Author Topic: Mugabe Interviewed in Abuja  (Read 21672 times)

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Re: Mugabe Interviewed in Abuja
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2015, 06:43:46 PM »
During that period Mugabe was under serious threat from Morgan Tsvangirai and MDC.  The fog of time may make that seem incredible.  But he was on the brink of being ousted.
It was a massive setback for Blair. The money used by his intelligence services assisted by others - I suspect the CIA - was enormous. And they didn't overthrow Bob!
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2015, 06:44:16 PM »
Omollo:

At the time Zimbabwe became independent, I used to think very highly of Mugabe.   I heard him talk numerous times.   I observed how he deftly handled Lord Soames during those negotiations.

My views changed when it soon became clear that he was going to go the standard African way: the Ndebele massacres. And, true to form, Comrade Bob hasn't looked back since then.

http://mg.co.za/article/2011-08-14-top-mugabe-official-raises-ghost-of-tribal-massacres

That's Hero Bob for you.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2015, 07:12:14 PM »
Omollo:

At the time Zimbabwe became independent, I used to think very highly of Mugabe.   I heard him talk numerous times.   I observed how he deftly handled Lord Soames during those negotiations.

My views changed when it soon became clear that he was going to go the standard African way: the Ndebele massacres. And, true to form, Comrade Bob hasn't looked back since then.

http://mg.co.za/article/2011-08-14-top-mugabe-official-raises-ghost-of-tribal-massacres

That's Hero Bob for you.
Matabeleland was something for the ages.  Very early in Mugabe's rule too.  It's not surprising that Ndebele's hate the man, even without factoring in the African's tribal biases.

Most Shonas thought the Ndebele deserved what they got.  There was one guy would not tire of talking about the 5th brigade and how they disciplined "those' people.  Today, he cannot stand Mugabe.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2015, 07:15:32 PM »
No. I will answer you generally as I need to go.

There is land that was restored to the owners. I can't remember the cut off date but its from 1978 backwards to perhaps UDI, which would be around 1965.

There is land taken to ease the resettlement of peasants who may not have had land before.

There are commercial farms (mostly stolen communal and grazing lands) which have been leased to Africans. There are farms still owned and run by white farmers.

As far as I can tell, the "rental tax" is new (May 2015) and so would be separate from the existing lease etc.    No matter, my basic points remain:

* There will be major compensation for the heroic reclamation of the land.

* The compensation will not be on Mugabe's terms, e.g. "we only pay for development and improvements".

* After all the heroics, major change in Zimbabwe will depend on the very "villains" Comrade Bob has been denouncing, with so much vitriol.

How about Kung Fu, Saviour of Africa?

Look at Zim's attempts to get money from there, especially the major efforts in 2014.  There was plenty of talk from Zim ministers on how they would wrap up arrangements for almost $30 billion from Kung Fu.   In the end? Here is how some reported in from down there:

"China puts screws on Zim"

http://mg.co.za/article/2015-01-23-china-puts-screws-on-zim

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2015, 07:43:59 PM »
During that period Mugabe was under serious threat from Morgan Tsvangirai and MDC.  The fog of time may make that seem incredible.  But he was on the brink of being ousted.
It was a massive setback for Blair. The money used by his intelligence services assisted by others - I suspect the CIA - was enormous. And they didn't overthrow Bob!
I don't have the details about who backed whom in financial terms. 

But it's fair to say Tsvangirai enjoyed goodwill in the West and from the white farmers - but interestingly also from a large portion of the population. 

Mugabe had the popular chimurenga veterans on his side many of whom were landless .  Overall it was widely acknowledged that the election was going to be close.

In a period when African big men were falling, Mugabe panicked.  Having ruled virtually unchallenged. he was predisposed to do anything, including irrational acts, to avoid defeat.

That is the prism through which I see his actions on land.  It is possible to do the right thing, in the wrong way, at the wrong time, for the wrong reasons.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2015, 07:56:25 PM »
Thanking them for what. US dollars are global currency. They do not belong to US as soon as it leaves the printing press. They are recognized globally.

The US $ is not a currency that has been created by some UN body.  It is a currency that the US has created largely for its own benefit;  that is sometimes understood the hard way when the US takes actions on domestic interests, and people elsewhere feel the pain.   So Zim should thank the US for providing the world with a currency that people can rely on even after they have f**ked up their own.

Here is some Dollar 101 for you:

"Companies, consumers and central banks around the world prefer the dollar to other currencies, including the euro and yen, because they trust the Federal Reserve and the U.S. government to back it."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-07-15/dollar-dominance-intact-as-u-s-fines-on-banks-raise-ire

Zim has simply (and wisely) decided that, in money matters, Uncle Sam is more trustworthy than Uncle Bob.

