Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
What are you watching?
« on: March 12, 2015, 09:05:54 AM »
What counts as a movie? A film around 90 minutes.

Movies to watch

1) Up in the Air ????
2) The Grand Budapest Hotel ?????
3) Taken 3 ??
4) Selma ????
5) Whiplash ????
6) Maze Runner

We fly a lot. I am hoping to watch all these flicks in less than two weeks(IFE). Fingers crossed
"Christianity is not a religion, but a personal relationship with Christ".

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 09:26:04 AM »
Looking foward to watch the Maze runner

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 04:07:18 AM »
I'd like to watch the maze runner. I haven't watched a movie in eons.

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 04:50:27 AM »
I'd like to watch the maze runner. I haven't watched a movie in eons.

Veri, please join us if you have time. We are flying out of Chicago to Seattle tommorow morning. Looking forward for Mount Rainier hike. I hope they don't play the maze runner tommorow, so you can come and watch the flick with us

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 06:57:50 PM »
Thanks RP.  :) I don't think I can make it to Seattle to Houston by tomorrow. But I'd love to join for another movie at a later time. Where you based?

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 03:57:34 AM »
Veri, I am based in Irvine, Carlifonia.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 11:42:06 AM »
Nice.  :)

I managed to watch quarter of a film on a very long flight most of which I slept. "The imitation game" I got to the bit where he meets this smart chic. Not a huge fan of movies. Get to the point this movie is too long and boring. Yawn. I watched all the movie trailers though. That's usually enough for me.

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 05:19:35 AM »
Veri, I watched whiplash on my way to Seattle from Chicago. The ending was simply incredible..

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 05:57:38 AM »
Looking foward to watch Kingsman on my flight to California tomorrow ...  I hope it's a good movie

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 01:50:14 PM »
My music teachers from the con (short for conservatorium) made me cry many times.. not too fond memories. Too painful to think I used to practice 3 hours to 20 hours a day since I was 4 to the age of 18 which amounted to nada. Got to uni bored, disenfranchised after reaching my glorious prodigious peak in music too soon. If I could do this life again I'd choose to be an artist.. a painter or sculptor.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 03:44:50 PM »
Taken 3 was a great disappointment. Liam Neeson has over-used his Rambo role. I know people can be tough but some of the brawls in it are too unrealistic.

The story is too thin. An ex wife visits and offers herself. The conscientious ex husband turns down the offer. The husband then visits and manages to dispatch a message on the rivals (Ex-Husband's phone) without the clever, wise and alert Ex-Black Ops soldier noticing!

He finds the woman murdered and the run begins.

It looks like a simple misunderstanding to clarify and focus on the real killers. In fact a few hours after his miraculous escape, he manages to retrieve video evidence of his innocence. The police, hot on his heels also discover the same exonerating evidence. The woman was abducted by a gang minutes before she died! So why does the hunt continue? Why does he remain a suspect? Why place a tail on the daughter? It looks like the director was stretching to get a story.

The final scene is so unrealistic that it annoys. The mastermind is "dramatically" unearthed. Then we get in to the usual cliche of the villain hunted by the hero and the usual fight to the death. Of course the female hostage is not left out! What a bore!

Movies to watch

1) Up in the Air ????
3) Taken 3 ??
4) Selma ????
5) Whiplash ????
6) Maze Runner

We fly a lot. I am hoping to watch all these flicks in less than two weeks(IFE). Fingers crossed
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 04:01:53 PM »
I also watched Whiplash. Being a Classical Music junkie I could not miss it.

For starters I hate it when people caricature classical music. So when the Conductor is made to act the prejudices that sorround conductors, I naturally recoil.

I was however impressed by the reenactment of the mistreatment that students of music in particular and art in general undergo. Be it in the hands of pushy parents or teachers intent on creating geniuses or the next Mozart. One can only admire the determination of the student to succeed. He makes changes in his life such as cutting off his girlfriend so that she does not "interfere" with his concentration. It is an example of the decisions people make in the belief that they will improve when in reality those actions only help to sink them. In this case the student gets rid of the one person keeping in touch with normalcy. He is now completely absorbed in the crazy world of the conductor who is ready to throw a chair at him for an offence that an ordinary ear would not detect!

