Author Topic: A study reveals that vegetarians have fewer, less-healthy sperm than meat-eaters  (Read 4402 times)

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
http://rt.com/news/197896-vegetarians-sperm-quality-research/

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
That means they must try harder to conceive children.  It would appear to be some sort of trade-off.  The meat-eater needs strong sperm because he wont be around long.  The vegan gets to enjoy more sex without frequent unwanted pregnancies.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Termy.. seriously?  :D

I bet you that study is rubbish.

Offline Olekoima

• Mega superstar
Interesting, but why are the sample populations so un-equal. Why the bias. This renders the result doubtful.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Misclassification bias. I suspect they began with somewhat equal sample sizes then participants went on meat, so they dumped them in the meat group not to underpower the study. You see trials (if this is a trial, haven't read the article) need to pre-register with a pre-determined consent process. Common sin is dumping treatment groups (vegetarian) into controls (meat and vegie). Technically meat people don't have a meat only diet. So there's a confounder from onset. Vegie only diet peeps tend to have pre-existing disorders like cancer and other nutrition issues if they don't take adequate supplements. This is perhaps more a study on supplement behaviour among vegetarians. But I guess that's not hot like meat vs vegie.

Offline Olekoima

• Mega superstar
Misclassification bias. I suspect they began with somewhat equal sample sizes then participants went on meat, so they dumped them in the meat group not to underpower the study. You see trials (if this is a trial, haven't read the article) need to pre-register with a pre-determined consent process. Common sin is dumping treatment groups (vegetarian) into controls (meat and vegie). Technically meat people don't have a meat only diet. So there's a confounder from onset. Vegie only diet peeps tend to have pre-existing disorders like cancer and other nutrition issues if they don't take adequate supplements. This is perhaps more a study on supplement behaviour among vegetarians. But I guess that's not hot like meat vs vegie.

In that case then this fails to be a research. Total waste of time and energy.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
No research is "perfect" they all have imperfections. It's a matter of summing up their imperfections and looking for a trend. If this research was replicated and I'm sure there's a handful like it. You weigh them relative to each other and if it's way off then yes, it would be considered a total waste of time and energy.

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
The study is may be funded by mc donalds and other human fattening corporations. MC nuggets and mc shit sales have been dropping down because of increased veg population.

Offline Kichwambaya

• Regular
Thats funny.  I was thinking about who funded them. I thought about the meat industry doing the funding but the McD angle is hilarious.  Most men do not become vegetarians untill they are in their  forties and early fifties.  If they have not sired all their children at that time then they probably have more serious issues than low sperm count.

The study is may be funded by mc donalds and other human fattening corporations. MC nuggets and mc shit sales have been dropping down because of increased veg population.

Offline Kichwambaya

• Regular
imagine if indians were eating meat, they would be twice as many as they are now. China should ban meat eating instead of that one child per couple policy.  Family planners should also look into this and advice couples who do not want babies to cut down on the meat instead of those pills