Author Topic: Economic survey on my random drive  (Read 1233 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Economic survey on my random drive
« on: May 18, 2023, 05:27:41 PM »
It's getting worse n worse...almost all small business have shutdown except for kinyozi, hair salons, food n bars
Bars struggling.

Offline patel

• Enigma
Re: Economic survey on my random drive
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 07:31:51 PM »
It will get worst before it gets better. Global recession in high gear. Next 2 -3 yrs most likely lost years unless Ukraine conflict is sorted out. US vs Ching Chong loading in 2025. No escape.

Offline lelewela

• Superstar
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 08:29:03 PM »
2023 will be good for Kenya if we have ni atock exchange crush in US

Offline sema

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 08:42:25 PM »
It's getting worse n worse...almost all small business have shutdown except for kinyozi, hair salons, food n bars
Bars struggling.

Is Ndii's plan not working or did uhuru just leave a big mess and is it just going to take time? This is dangerous for the country in terms of crime rates, alcoholism, domestic violence...this does not sound good.

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 09:27:06 PM »
Bars struggling.
Soon petrol will be ksh.200 and the ramifications  of that especially on inflation will decimate households and businesses. The Ksh. depreciation has accelerated by july it'll be at least 150. The government is tone deaf on cutting spending specifically discretionary spending( everything other than payrolls).
However this is also a very opportune time to innovate by lowering cost of goods and services by obviously increasing productivity.

Offline RV Heavy Hitter!

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2023, 09:48:53 PM »
2023 will be good for Kenya if we have ni atock exchange crush in US
Not gonna happen. I day trade $20K stocks daily up or down. A crash will be good on shorting (bottomline) but it won't help other countries.
The future belongs to those who have a quarter of the character and integrity of RV Heavy Hitter!

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2023, 09:56:15 PM »
Urban families have relocated to the villages since corona. Unga at 200 even the villages.

Before corona I had noted most pubs were running on empty.

Except for banks, quickmart, metroline and online women clothing things are squeezy.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2023, 10:51:57 PM »
Nairobi is like some shags..almost all business shutdown.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2023, 10:54:55 PM »
Someone will lie that Kenya has recovered to 2019
..2021 recovery was gutted by Ukraine Russia war of 2022..it over fro many small businesses

Offline Githunguri

• Enigma
  • Raila Odinga.President of the Republic of Kenya.
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2023, 03:29:13 AM »
What's the solution?

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2023, 07:59:27 AM »
What's the solution?
End of Ukraine Russia war for starters

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2023, 08:32:59 AM »
The global commodity prices have eased  https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/gsci . Kenya problem is local but was exacerbated by ukraine war. Government has to fix its fiscal problems before the private sector can recover. As it is predatory government that is trying to solve fiscal problems by confiscating taxes from private sector, it'll only get worse.

Offline yulemsee

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 02:57:30 PM »
No traffic on the roads, people can't afford to drive

Offline Githunguri

• Enigma
  • Raila Odinga.President of the Republic of Kenya.
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 03:19:36 PM »
What's the solution?

How will it impact?

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2023, 04:32:07 PM »
What's the solution?

How will it impact?
it will reduce inflation in western world..Feds will cut rates..money will flow to poor global south

Offline sema

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2023, 06:09:52 PM »
Kenya's problem is not Ukraine.  It's economic problems did not start because of Ukraine.  The problem is structural.  It's internal.

Too much corruption, lawlessness, inefficiencies, too much government, taxes too high....what business can operate productively in that environment???

As Patel said, kenya has been in a depression since 1963.  There's a problem in the whole of sub-saharan Africa. They do not have a culture of production. They make nothing. How can you become a richer country if you make nothing and then add on the lawlessness, corruption, taxes and too much government.

Africans need a miracle.  There's something fundamentally wrong with their culture.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2023, 08:24:46 PM »
The only upside post covid most people are coping by going back to rural areas rather than resorting to tough urban life..also with lots of wfh I am seeing trend of people going back rural..where at least many can resort to farming as their second hassle

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2023, 08:26:56 PM »
Counties n covid n tech could be permanently reversing urbanisation or styming it..it help in Kenya rural areas have almost everything..including fiber,electricity water. Kenya might never urbanize again...if Ruto fix water n fiber n electricity...and companies allow more n more remote work..schools

Offline sema

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2023, 08:49:15 PM »
At least if you have rural land you can farm and avoid starvation, but what happens to all those apartments they've been building in Nairobi? they must be empty.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2023, 09:54:47 PM »
Kenya's problem is not Ukraine.  It's economic problems did not start because of Ukraine.  The problem is structural.  It's internal.

Too much corruption, lawlessness, inefficiencies, too much government, taxes too high....what business can operate productively in that environment???

As Patel said, kenya has been in a depression since 1963.  There's a problem in the whole of sub-saharan Africa. They do not have a culture of production. They make nothing. How can you become a richer country if you make nothing and then add on the lawlessness, corruption, taxes and too much government.

Africans need a miracle.  There's something fundamentally wrong with their culture.

There has to be a change in culture. Focus on policy changes that creates jobs and keep the economy moving.
Hiring people who know nothing about policy doesnt inspire confidence.