Author Topic: July was hot..the future will be rocky by 2040 it will really bleak  (Read 16531 times)

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma

I think this is the reset that will put human population to a reset of about 2 billion

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: July was hot..the future will be rocky by 2040 it will really bleak
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 03:28:31 PM »
It's happening, but I think it's like boiling a frog for us.  It's gradual, so we are just going about our business like it's not happening.  Until we start getting tornadoes in Alaska, extrreme flooding during high tides etc.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 02:15:02 AM »
I have more faith in humanity. I reckon we have the technology to reverse climate change. It happened once before with fridges which were causing a literal hole in the ozone layer.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 05:06:14 PM »
Iceland just held a state funeral for a lost glacier. It's only boiling a frog for the anti-science Right. Environmentalists and extreme lefties have been stalking the G7, G20, etc to press for action since the turn of the century. Coal and nuclear plants are being shuttered in the EU and most of the West. Even China has joined the fray. I think once EVs and clean energy are fully adopted in the developed and emerging markets this will be recovered over a period.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Ole

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 05:25:45 PM »
Its been the coldest month here in Narok County :) :)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 05:46:50 PM »
I am not convinced with global warming thing. I guess I need to read more about this. The science of this.

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 07:45:12 PM »
Iceland just held a state funeral for a lost glacier. It's only boiling a frog for the anti-science Right. Environmentalists and extreme lefties have been stalking the G7, G20, etc to press for action since the turn of the century. Coal and nuclear plants are being shuttered in the EU and most of the West. Even China has joined the fray. I think once EVs and clean energy are fully adopted in the developed and emerging markets this will be recovered over a period.

That's true.  But there is also an element of adjustment, because "these changes are slow".   In some cases, folks experience unusually cold weather.  In others, they get more "pleasant days" from the cold.  There is a psychological inertia this can cause with regards to the urgency.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 08:34:17 PM »
Look at material actions @bitmask. Apart from the one-off nut Mr Orange, the industrial powerhouses China, Germany, South Korea and Japan have been aggressively going green. Japan is the pioneer after the nuclear disasters in the quakes. Even France and most of EU is phasing out nuclear. India, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Vietnam and such middle tiers are not big manufacturers but are also significantly green. Aussies are the only westerners stuck in coal - thanks to the Trump-esque "Liberal" Nationals - but they are not a big polluter either. The real 'inertia' is the natural hangover from earlier days - 70 to 90s - when the Chinese rip-frogged the industrial estate. Course-adjusting nature ain't easier. Mortals just need a law and they are back in shape.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 09:09:21 PM »
Look at material actions @bitmask. Apart from the one-off nut Mr Orange, the industrial powerhouses China, Germany, South Korea and Japan have been aggressively going green. Japan is the pioneer after the nuclear disasters in the quakes. Even France and most of EU is phasing out nuclear. India, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Vietnam and such middle tiers are not big manufacturers but are also significantly green. Aussies are the only westerners stuck in coal - thanks to the Trump-esque "Liberal" Nationals - but they are not a big polluter either. The real 'inertia' is the natural hangover from earlier days - 70 to 90s - when the Chinese rip-frogged the industrial estate. Course-adjusting nature ain't easier. Mortals just need a law and they are back in shape.

I agree most of the West(even China) seems to be in touch with this reality.  Because they do take science seriously.  The US on the other hand is held back by its conservatives.  Any progress made by Democrats is usually immediately reversed by their Republican replacement.  It seems like a losing battle in the long run, because climate change is waiting for no one.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 04:36:42 AM »

I agree most of the West(even China) seems to be in touch with this reality.  Because they do take science seriously.  The US on the other hand is held back by its conservatives.  Any progress made by Democrats is usually immediately reversed by their Republican replacement.  It seems like a losing battle in the long run, because climate change is waiting for no one.