When he forgets his drumsticks at a car rental and has to drive back at break-neck speed and crashes on the way back, it is with disbelief that he still gets out of the wreck, dazed and injured to go and perform. We know he won't make it and the ensuing brawl on stage before the audience seals his fate.

I find the ending only real in Hollywood: How the two would end up together ostensibly reconciled only for the sparks to fly at the end!

Movies to watch

1) Up in the Air ????
3) Taken 3 ??
4) Selma ????
5) Whiplash ????
6) Maze Runner

... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 02:18:24 PM »
Love it.  :D you should be a movie critic Omollo !

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 07:18:22 AM »
@ Omollo.

This movie totally blew me away. That last scene was simply incredible, but I might be wrong according to what you wrote. For those who haven't watched this movie .... Go and watch

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 12:03:58 PM »
Which one? I have commented on two
@ Omollo.

This movie totally blew me away. That last scene was simply incredible, but I might be wrong according to what you wrote. For those who haven't watched this movie .... Go and watch

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 11:56:32 AM »
I managed to watch The Maze Runner. I will probably write something longer later but for now I think I would award it 8 out ten. The surprise ending did it for me, though I have to say the promise for Maze Runner II and so on is pretty annoying. Why not create something comprehensive and not rather leave it wide open that you intend to pursue a sequel.

Can't write much without spoiling. I'd probably caution those with claustrophobia to steel themselves before they watch. The feeling on enclosure and limited freedom of movement is ever present from the beginning.

I did admire the hero for his singular determination. He is not willing to accept the status quo. I think Kichwa Mbaya would identify with him :D

As usual I have an eye for Hollywood cliches. In most Hollywood movies the hero (Man) makes an appearance and once he has established his cause most likely his dilemma is clearly set, the woman makes a dramatic entry. Henceforth she is the source of wisdom and becomes the thoughtful, sober guide and arbiter in all conflicts. You begin to wonder how the players ever managed to survived before her entry. If the setting is in Africa and it is a lonely white man, expect a white woman within the first ten to fifteen minutes of the movie.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 12:43:07 PM »
Great reviews.I need to get a good torrents and downloaded those movies.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 04:21:24 PM »
I managed to watch the first ten minutes of the maze runner and fell asleep. Too many guys and it had a "Lord of the flies" feel to it. I also watched the first five minutes of "Whiplash" and was immediately put off when the wazee came back in because he'd forgotten his jacket. What a prick ! Smelt too sadistic and emotional. Gladly switched the screen off to sleep. One of these days I'd like to watch a movie from start to finish.

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 09:00:29 PM »
I managed to watch The Maze Runner. I will probably write something longer later but for now I think I would award it 8 out ten. The surprise ending did it for me, though I have to say the promise for Maze Runner II and so on is pretty annoying. Why not create something comprehensive and not rather leave it wide open that you intend to pursue a sequel.

Can't write much without spoiling. I'd probably caution those with claustrophobia to steel themselves before they watch. The feeling on enclosure and limited freedom of movement is ever present from the beginning.

I did admire the hero for his singular determination. He is not willing to accept the status quo. I think Kichwa Mbaya would identify with him :D

As usual I have an eye for Hollywood cliches. In most Hollywood movies the hero (Man) makes an appearance and once he has established his cause most likely his dilemma is clearly set, the woman makes a dramatic entry. Henceforth she is the source of wisdom and becomes the thoughtful, sober guide and arbiter in all conflicts. You begin to wonder how the players ever managed to survived before her entry. If the setting is in Africa and it is a lonely white man, expect a white woman within the first ten to fifteen minutes of the movie.

Thanks Omollo. Whiplash

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »
Which one? I have commented on two
@ Omollo.

My bad Omollo, I meant whiplash. BTW, I play guitar