Author Topic: Microsoft finally eclipses Apple market cap  (Read 6294 times)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Microsoft finally eclipses Apple market cap
« on: February 03, 2018, 12:46:00 PM »
I keep seeing conjectures about Alphabet/Google and Amazon catching up but don't see it happening. Apple at 820B; Alphabet 770B; Amazon 680B. Alphabet has no mass products to hit a "grand slam" and Amazon's too far with slim margins.

Apple Reports First Quarter Results

-Revenue and EPS Hit New All-Time Records

-Active Installed Base of Devices Reaches 1.3 Billion in January

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/02/apple-reports-first-quarter-results/?lipi=urn%3Ali%3Apage%3Ad_flagship3_feed%3B6pS7fI3rRCSS7LUTLULV%2BA%3D%3D

Apple, Amazon and Alphabet in race to $1 trillion market cap as tech titans post massive sales numbers
http://www.cityam.com/279934/apple-amazon-and-alphabet-race-1-trillion-market-cap-tech
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 01:00:41 PM by Nefertiti »
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Apple will hit $1T soon.. at 800B+ now
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 11:37:20 PM »
Crazy figures..

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 11:53:35 PM »
Crazy figures..

Yeah. On my part I believe Elon Musk will be the first individual trillionaire.

Windy, have picked up your flamethrower yet??

Elon Musk sells all 20,000 Boring Company 'flamethrowers'
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/01/elon-musk-sells-out-boring-company-flamethrowers-fire

I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 04:41:35 PM »
Crazy figures..

Yeah. On my part I believe Elon Musk will be the first individual trillionaire.

Windy, have picked up your flamethrower yet??

Elon Musk sells all 20,000 Boring Company 'flamethrowers'
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/01/elon-musk-sells-out-boring-company-flamethrowers-fire

I like some things Musk does.  Actually I only find his dreams of colonization of space fantasy.  The likeliest trillionaire IMO would Jeff Bezos types.  Or his Chinese analogue whose name I forget.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 07:52:09 AM »
Apple numbers are just mind boggling doing $230b annual revenue with 22% profit margin. Apple ecosystem is really huge which gives it an economic moat. Apple did $32b on services, that's ridiculous. Basically apple service revenue is almost equal to Facebook's. Its sad to think apple last quarter revenue is creator than kenya GDP, we need to do something.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 09:59:28 AM »
 8) It's what I keep saying. We need to think global. State sponsored airlifts? When Bob runs around pompously - because he runs "the biggest company in the region" - with $1B revenues - it disheartens. And this is an expatriate! Does working in the region make IQ drop :o

Apple numbers are just mind boggling doing $230b annual revenue with 22% profit margin. Apple ecosystem is really huge which gives it an economic moat. Apple did $32b on services, that's ridiculous. Basically apple service revenue is almost equal to Facebook's. Its sad to think apple last quarter revenue is creator than kenya GDP, we need to do something.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 10:56:40 AM »
Yeap we need to think globally - but first let's think regionally - our companies don't think beyond EAC - they don't think of expanding to Egypt or Nigeria or South Africa - and even abroad. The likes of Equity & Kenol-Kobil are the exceptions - with expansion all the way to Congo & Zambia.

Obviously for likes of Apple - once you conquer US - you've corned rougly 20-30% of the global market.We certainly screwed up with M-pesa when we allowed vodafone to own the license...that was kenya chance to led the globe in something outside althetics.

8) It's what I keep saying. We need to think global. State sponsored airlifts? When Bob runs around pompously - because he runs "the biggest company in the region" - with $1B revenues - it disheartens. And this is an expatriate! Does working in the region make IQ drop :o

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 11:55:58 AM »
We didn't blunder with M-pesa - MJ is a mzungu who played pivotal role - it's foolhardy to except him to favor Kenya.

There are many more opportunities we can use to grow and go global. Companies like Apple - the battle to corner the US was brutal and they barely made it. Actually they had to bring back Jobs whom they had pushed out over his crazy ambitions.