It is also amusing to hear Zim rail against the US, tell the world that they can do this and that on their own, and then say "oh, we need to use their currency".   

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2015, 08:01:20 PM »
Thanking them for what. US dollars are global currency. They do not belong to US as soon as it leaves the printing press. They are recognized globally.

The US $ is not a currency that has been created by some UN body.  It is a currency that the US has created largely for its own benefit;  that is sometimes understood the hard way when the US takes actions on domestic interests, and people elsewhere feel the pain.   So Zim should thank the US for providing the world with a currency that people can rely on even after they have f**ked up their own.

Here is some Dollar 101 for you:

"Companies, consumers and central banks around the world prefer the dollar to other currencies, including the euro and yen, because they trust the Federal Reserve and the U.S. government to back it."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-07-15/dollar-dominance-intact-as-u-s-fines-on-banks-raise-ire

It is also amusing to hear Zim rail against the US, tell the world that they can do this and that on their own, and then say "oh, we need to use their currency".   

You don't need US permission to use USD. The very Talibans who bloodied America in Afghanistan have been using it for years and closer home, al shabaab and even Boko Haram who hate anything West except ammo.
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2015, 08:04:41 PM »
He earns the lowest salary and insists on spending the money he earns. He saves unlike other big men.

This sort of thing never impresses me.    Even if he did not earn a single cent, I'm sure he would live in whatever style he wished for, as he now does, and with Zimbabweans still footing the bill.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2015, 08:05:41 PM »
You don't need US permission to use USD.

No, you don't.   And the point?   

That said, it is important to remember that almost all dollar transactions end up being cleared by a handful of places in the US.    Those who use the dollar when the US has issues with them inevitably run into uhappy times:

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2011/08/26/164140.html

The very Talibans who bloodied America in Afghanistan have been using it for years and closer home, al shabaab and even Boko Haram who hate anything West except ammo.

Indeed.  They profess to hate the people who create the currency and whose backing makes it what it is.   They might rail even against America's "ungodly"  capitalism.   But still they use that currency.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2015, 08:26:08 PM »
Moonki is predictably running on empty...when land reforms didn't work out...now let talk about massacre in ndebeleland...when that doesn't work let talk about USD and ohoo glutch at the straw that Mugabe will pay eventually.

When will white farmers and colonoliast pay?

And when will US pay for slavery.

Mugabe remain a hero that stood against the bullies and has prevailed. An African hero if there was one.

Some folks have so much low self esteem they would gladly welcome slavery and coloniliasm.

African farmer can and will be as good as European farmer....as has been demonstrated here in Kenya.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2015, 08:37:55 PM »
When will white farmers and colonoliast pay?

And when will US pay for slavery.

These are good questions.     Should they pay?    I think there's any number of arguments that can be made to the effect that they should.   But the critical question, in the world of real realities,  is this: is there even the slightest chance that they will ever pay? 

In the meantime, Mugabe & Co Heroes are moving towards paying for the land that was reclaimed. Perhaps they should deduct what they think they are owed?

Mugabe remain a hero that stood against the bullies and has prevailed. An African hero if there was one.

What a man.    We should all have our leaders emulate Mugabe and have African countries turned into Zimbabwes.

Some folks have so much low self esteem they would gladly welcome slavery and coloniliasm.

Yes.   What do you suggest we do about, or to, or with them?

African farmer can and will be as good as European farmer....as has been demonstrated here in Kenya.

The issue is not whether or not African farmers are or can be as good as European farmers; the issue is one of African feeding themselves.     So, I am not particularly interested in such comparisons.   I am more interested in, say, why it is that Kenyan farmers are supposedly quite capable, but Kenya's begging for food aid is regular and seemingly endless.

(It is, of course, "amusing" that we have countries growing food on African land, taking it back to their homes,  and then turning around to give food aid to starving Africans who go begging.)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2015, 10:31:34 PM »
You don't need US permission to use USD.

No, you don't.   And the point?   

That said, it is important to remember that almost all dollar transactions end up being cleared by a handful of places in the US.    Those who use the dollar when the US has issues with them inevitably run into uhappy times:

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2011/08/26/164140.html

The very Talibans who bloodied America in Afghanistan have been using it for years and closer home, al shabaab and even Boko Haram who hate anything West except ammo.

Indeed.  They profess to hate the people who create the currency and whose backing makes it what it is.   They might rail even against America's "ungodly"  capitalism.   But still they use that currency.
Point is you don't use USD when you agree with US policies. There is zero contradiction in Zim adopting USD while railing against US. So get something more creative to show Mugabe's duplicity if you really have to.

Zim is adopting USD as its currency which is very different from using USD in international trade. Just about all countries use USD on their international trade. Sanctions would affect these and that was the case in Syria. The dollar still is king in ISIS strongholds. Polish your economics 100 &101
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2015, 10:37:10 PM »
Point is you don't use USD when you agree with US policies. There is zero contradiction in Zim adopting USD while railing against US. So get something more creative to show Mugabe's duplicity if you really have to.

