, the economy has expanded by about 60 per cent. Electricity consumption has increased by about the same. These figures are based on the current GDP, which we expect to be revised upwards shortly.

More at: http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/Opinion/bullet-trains-delusions-mega-techno-cities/-/440808/2450902/-/s9mfcxz/-/index.html

Offline bryan275

• Enigma
Re: Bullet trains and delusions of mega techno-cities
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 07:15:09 AM »
Mr Ndiis thinking is too sophisticated for our lazy kleptocrats it's almost comical.  The mega projects are designed to steal.  Nothing more.

I think I read somewhere that SGR will run diesel locos?  So why the need for massive electricity generation?

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 01:35:45 PM »
I also like Dr ndii articles though they are mostly optimistic (realistic). There is need for policy informed by facts, evidence, sciences, projections, feasibility studies, and the works.

Lapset for once i believe is project that is not well thought of...just way too many risks...

Offline bryan275

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 02:13:36 PM »
I also like Dr ndii articles though they are mostly optimistic (realistic). There is need for policy informed by facts, evidence, sciences, projections, feasibility studies, and the works.

Lapset for once i believe is project that is not well thought of...just way too many risks...

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 03:01:11 PM »
Right. Our infrastructure esp transport and energy are amongst the world worst.