The first for me is global talent - if you have a company like Seven Seas or even Brookeside - hire global talent and ignore Atwoli small minds. Uhuru has the muscle to bring in Israeli expats - and take his company regional and global. Equity has an impressive talent pool - with quite a few Ivy Leagues - little surprise they have a clear vision. Safaricom has tried this with the MIT dude running their innovation lab - and the e-commerce guy from SA[?].  I hope they keep it up.

Yeap we need to think globally - but first let's think regionally - our companies don't think beyond EAC - they don't think of expanding to Egypt or Nigeria or South Africa - and even abroad. The likes of Equity & Kenol-Kobil are the exceptions - with expansion all the way to Congo & Zambia.

Obviously for likes of Apple - once you conquer US - you've corned rougly 20-30% of the global market.We certainly screwed up with M-pesa when we allowed vodafone to own the license...that was kenya chance to led the globe in something outside althetics.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 12:32:55 PM »
Yeap certainly help tapping foreign talent and also global financing - I am seeing lots of encouraging VC activities - but generally there is no need to rush and be crushed in global markets - when you haven't cornered the region. Africa alone is big market. We need to corner it. Our banks need to be in most of Africa countries. The same with other services companies...that will lay the "infrastructures" for expansions.
We didn't blunder with M-pesa - MJ is a mzungu who played pivotal role - it's foolhardy to except him to favor Kenya.

There are many more opportunities we can use to grow and go global. Companies like Apple - the battle to corner the US was brutal and they barely made it. Actually they had to bring back Jobs whom they had pushed out over his crazy ambitions.

The first for me is global talent - if you have a company like Seven Seas or even Brookeside - hire global talent and ignore Atwoli small minds. Uhuru has the muscle to bring in Israeli expats - and take his company regional and global. Equity has an impressive talent pool - with quite a few Ivy Leagues - little surprise they have a clear vision. Safaricom has tried this with the MIT dude running their innovation lab - and the e-commerce guy from SA[?].  I hope they keep it up.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 01:31:42 PM »
Robina,
Apple valuation is solid. No doubt. Google is shaky but good. Musk on the other hand is just sellin wind
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 01:55:35 PM »
Apple has 1. ecosystem of platforms and developers 2. mass market products
Google has 1. ecosystem 2. no mass products
Amazon has 1. no ecosystem 2. mass products

Therein lies Apple's strength. It's extremely tough to acquire these 2 levers. Apple and Google literally control the ecosystem via App Store and Play Store. Facebook and Amazon are burning serious cash trying to acquire them. Java & Android are native Google platforms - literally half the world uses Android gadgets. Same for Apple Swift & iOS. Millions of developers use Java and Swift to access the platforms. Amazon or Facebook have to beg to be allowed to run their products on those platforms which undermines their competitiveness.

Now, of course with time any new innovative players can emerge. The way internet TV has emerged as a new paradigm. This is how, Pastor vooke, I can tell Tesla will soon take over the auto industry - and then gain access to serious capital. Elon Musk is the most innovative man in the world presently - and also the best marketer. By 2020 he will have cornered 20% of the auto market. You're misguided by "reality" without counting the potential. Jobs was a legendary marketer who cornered the mobile handset market under Microsoft's and Google's noses. Elon is a rock star marketer who builds better things than handsets. Who else do you know that can sell branded hats and flamethrowers to grown men? If he was selling advance one-way tickets to Mars folks would happily buy. That's power.

Robina,
Apple valuation is solid. No doubt. Google is shaky but good. Musk on the other hand is just sellin wind

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 03:23:58 PM »
Apple is as nothing but fancy RIM - the canadian blackberry. Don't see it being there for long - the Iphone was their big-break. I see Google outlasting them all. Whoever controls the internet will control the world. Devices will eventually be eaten up by Chineses.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 04:29:02 PM »
Devices cannot be taken over by China - not the hitec variety which need constant innovation. Internet will actually be pulverized - like Netflix, Amazon, Facebook, etc have run away with videos, retail and display ads. Google is only a leader in search - which only companies pay for unlike devices. They don't even control data gathering.

