Author Topic: M-Pesa - Internal Controls  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
M-Pesa - Internal Controls
« on: January 09, 2017, 07:08:41 PM »
Someone help me understand. Why does this application allow money to be sent to wrong numbers if a customer keys the wrong number of the recipient. I would think simple thing like Matching the Mpesa number and Name of the registered recipient should stop this from happening. Why is there such poor internal control for an application that is handling billions of shs in transfers? or it is the usual case of acceptance for Mediocrity

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
Re: M-Pesa - Internal Controls
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 07:22:37 PM »
I thought they did because wave has rejected my remittance a few times with the error message that the # does not match the name.  Each time I double checked and found that they were right.
"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 07:31:33 PM »
WAVE has that control but Mpesa on the ground must not have it taht is why you hear a many cases of money in wrong accounts.. I am seeking clarification on this because whoever designed something like that should be shot.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 10:27:44 PM »
The legal framework for this innovation is very inadequate:

[pdf]http://www.gsma.com/mobilefordevelopment/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/NPSRegulationsLegalNoticeNo-2-109.pdf[/pdf]
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 01:32:03 PM »
You have about 20 second to stop transactions. This is good enough for me.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »
I think there should be a robust law covering various acts anti social behavior that has arisen with Mpesa / EMT (Electronic Money Transfer). I have in mind the following as most urgent:

1. Receiving and misappropriating funds you know or should know do not belong to you
2. Using EMT to commit fraud (Wire Fraud). The Kamiti Prison "You Have Won... Gangs"

I know some elements of what I write above are covered by other laws. However it is important to hold public hearings and come up with laws specific to EMT to stop our people from suffering.

There are agents who con illiterate persons. While in Narok I stopped somewhere in that town and sent my Maa bodyguard to fill up my phone and reduce cash in the car (Not a wise idea to have cash around Mai Mahiu - no offence intended). The man pretended to load the phone. I just happened to notice that he was pushing the phone in the guy's face so that he really could not read. I therefore ordered him back in to the shop until we had got the money on my phone. Needless to say its only the threat of police that got us our money.

We have people losing their cash when they lose sim cards and are too lazy to replace them or simply don't know they can get replacements and how.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 09:05:28 PM »
You have about 20 second to stop transactions. This is good enough for me.

20 seconds is just stupid.. Mpesa should guarantee customers that funds will be recovered or refunded.. it is just ridiculous such a small internal control is not in place..

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 09:08:03 PM »
wave is a small operation and has done what Safaricom cannot do.. This wave app is in all EA countries .. Kenya needs to stop embracing mediocrity in everything even small safeguards like this

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 09:35:14 PM »
wave is a small operation and has done what Safaricom cannot do.. This wave app is in all EA countries .. Kenya needs to stop embracing mediocrity in everything even small safeguards like this
In Tanzania, the moment you enter the number, the software recognizes the network to which the number belongs. Numbers that do not exist are promptly rejected. Clearly SC has a long way to go. I suspect part of the backwardness is based on the desire to hold on to its silly monopoly