Author Topic: Politics or culture of the cut  (Read 1597 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Politics or culture of the cut
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2022, 10:37:46 PM »
There are days that you kill a animal or a bird... that the days you discover birds fly and animals disappear... luckily we had ogiek who can smell animals..as for birds..there are guys who shoot them dead.. animals get confused by animals skin we wore

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2022, 10:40:06 PM »
Most of days is spent learning to forge weapons.. learning to make the best arrows..the marksmanship..that was most important..with competition..you have to shoot something so tiny .. handling weapons.. arrows and swords

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2022, 10:43:09 PM »
What important is after that time..you start respecting everyone...you become responsible.. only summoned to deal with big issues..but you smile less, laugh less and become reserved.. you're now a warrior.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2022, 10:47:00 PM »
The last ceremony is when you father gives you his name.. now you arap xyz.Your father approach you and say I give you my name..you're now son of xyz...from then you're entitled to be arap..we went to school dump our first two names and took on arap..Arap Ruto..son of kipruto..for example.

Offline sema

• Enigma
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2022, 05:31:16 AM »
Pundit: can you explain this to me: Kikuyu men are all "cut" but you will find them skirting their responsibilities and not paying child support or not providing for their families.  Luo men that are uncut are doing better on this front. So, the cut doesn't mean much if you end up with jobless drunkards that can't provide for their wives and kids

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2022, 07:13:29 AM »
A cut man is suppose to be responsible and to take charge of situations..not to do childish stuff.Yiu cannot for example play with kid toys.If your orphaned or parents absent you take charge and provide leadership.Your day begin by organizing kihiis on their responsibilities then you disappear to busaa then comeback to beat then it they messed up.You and your parents are now equal.Your parents forbidden to ever lay their hand on you.. You're are now equal to any man.if big man beat you..you get you gang and track him.Youre now called by your English name and Arap..never by kipsomething unless by elderly

Offline Dear Mami

• Enigma
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2022, 10:00:06 AM »
The most responsible family men in this world are Western (White) men and a good majority of them are not only uncut, they look at it as some primitive practice. Anyone who thinks there's a connection between how good a husband/father a man is and whether/not they're circumcised just needs to visit this country then go and live among Bazungu family men. Iyo tu.

Not saying it's a practice to throw away, or that it lacks cultural significance. But if someone allows themselves to get into magical thinking about this, they're tricking their own selves. What makes a good man is a combination of their nature and upbringing (nurture). Ladies, msidanganyike :D Don't let a good guy go for something this superficial.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2022, 10:05:30 AM »
The cut is very small part of kalenjin tradition..the big part is the training and more so the expectation that a n man or a woman should behave..both sexes were taken through..with men ushered to be warriors after six months to a year of training..with cut done on day .. what I know kalenjin men unlike say gusii change after the cut...it's life changing experience.The age of the cut has come down but previously it was supposed to be around  age of adulthood..to usher men to adulthood and women to marriage.The period of seclusion has reduced from a year to six months to 3 months to now even 3 weeks

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2022, 11:50:21 AM »
You are too confused. Even mzungu is forced by laws to take care of his children through those crazy laws.

Our grandfathers were deadbeat kapsaa. It was a woman's job to till the land, take care of the children. Kids were a form of labour too while the old geezers just drunk busaa or muratina or feasting on goats.

Our generation has done so well despite the confusion by Western media and kanisa nonsense. No appreciation at all despite having no compass to refer in all this confusion.

Pundit: can you explain this to me: Kikuyu men are all "cut" but you will find them skirting their responsibilities and not paying child support or not providing for their families.  Luo men that are uncut are doing better on this front. So, the cut doesn't mean much if you end up with jobless drunkards that can't provide for their wives and kids
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2022, 11:22:38 PM »
Is the history lesson meant to spin away Moses Kuria's vomit? Ruto or Ichung'was shoud call him out.

Moses Kuria lives in the Dark Ages
https://www.the-star.co.ke/opinion/leader/2022-03-21-moses-kuria-lives-in-the-dark-ages/
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline audacityofhope

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2022, 11:15:02 AM »
Is the history lesson meant to spin away Moses Kuria's vomit? Ruto or Ichung'was shoud call him out.

https://www.the-star.co.ke/opinion/leader/2022-03-21-moses-kuria-lives-in-the-dark-ages/
Robina,
The link you just posted this is the first paragraph:
Kenya is made up of more than 44 recognised communities with different traditions and practices that together form the nation's fabric...
Now if you ask @Pundit to list these 44 recognized communities (aka tribes), he will respond that of these 44, 30 of them are Luhya (17) and Kalenjin (11). See below what he posted:
You need to pass basic level of sound argumentation to warrant a response.

For example of 44 or 45 tribes - Luhya is counted and so are the almost 17 subtribes; Kalenjin 11 substribes; combined Kalenj+Luhya is almost 20 tribes. Mijikenda 9 tribes. We are at 30 tribes. The rest are the 14 - Luo, Abasuba, Somali, Kikuyu, Meru, Embu, Mbeere, Kamba...get the drift moron.

Of the 44 kenya tribes - 30 are sub tribes of Luhya, Kalenjin and Mijikenda. I personally choose my tribe as Kipsigis but can pick Kalenjin sometimes. You also pick Bukusu as tribe and Luhya sometimes.
https://nipate.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=0b52cc986e6ef95fc9725deb69170ab9&topic=11804.msg107516#msg107516
Some parents of members here should ask for a refund of the school fees they paid for their children.  :(

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2022, 11:19:26 AM »
Fala - is you tribe Bukusu or Luhya? Personally I have always listed my tribe as Kipsigis.

Robina,
The link you just posted this is the first paragraph:
Kenya is made up of more than 44 recognised communities with different traditions and practices that together form the nation's fabric...
Now if you ask @Pundit to list these 44 recognized communities (aka tribes), he will respond that of these 44, 30 of them are Luhya (17) and Kalenjin (11). See below what he posted:

https://nipate.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=0b52cc986e6ef95fc9725deb69170ab9&topic=11804.msg107516#msg107516