These stats show that Apple is better at milking internet than Google.

Apple is as nothing but fancy RIM - the canadian blackberry. Don't see it being there for long - the Iphone was their big-break. I see Google outlasting them all. Whoever controls the internet will control the world. Devices will eventually be eaten up by Chineses.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: Microsoft finally eclipses Apple market cap
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2024, 01:32:39 PM »
I have always felt that Apple is overvalued and overrated at iPhone v15 with zero innovation. Principally the big revenues now come from M3 accelerator chip, services (App store, Apple TV, cloud), and milking iPhone and iPads - OLD SCHOOL stuff built by Jobs 15 years ago.  As Jobs used to say, Tim Cook is a LOGISTICS wizard which fit perfectly as COO - overseeing manufacturing, sales, etc globally. Supply chain. But innovation ngumu - dude has built nothing for years.

Microsoft on the other hand - still has Bill Gates behind the scenes. Satya Nadela is another Tim Cook who can sell you a bridge but the brain still Gates who is listed as Board Tech advisor. 👀

Microsoft under Gates goofed on mobile where they had DOA Lumina sijui Nokia. Then Steve Ballmer fumbled on cloud foolishly taking Oracle as the big competition as it had been in PC era. But they handily brought in Satya Nadela who has been rock-star cloud and gaming. Which are subscription services. In consumer electronics - gadgets - Microsoft still blown dust by Google, Apple, AWS.

Obviously next arena is AI - and here Nadela the bald-headed mhindi is visibly fumbling... lost ground to Google, Nvidia, AWS - but pulled a jiujitsu move by buying Activision Blizzard and ChatGPT.

So Microsoft has staying power of enterprise software Windows and Office on Azure - and now big in gaming and AI. Of course the Open AI crew should never have agreed the idiotic $10B for 50% controlling stake from Microsoft - cause duhh it was obvious AI was kicking all cylinders with Nvidia growing like mushrooms in Spring. Open AI should have gone for loans not stock sellout.

Apple is propped up by old hardware, services and the M3-nano chip they were almost too late to rollout. But they have new top-dollar hires building "Apple Car" - 20 years behind Tesla and BYD 😀😂

It about time they were beaten by Microsoft in market cap.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2024, 02:51:14 AM »
AI companies lose $190 billion in market cap after Alphabet and Microsoft report

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ai-companies-lose-190-billion-001522339.html

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2024, 03:35:40 AM »

Motley Fool bets on Nvidia, Amazon, Tesla

3 Artificial Intelligence (AI) Stocks You Should Buy and Keep Forever
Wed, January 31, 2024
https://www.fool.com/investing/2024/01/31/3-artificial-intelligence-ai-stocks-you-should-buy/?source=eptyholnk0000202&utm_source=yahoo-host-full&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=article

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2024, 04:00:49 AM »
I don't quite agree that Amazon is a big AI player. Unlike other Big Tech Amazon has no LLM either it's own or partnerships. Amazon has AI-ish products like Echo smart speakers. They also have Rekognition on AWS api. And drones and robotics for last-mile delivery and warehouse ops. But their acquisitions of iRobot and Anthropic have been blocked by regulators.

The partnership with Hugging Face is neither a controlling stake nor exclusive. Cause Google, etc also have HF stakes.

The biggest blow is failure to buy out Anthropic while Microsoft all but owns OpenAI.

I would put Microsoft above Amazon in the AI space: Amazon lags Microsoft, Google, X in access to data.

Wed, January 31, 2024
https://www.fool.com/investing/2024/01/31/3-artificial-intelligence-ai-stocks-you-should-buy/?source=eptyholnk0000202&utm_source=yahoo-host-full&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=article

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2024, 04:21:11 AM »
Motley is also off on Tesla AI. Optimus humanoid is meant to push the envelope on the assembly line ie Factory AI - which is a novel usecase.

Wed, January 31, 2024

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2024, 03:34:44 PM »
AI is another crypto. Still needs a decade to make it viable