Author Topic: Kenya athletics on a downward spiral  (Read 6546 times)

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Kenya athletics on a downward spiral
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2024, 11:25:13 AM »
Reality on ground is different. US is and will be a super power in sprints for decades to come. The biggest competitor is Jamaica. African countreis still have a long way to go because of poor training facilites. Who pays the athletes when they are training and have no income? For every one athlete that makes it to the Olympics, you need thousands that train very hard and get nowhere. Who can afford to maintain such an enviroment?

Btwm Noah Lyles was running while being covid+. This was a big hinderance. I am not even sure why he was allowed to take part in the race.

Letsile Tebogo zips up Noah Lyles big mouth in the 200.  The future of sprinting is in Southern Africa.  There were 4 Africans in the final, 2 Zimbabweans, 1 Botswanan and 1 Liberian.  You love to see that.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2024, 01:23:55 PM »
800m - Wanyonyi and Kinyamal qualify for finals.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2024, 10:39:35 PM »
Chebet doubles gold - wins 10,000.

We still have gold prospect at 1500 with Faith

And possibly one of the marathons.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2024, 12:52:42 AM »
Chebet doubles gold - wins 10,000.

We still have gold prospect at 1500 with Faith

And possibly one of the marathons.

Yep.  I would add 800(worst case) silver.  Chebet looks like Kipyegon's future nemesis.  But I suspect Faith will move to the marathon as she approaches retirement.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2024, 12:57:26 AM »
Reality on ground is different. US is and will be a super power in sprints for decades to come. The biggest competitor is Jamaica. African countreis still have a long way to go because of poor training facilites. Who pays the athletes when they are training and have no income? For every one athlete that makes it to the Olympics, you need thousands that train very hard and get nowhere. Who can afford to maintain such an enviroment?

Btwm Noah Lyles was running while being covid+. This was a big hinderance. I am not even sure why he was allowed to take part in the race.

Letsile Tebogo zips up Noah Lyles big mouth in the 200.  The future of sprinting is in Southern Africa.  There were 4 Africans in the final, 2 Zimbabweans, 1 Botswanan and 1 Liberian.  You love to see that.

Of course the US is a monster in sprints.  But I am beginning to think Southern Africa has been slept on.  Going forward, Lyles has to contend with Tebogo.  Tebogo is 21 and running times no one - including Usain Bolt - has ever run at that age.  It's easy to overlook the guy because he has a low-key demeanor.  Noah's Covid excuses not-withstanding, Tebogo's winning time was not something even Noah does with regularity. 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2024, 11:24:09 AM »
Kipchoge era ends as finish distant 70.

Kipruto wins us Bronze.

Yes Wanyonyi could pull a gold - suprise.

• Enigma
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2024, 05:40:24 PM »

Kipruto wins us Bronze.

Sad way for Kipchoge to go.  He never recovered from the accusations for Kiptum's death. 

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2024, 08:22:14 PM »
Wanyonyi pulls a gold. This boy has lots of future going for him if he remains humble

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2024, 08:23:25 PM »

Kipruto wins us Bronze.

Sad way for Kipchoge to go.  He never recovered from the accusations for Kiptum's death. 
Age is finally catching up..man must 45yrs.. definitely older than me. He can make few millions in appearance fees for maybe two or three marathons before going into coaching

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2024, 08:25:36 PM »
Ideally kipchoge should continue running in majors for old folks n make money globally by promoting running

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2024, 11:55:08 AM »
I am surprised to learn populous India has zero medals.. almost mkia with tiny Grenada and Fiji :)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-interactive/2024/aug/08/paris-olympics-2024-medal-table-latest
♫♫ They say all good boys go to heaven... but bad boys bring heaven to you ~ song by Julia Michaels

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2024, 12:09:11 PM »
The athletes have done very well. They have shaken off the Covid restrictions mismanagement and health implications.

Very competitive spirit.

It was disappointing to see the crazy javelin throws which edged out in form Yego. That Pakistani Nadeem was just surreal. His story too. Just like Yego.

https://www.reuters.com/sports/olympics/mud-brick-house-olympic-podium-arshad-nadeem-is-unlikely-pakistani-hero-2024-08-09/
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2024, 12:36:50 PM »
This is a universal for career in sports but our environment makes it worse and hard.

There are millions of opportunities for these athletes with global names if they do not focus on retreating to Taptenglei to build manyatta and grab bar maids from hawkish Mulot boys swiping their cards.

They also need to drop inferiority complex first by saying no to the useless limiting police and jeshi jobs. Ile ujinga tuko nayo ni too much. Be arrogant like Kemboi and then use it for showbiz, podcasts, appearances locally/globally and all. Humility kitu gani?

Commentating requires they get serious with public speaking and English lessons. Even Joho has become fluent in English😁. Kwinya government despite having shares in Multichoice and in turn Supersports hires mzungu former athletes as commentators- bure kabisa.

Annual wellness running projects from Cairo to Cape Town.

Likely Kipchoge will be appointed to some useless boards and will end up like corruption tainted Kipchoge in old age.

Kipchoge should be retired coaching or consulting for Kenya sports.

Ideally kipchoge should continue running in majors for old folks n make money globally by promoting running

• Enigma
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2024, 05:30:57 AM »
Wanyonyi pulls a gold. This boy has lots of future going for him if he remains humble
Wanyonyi is what Nijel Amos thought he was.  Rudisha’s record is on borrowed time and three guys might have eclipsed it by this time next year.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2024, 06:15:25 AM »
The athletes have done very well. They have shaken off the Covid restrictions mismanagement and health implications.

Very competitive spirit.

It was disappointing to see the crazy javelin throws which edged out in form Yego. That Pakistani Nadeem was just surreal. His story too. Just like Yego.

https://www.reuters.com/sports/olympics/mud-brick-house-olympic-podium-arshad-nadeem-is-unlikely-pakistani-hero-2024-08-09/

No cricket in the Olympics.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2024, 06:22:18 AM »

Wanyonyi is what Nijel Amos thought he was.  Rudisha’s record is on borrowed time and three guys might have eclipsed it by this time next year.

You are conflating arrogance for likability.  People like Kipchoge despite his humble demeanor.  The winnings do the talking.

Harriet Tubman

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2024, 03:52:04 PM »
Amazing Tebogo homecoming celebrations in Botswana.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2024, 05:34:05 PM »

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2024, 06:00:59 PM »