You are right. Still I wager the world can outweigh the US. We are not the biggest emitter but significant. The US is not the manufacturing powerhouse it once was. Like shaling that has suffered lack of new technology, coal and nuclear will fall behind as most of the tech industry boycotts innovating for them. Green energy cost has plummeted dramatically in a few decades - fossils plateaeued in 1970 - new energy will outstrip the old. The latter will face a natural death. Call me optimist.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 12:08:27 PM »
I don't think it's because nations don't believe in climate change, it's because of war. If a country went green they will have no trucks no transport no food and people will starve. Without coal Australia will go broke since its the second largest exporter of coal in the world. But main reason is because those war planes, war ships, subs etc. can't protect the geopolitical peace without fuel. Fuel is how the world works today. Climate change is tethered to geopolitical change and its a luxury school kids can scream about but at the end of the day, without fuel, urban cities can't function, not yet anyway...

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 12:15:21 PM »
July 2019 being the hottest month is no big news. May 2019 was the 2nd wettest month in US history and nobody is panicking. Peak weather records do not necessarily mean the end of the world as long as we're within certain limits. The problem is when the pope, UN or some teenage tree huggers set their own limits and want us to join them in committing suicide.
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 01:13:09 PM »
That's bad but not new. If you go to some universities they've permanently locked the windows so students can't commit suicide by jumping out the window. This was what I was told by campus security when I complained about it. I thought they were joking but 2 weeks ago a student did manage to crack open a window jump out and died on the spot. Same building where I take my law classes.

Its definitely a crisis. I don't know how these young people can make a solid living these days. I'm incredibly lucky to have a tenured position and I'm well looked after not that I need the money given my 4 digit bitcoins but I witness daily the struggles young, casual and contract workers go through. It's a tough world.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 05:28:07 AM »
I don't think it's because nations don't believe in climate change, it's because of war. If a country went green they will have no trucks no transport no food and people will starve. Without coal Australia will go broke since its the second largest exporter of coal in the world. But main reason is because those war planes, war ships, subs etc. can't protect the geopolitical peace without fuel. Fuel is how the world works today. Climate change is tethered to geopolitical change and its a luxury school kids can scream about but at the end of the day, without fuel, urban cities can't function, not yet anyway...

The peak oil theory explains this well. Oil is the most single important energy source in modern world. Without it the economiv, social and political structure of modern civilization will be undone. Just bring about 500 millions asians into middle income is literary boiling the ocean. This problem will be solved by total reset of current civilization. It will be like the great collapse of civilizations of years back like Egypt.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 05:30:33 AM »
These hurricanes will just decimate these islands. When a big one land on Florida and may be new york properly the frogs will jumb out of water ..it is getting warm in the pot. It is freaking so humid that a.c. has to be running constantly

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 06:20:08 AM »
@KenyanPlato the OPEC's will be in trouble as everyone goes green ink a generation. Russia and the Saudi economies will tank seriously. Only the Qataris have been investing big in western companies for decades will beat this. Qatar has stakes in Google, SpaceX, SoftBank and many big western companies. The Saudis have been living from hand to mouth. The EU, China, and most industrial economies have big green mandates by 2025 or such. Xi has ordered all cabs to go green - EVs no less - in major cities by 2022. EU will ban gas vehicles from 2025 or 2030 - I read somewhere. Canada, the Nordics, South Korea the same, Only the US and Aussies are behind the curve. If the Bern or Liz Warren beats Trump we are going green big-time. Obama had green subsidies - Warren would probably outrightly ban gasoline.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 06:41:56 AM »
@KenyanPlato the OPEC's will be in trouble as everyone goes green ink a generation. Russia and the Saudi economies will tank seriously. Only the Qataris have been investing big in western companies for decades will beat this. Qatar has stakes in Google, SpaceX, SoftBank and many big western companies. The Saudis have been living from hand to mouth. The EU, China, and most industrial economies have big green mandates by 2025 or such. Xi has ordered all cabs to go green - EVs no less - in major cities by 2022. EU will ban gas vehicles from 2025 or 2030 - I read somewhere. Canada, the Nordics, South Korea the same, Only the US and Aussies are behind the curve. If the Bern or Liz Warren beats Trump we are going green big-time. Obama had green subsidies - Warren would probably outrightly ban gasoline.

