Author Topic: If Uhuru-Badi can pull this - it will be huge step  (Read 2569 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
If Uhuru-Badi can pull this - it will be huge step
« on: November 11, 2020, 02:44:10 AM »
Forward - get the railway working - get BRT - ban Matatus from Nairobi CBD - and finally use the river and railway corridors for non-motorised transport.

I especially like the NMT along river corridors - all you need is to get 50 meters from both sides - and build walkways - with  parks. And have NYS man it - to avoid thugs taking over.

Most poor live along river corridors - and the NMT would be good send - but they need to move at least50 meters away from the river.

https://www.the-star.co.ke/counties/nairobi/2020-10-27-nairobi-commuter-rail-service-to-be-game-changer-in-public-transport/

Offline Fairandbalanced

• Enigma
Re: If Uhuru-Badi can pull this - it will be huge step
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 04:40:22 AM »
This guy Mbadi should be president, Kenya has visionary and able people only hobbled by politics. Uhuru needs to put some of this guys in charge and Kenya will be a totally different place in five years.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 10:35:12 AM »
Much of this is coming too late into Uhuru's tenure.
A BRT system for Nairobi is a long term project. The planning has to be first priority and will take years. The haphazard road construction like the Nairobi  Expressway from Westlands to JKIA will not help. In the past Uhuru and his aides have only undertaken projects to deepen their pockets and now it is too late to change tune.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 10:53:52 AM »
I think if they focus on BRT on radius around the city - they can do it - let the Matatu operates outside it - and once you get near Nairobi - you get into proper bus system. And for this to happen - they need to build really huge and modern bus/matatu terminus - where traffic inter-change happens seamlessly - not chaotic scenes of Muthurwa - but multi-story bus parks in westlands, South C, Langata, Ngara and Jogoo road - that are connected to well run bus system.

Nairobi generally was well planned by wazungus - they just need to stick to the plan - there is railway corridor in most of the city - that is just crying for proper railway and metro system.

A BRT system for Nairobi is a long term project. The planning has to be first priority and will take years. The haphazard road construction like the Nairobi  Expressway from Westlands to JKIA will not help. In the past Uhuru and his aides have only undertaken projects to deepen their pockets and now it is too late to change tune.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 01:13:22 PM »
Yes, Nairobi was well planned by mzungu and till the early 1970's people stuck to the plan and even upheld the road reserves. Come in one Arap Moi and things started to crumble under the hunger for any public land.
Btw, back those days we had a railway crossing through Eastlands like in Jericho and the now Umoja. The rails were later removed.

I think if they focus on BRT on radius around the city - they can do it - let the Matatu operates outside it - and once you get near Nairobi - you get into proper bus system. And for this to happen - they need to build really huge and modern bus/matatu terminus - where traffic inter-change happens seamlessly - not chaotic scenes of Muthurwa - but multi-story bus parks in westlands, South C, Langata, Ngara and Jogoo road - that are connected to well run bus system.

Nairobi generally was well planned by wazungus - they just need to stick to the plan - there is railway corridor in most of the city - that is just crying for proper railway and metro system.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 02:07:54 PM »
Yes, and they need to reclaim all of that; SGR can solve last mile issues; if they can rehabilitate industrial area and nairobi last rail network; the railways, ports and harbour can be integrated logisitics solution provider; you just hand over your container at the gate; and you don't have to worry about anything; just pay the money.
Yes, Nairobi was well planned by mzungu and till the early 1970's people stuck to the plan and even upheld the road reserves. Come in one Arap Moi and things started to crumble under the hunger for any public land.
Btw, back those days we had a railway crossing through Eastlands like in Jericho and the now Umoja. The rails were later removed.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 03:43:48 PM »
I have never understood the beef with matatus. Matatus are an organic solution which are not going anywhere. Michuki 14 year obsoleteness rule have left matatus standing. Traffic is only a problem for 2-3 hours in the morning and another 2-3 hours in the evening.  By 9 most 14 seater to most estates are struggling to fill up.

The numbers say this is not huge- 132,000 passengers per day. The fares are also ridiculous for those who use matatus; makes sense for my car people, most of whom see the car as a status symbol.

Nairobi was planned for a few thousands of mzungu not millions of Kenyans. These are apartheid planning by settlers meant for control - you have to be at the station by 7:30; 8:45 2:30; otherwise you have no means out of town to Kikuyu and such.

Insolvent KR cannot be running these contraptions 24-7!  My interactions here indicate you have experience running transport business - the day to day grind is crazy for one vehicle. Now take that to moving only half a million by kanjo by rail and millions by BRT.

