Author Topic: US investor dumps Safaricom  (Read 448 times)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
US investor dumps Safaricom
« on: March 04, 2024, 04:57:21 PM »
Top US investor sells 600m Safaricom shares in dividend protest
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/bd/corporate/companies/top-us-investor-sells-600m-safaricom-shares-in-dividend-protest--4544462
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
Re: US investor dumps Safaricom
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 05:40:56 PM »
WHoa.
Am sure there will be someone to pick it up.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 07:50:22 AM »
WHoa.

It is a bad sign... Safaricom has been in free fall for over a year. There is basically nothing exciting nor future-facing. The market cap is below the IPO level.

530B ksh or $3.5B ... IPO was $5B if I recall correctly.

I tried to analyze and fell asleep. Nothing good is in the works. Starlink is about to eat data AND voice business. Only M-Pesa ground game is bankable - the agency network - it has some staying power. But not for long.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 07:56:08 AM »
Equity market cap is 150B ksh or $1B... KCB is 68B ksh or $0.47B

Only 2 companies hit 1B usd at NSE.

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 07:36:36 PM »
WHoa.

It is a bad sign... Safaricom has been in free fall for over a year. There is basically nothing exciting nor future-facing. The market cap is below the IPO level.

I tried to analyze and fell asleep. Nothing good is in the works. Starlink is about to eat data AND voice business. Only M-Pesa ground game is bankable - the agency network - it has some staying power. But not for long.
Safaricom is looking more like a utility company. Mpesa lipa na Mpesa can be disrupted by a fintech company that can lay an app on top of pesalink. Pesalink is like plaid https://plaid.com/, connecting bank accounts.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 05:37:22 PM »
WHoa.

Safaricom is looking more like a utility company. Mpesa lipa na Mpesa can be disrupted by a fintech company that can lay an app on top of pesalink. Pesalink is like plaid https://plaid.com/, connecting bank accounts.

Safaricom analysis is easy like a Sunday morning.

2 products - calls & data, mobile pay.
50 engineers.
0 platforms.

With their cash muscle and brand they still have a window that is swiftly narrowing.  We used to discuss here with RV Pundit, about why Safaricom cannot build something past the unidirectional M-Pesa, it can only do so much.

They ought to have their Netflix, GMail, AWS by now. I mean just copy AWS or Facebook vertical integration with their own satellites, AI platform, XR hardware, etc.

They could even open a lab in Bangalore or London or Bay Area - nothing but lack of imagination stops them.

The worst part, is that you will find Tusker dwarf is rated highly and pampered with benefits - 👀👀👀 - for delivering nothing.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 11:11:59 AM »
Safaricom is attempting to style up. I see Machine Learning Engineer or scientist on their careers page. LinkedIn.

Of course, catch them dead building a satellite to stop Starlink eating their lunch. Or building hardware or any dongles.

[Attachment error]