Yes, that is the point, isn't it.  If it is.   I have nothing to show for "Mugabe's duplicity", for the very simple reason that I have not claimed any in this regard.   My point was simply that I find it amusing, and I still do.

Zim is adopting USD as its currency which is very different from using USD in international trade.

That is actually the bit I find especially amusing.  Using it as Zim currency.   But if I may ask: where does Zimbabwe get the dollars from and by what means?

Polish your economics 100 &101

Excellent suggestion.   I shall  promptly get to work.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2015, 08:19:36 AM »

Yes, that is the point, isn't it.  If it is.   I have nothing to show for "Mugabe's duplicity", for the very simple reason that I have not claimed any in this regard.   My point was simply that I find it amusing, and I still do.

Zim is adopting USD as its currency which is very different from using USD in international trade.

That is actually the bit I find especially amusing.  Using it as Zim currency.   But if I may ask: where does Zimbabwe get the dollars from and by what means?

Polish your economics 100 &101

Excellent suggestion.   I shall  promptly get to work.
There is nothing amusing about Zim adopting USD while cursing US.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2015, 10:56:10 AM »
These are two different issues:
1. Productivity of the Farms Under African Ownership
2. National Food Security

Number one can help achieve number two. But is it is not mandatory. Not all countries with Food Security produce all the food domestically.

We can discuss the reasons why individual countries suffer Food insecurity despite having highly productive farms and farmers. There is no uniform explanation covering all African countries unless one buys in to the usual smear of Laziness and Dependency on "a few whites".

Apart from 1979 - 80 food shortages in Kenya have been largely artificial. The food has been on side of the country while needed on another. That spells a problem unrelated to classic food "shortage".
The issue is not whether or not African farmers are or can be as good as European farmers; the issue is one of African feeding themselves.     So, I am not particularly interested in such comparisons.   I am more interested in, say, why it is that Kenyan farmers are supposedly quite capable, but Kenya's begging for food aid is regular and seemingly endless.

(It is, of course, "amusing" that we have countries growing food on African land, taking it back to their homes,  and then turning around to give food aid to starving Africans who go begging.)
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2015, 10:59:13 AM »
Zim took an economic decision. It was not based on love or hate.

Personally, I think it was genius. It rendered all the MI6 and CIA printed Zim dollars useless. Of course I was disappointed that they did not dump USD in the slums to create "inflation".

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2015, 11:07:54 AM »
Something for you at last! We will keep trying until we find something to "impress" you! :D

He does not need to live in a hovel. There is a house for the Head of State which has been there for decades. He is entitled to what the state lawfully provides.

The difference is that Bob is scrupulously fastidious in the avoidance of excesses. That is why despite all the rumours of stashed wealth etc, there has never been any substantiation. Zero.

What I may ask is this lifestyle that Zimbabweans are paying for?

He earns the lowest salary and insists on spending the money he earns. He saves unlike other big men.

This sort of thing never impresses me.    Even if he did not earn a single cent, I'm sure he would live in whatever style he wished for, as he now does, and with Zimbabweans still footing the bill.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2015, 07:46:38 PM »
I am glad that Zim ministers have now learned the power of spin. They are using the same tools used by white settlers to destroy Mugabe's reputation and almost overturn the Land Reform in Zimbabwe to salvage the country.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2015, 08:31:57 PM »
Next Moonki will want Mugabe to abandon using anything american. USD is just like the computer I'm using. It US manufactured but I bought it. The same with USD. No one has beef with American people and it's product. The beef remain with PARTICULAR LEADERSHIP of US.
Zim took an economic decision. It was not based on love or hate.

Personally, I think it was genius. It rendered all the MI6 and CIA printed Zim dollars useless. Of course I was disappointed that they did not dump USD in the slums to create "inflation".

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2015, 08:34:03 PM »
They have tried with every trip he makes to hospital or the wife makes...but clearly Bob is not Moi or Kenyatta...with billions stashed. The man is not only brilliant but also brave. The man fought white settlers in the bush and when he won..he generously gave them 20yrs...and when that wasn't enough..surely surely..what was Bob to do. Bend over for another 50yrs.

History will be kind to Mugabe..the real hero in Africa.

Something for you at last! We will keep trying until we find something to "impress" you! :D

He does not need to live in a hovel. There is a house for the Head of State which has been there for decades. He is entitled to what the state lawfully provides.

The difference is that Bob is scrupulously fastidious in the avoidance of excesses. That is why despite all the rumours of stashed wealth etc, there has never been any substantiation. Zero.

What I may ask is this lifestyle that Zimbabweans are paying for?