Author Topic: What do people eat in USA ? There's nothing to eat.  (Read 5155 times)

Offline veritas

• Enigma
What do people eat in USA ? There's nothing to eat.
« on: January 02, 2015, 07:13:40 AM »
I noticed a sore lack of asian culture meaning no decent cuisine to eat. No sushi, vietnamese, japanese, hardly thai foods to eat. The take out situation looks to be in crisis mode. Where are all the quaint little cafes ? Genuine health food outlets? They seem to have such long, flashy names for coffee drinks and the likes but so little authenticity. This is like a FAT capital. I've been eating Subway for many days now. I can't eat anything else take out wise. I'd kill for good coffee right now.

Offline bryan275

• Enigma
Re: What do people eat in USA ? There's nothing to eat.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 04:07:24 PM »
Big greasy food is what they eat.... scary...

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 06:08:34 PM »
veri,

If you are in DC or any other big or medium city, you should be able to find food from all over the world.  I'd be shocked out of my wits if there is no Thai, Vietnamese, Sushi or any other cuisine in DC.  Arguably the diplomatic capital.

And if you like greasy, forget McDonalds.  Try Five Guys.

You should google or use yelp for more specific things.  A website that you might find handy http://www.city-data.com/forum/washington-dc/.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 06:24:08 PM »
Thanks Termy.

No there isn't asian cuisine except Indian. There could be one or two somewhere but not where I am - couple blocks from the white house. There's no asians around here... lots of African Americans. .. that might be why. I've walked for hours around here and didn't find a single sushi place, vietnamese or thai. Really, there's nothing to eat.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 06:33:45 PM »
I think DC grows on you though. Despite being boring, dry, and cold, it's the kind of city that suits my personality. You have poverty, power, beauty (museum, galleries) all squished in one city.

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 06:41:46 PM »
I think DC grows on you though. Despite being boring, dry, and cold, it's the kind of city that suits my personality. You have poverty, power, beauty (museum, galleries) all squished in one city.
Hehehe...it becomes interesting once you acculturate.  There should be an Asia 54 restaurant near Pennsylvania and 23rd street just from a random yelp search.  It's Vietnamese and Sushi. 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 07:44:03 PM »
Thanks Termy, I'll check it out today.

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 07:52:34 PM »
Thanks Termy, I'll check it out today.
If I am not wrong, there is also a chinatown in the area. 

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 08:13:26 PM »
There is, but I don't eat Chinese food because it's too oily, MSG laden and not tasty. My favourite is vietnamese cuisine like the following:

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 01:03:15 AM »
Termy, I went to Five Guys.. takes me 3 days to finish a burger here... everything is jumbo size...

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 03:40:33 AM »
Wow.  I don't think I have been to one of those.  I might have eaten something from there though.  You are not going to maintain or lose weight eating over there  :)

When you get a chance try the Swahili Village out in the north-east suburbs, Beltville, I believe.  Independent would recommend it.

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 04:54:28 AM »
As you can see from the pic, the place attracted shady fellas. I'll check the Swahili place in due time. Thanks.

At times I find myself belting out in Swahili. So many African fellas it's hard to contain my inner Kenya. At times I forget it's DC not Kenia. .

Offline Reticent Solipsist

• Superstar
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 10:27:21 AM »

Chipotle might suit your palate perhaps? It's healthful and my son, who is a health freak, probaly eats there seven times a week.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 10:42:01 AM »
Thx. I'm in San Fran right now and there's plenty of healthy food here. There's lots of veggie, vegan, asian eateries here. However, I'm back in DC the following week but may settle on the Virginia side, which I noticed has more food.