A highly skeptical. Can you show me number that show that oil in particular..every 200 years or so there is always a discovery of some type of energy source ..there is nothing cheap and efficient as oil in terms of return on energy.....warren thinks she will be baking cookies and offering welfare..nope she will be running the biggest empire ever created by man...due to boom and rapid bursts no g9vernemnf has luxury of taking risks with solving big problems..obama with his solars and ethanol had to walk a tight rope ..mursik is still building his toys ..qt least he is off social media.. The dragon is slowing down leaving millions of Chinese is a capitalistic induced daze..right the game of cop is personal debt to prop the consumer and hopefully the gullible Chinese will mop up excess real estate. Winnipe poo is using the strong stick coz he is out of carrots..

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 11:09:39 PM »
A highly skeptical. Can you show me number that show that oil in particular..every 200 years or so there is always a discovery of some type of energy source ..there is nothing cheap and efficient as oil in terms of return on energy.....warren thinks she will be baking cookies and offering welfare..nope she will be running the biggest empire ever created by man...due to boom and rapid bursts no g9vernemnf has luxury of taking risks with solving big problems..obama with his solars and ethanol had to walk a tight rope ..mursik is still building his toys ..qt least he is off social media.. The dragon is slowing down leaving millions of Chinese is a capitalistic induced daze..right the game of cop is personal debt to prop the consumer and hopefully the gullible Chinese will mop up excess real estate. Winnipe poo is using the strong stick coz he is out of carrots..

What numbers do you demand? Wind and solar unit cost has plummeted over the decades. It's now close to oil. The EU, Canada, Nordics, South Korea, Japan - say G18 minus the US and Aussie - have legal mandates for winding up combustion engine. Japan, Germany and China are leading. Japan shuttered her nuclear reactors due to catastrophe from quakes. China suffered health risk from smog and has massive green solar- and windfarms. There is a Xi decree outlawing gas taxis in cities from 2022. Germany has shuttered her nuclear and coal plants - almost complete - the auto industry has been complaining about EU green timelines.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 01:27:36 AM »

What numbers do you demand? Wind and solar unit cost has plummeted over the decades. It's now close to oil. The EU, Canada, Nordics, South Korea, Japan - say G18 minus the US and Aussie - have legal mandates for winding up combustion engine. Japan, Germany and China are leading. Japan shuttered her nuclear reactors due to catastrophe from quakes. China suffered health risk from smog and has massive green solar- and windfarms. There is a Xi decree outlawing gas taxis in cities from 2022. Germany has shuttered her nuclear and coal plants - almost complete - the auto industry has been complaining about EU green timelines.

So when do you expect "green energy" to replace oil? Which year? Xi is the master of saving face. In China you will find trash cans on streets or residential areas labeled recycle but in them is trash. China is still using coal at uborecedent level. The only reason i suspect oil prices are lower is because world economy has slowed  down not having fully  recovered from the financial meltdown. Green energy is just a substitute..it will only work for the economy onky when oil is the backbone. Nuclear energy is the most green energy but it have had a bad reputation and everyone is afraid being stuck with nuclear waste in their backyard.

Look at the whole south east asia it a race to be America. Everyone one is aiming for that picket fence and good midro crass life. To get it for 6 billion people we will be all dead

Anyway replacement of oil won't be easy without huge sacrifices and no one now is willing to make these sacrificed

Even Nairobi will be chocked to death in smog in years to come as miros try to manufacture their way out of poverty

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 04:50:07 AM »
Robish
Here is a good example of China saving face philosphia ya nyayo na upendo..ati China is going green ..yes they invented the gas mask dystopia lifestyle. I have learnt a lot about China by talking to some of the most honest intelligent Chinese living in states and now i am into watching video from expats immigrants who live in China..china is a really interesting place. A Dystopia of some sort but an enigma in its own ways..a modern empire in the furnace getting forged right and left by forces beyond anyone man's control...ccp is even perplexed at the monster they steering..

The Populace is totally bamboozled but sometimes there is a grimmer of awakening but it fades as soon as the tongs come up. XI is electing communist billboards and reintroducing "uncles" to mind trouble makers. Xi has no time for green e energy other than trying to figure how he devalue his currency to dump solar panels to the bourgeois of USA

Anyway watch ignore my rant just watch this video