Author Topic: Why can't Ruto government create EPZ for remote work.  (Read 222 times)

Offline RV Kirgit

• Enigma
Why can't Ruto government create EPZ for remote work.
« on: March 16, 2024, 05:38:33 AM »
As it is, EPZ is dominate by few Indians and foreigners evading tax.

When a few enterprising youth create few self employment like remote task, government arrive with KRA soldiers and demand tax. Remote task left and youth are unemployed.

Why can't government create epz for youth like remote task workers?

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: Why can't Ruto government create EPZ for remote work.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 11:25:16 AM »
In short waive digital tax? Nope.

I think remote, EPZ, MSME, startup, etc - should be based on how new the business is, or how much turnover or profit it mints.

For instance iHub is an incubator for startups - ie a EPZ for startups. Have a transparent tax code just like PAYE and corporate tax.

I don't think it's sensible to group Uber or AirBnB as startup, they are a mature loss-making businesses. But the Uber riders should pay tax according to the code for gig business. Churchill and Erick Omondi are gig economy. Codify it.

So: PAYE, corporate, startup, gig tax codes.

Most giggers cheat - such as online writers, researchers, crypto miners, software engineers, - are paid bitcoins or PayPal and evade tax. It is not exclusively mhindi fault if KRA is corrupt and incompetent.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 01:55:06 PM by Nefertiti »
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 05:56:00 PM »
@RV Kirgit: if I recall correctly, Zakayo waived digital content creators from the double 16% VAT. Churchill still pays 8% for his media empire. I imagine his pot belly is quite sizeable by now. Kaa ya Murkomen. 😎
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 03:48:37 PM »
As it is, EPZ is dominate by few Indians and foreigners evading tax.

When a few enterprising youth create few self employment like remote task, government arrive with KRA soldiers and demand tax. Remote task left and youth are unemployed.

Why can't government create epz for youth like remote task workers?

Great point.
Because nobody even thinks of such policy these days.
Still campaigning instead of policy making.