I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 03:56:49 PM »
The Chinese, JICA, World Bank, AfDB had aligned their funding to Vision 2030. Uhuru and Ruto's key concern was to beat ICC which saw technocrats who had been sidelined during Kibaki years come back with corruption tender driven short term projects. I bet Uhuru and Ruto had planned for the budget to fund the ICC slush funds through all kind of project from Treasury, counties, CDF, parastatals, private sector- name it- the ongoing corruption purge seeks to clean up the mess with such BRT and commuter train being attempts to cover up the stinking wound as we keep with the debt treadmill.

I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 10:28:46 PM »
The chaos is the problem -  and it discourage public transport - like elsewhere in developed world. Yes they are profitable - but by cutting all sort of corners. Most people would be found dead on Matatu - or public transport - which is a shame - because elsewhere it's the default.

Some aspect of public transport cannot be completely left to private sector without regulations and formalization.

I have never understood the beef with matatus. Matatus are an organic solution which are not going anywhere. Michuki 14 year obsoleteness rule have left matatus standing. Traffic is only a problem for 2-3 hours in the morning and another 2-3 hours in the evening.  By 9 most 14 seater to most estates are struggling to fill up.

The numbers say this is not huge- 132,000 passengers per day. The fares are also ridiculous for those who use matatus; makes sense for my car people, most of whom see the car as a status symbol.

Nairobi was planned for a few thousands of mzungu not millions of Kenyans. These are apartheid planning by settlers meant for control - you have to be at the station by 7:30; 8:45 2:30; otherwise you have no means out of town to Kikuyu and such.

Insolvent KR cannot be running these contraptions 24-7!  My interactions here indicate you have experience running transport business - the day to day grind is crazy for one vehicle. Now take that to moving only half a million by kanjo by rail and millions by BRT.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 10:30:39 PM »
Of course the duo had no plan for Kenya and as they say "there is no honour among thieves". The pair had to fall out after some time. The two have enriched themselves, their families and buddies a tenthfold. Now they cannot even agree on who is more corrupt than the other.

The Chinese, JICA, World Bank, AfDB had aligned their funding to Vision 2030. Uhuru and Ruto's key concern was to beat ICC which saw technocrats who had been sidelined during Kibaki years come back with corruption tender driven short term projects. I bet Uhuru and Ruto had planned for the budget to fund the ICC slush funds through all kind of project from Treasury, counties, CDF, parastatals, private sector- name it- the ongoing corruption purge seeks to clean up the mess with such BRT and commuter train being attempts to cover up the stinking wound as we keep with the debt treadmill.

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 10:34:00 PM »
Right Pundit. If also KR can reclaim those Railways houses where Chinese are putting up multistory slumscrapers Nairobi would be good to go.
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 12:20:02 PM »
If they sustain this....they can kill matatu...and my car...as the main means of transport...and as it should be...the train...ought to be..the defacto means of transport in a city as big as Nairobi....they also really need to work on the railway stations....put up railway city with malls...eateries...and hotels...so it become a real city nerve center.

IFC/WB fu.cked us with RVR - a south african farmer - was given our railway concession - should be a crime against humanity - and we lost an opportunity to revive the railway during kibaki time.

From facebook...1hour trains...good start.. every30 mins would be ideal for Nairobi...and that would mean build more tracks on the rail lines.

Heading to town 6:30 am from Embakasi. Beautiful (y) *Edit - has air conditioning and it took us 20 minutes only to town. security is tight and doors are unlocked/locked by the staff using a security code at the door. also no entry without a mask (see mine in hand i just took a photo before other passengers arrived). It makes a trip to Embakasi every 1 hour and a staff says it will be running until 8pm. I has a capacity of 200 seated passengers. from 6:30, arrival is 6:50 am

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 01:07:17 PM »
Jubilee 1 was run by harebrained Mobutu as Uhuru was high on crack at SH. SGR was URP manifesto - digital (vs analog) was TNA. Both flopped until covid resuscitated laptop thing. I imagine most kids have tablets now for online. Development is happening in Jubilee 2

Lite-rail math is easy-peasy. Count the traffic jam man-hours say 4 hours per day for a 12 hour working day. Roughly 4/12 x Nairobi GDP

Of course the duo had no plan for Kenya and as they say "there is no honour among thieves". The pair had to fall out after some time. The two have enriched themselves, their families and buddies a tenthfold. Now they cannot even agree on who is more corrupt than the other.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527