Author Topic: Allan Namu part 2 documentary -The Fight For Water - Kenya's Cattle Wars  (Read 875 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Allan Namu part 2 documentary -The Fight For Water - Kenya's Cattle Wars
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 08:46:27 PM »
At 13th minute the Mzungu hydrologist nail it. British who came to kenya found what they called empty land but these were pasture landbank for drought; Tranzoia, Uasin Gishu, Nakuru, Laikipia and Nyandarua..nobody really settled there...but these were grazing ground for cattle during drought...nobody live there...and maasai, kalenjin and others met there during dry period...where cattle could be easily stolen and war could break up...

Now pastoralism doesnt make any more economic sense.

Pokot and Maasai need to transform their livelihood to agriculture. Their leaders should lead the way. Nomadic pastoralism is no longer possible in Kenya.

The titledeed and fencing of private property....has made land private...making nomadic pastoralism impossible

Next would be for gov to provide herders with skills for storing pasture in silage and hay - and provide them AI services

Offline Gikomba_Hawker

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 12:28:46 AM »
I'll have to watch this.
Don't steal. The Uhuruto Government hates competition.

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 01:47:33 AM »
Where is cucko Gulliman to stage another fake assassination attempt and blame it on ODM. I remember talking to a karen cowboy who was selling prime land at karen to buy a ranch in Nanyuki, he was so sure BATUK would protect them. I hope he gets out a live...

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 03:21:40 AM »
She is brave italian mafia - she is ready to die - than go back to Italy. Her husband and son already died in the theatre .The British karen cowboys can only hack a weekend with their 4 wd cars....once the guns sing...only the suicidal can survive. As more drought re-occur - as population increase - it's gonna get worse.

Maa, Turkana, Pokot and Samburu know the weakest point in Laikipia are the ranchers and their wildlife. They are not going back to their home counties - they will kill all wild animals - burn the lodges - and eventually the large conservancies will close shop - new owners will come and subdivide ranches into small plots - sell to gullible kenyans

Solution has to start with WATER - dam rivers in east and west of rift valley edges - and supply these areas with piped water. Then deal with pasture.

Where is cucko Gulliman to stage another fake assassination attempt and blame it on ODM. I remember talking to a karen cowboy who was selling prime land at karen to buy a ranch in Nanyuki, he was so sure BATUK would protect them. I hope he gets out a live...

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 07:48:44 PM »
Allan is a genius. They way he does is documentaries is pretty good. Covering all sides of the issue
 His narrative writing and commentary is very good too. Oadtroralists god bless, life is harsh for them.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 08:09:00 PM »
Absolutely. Problem with kenya journalist - they have low IQ and have to file a story everyday. Instead of doing one story very well...they go for quantity... a story every day.
Allan is a genius. They way he does is documentaries is pretty good. Covering all sides of the issue
 His narrative writing and commentary is very good too. Oadtroralists god bless, life is harsh for them.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 08:55:51 PM »
After watching this. I am now sympathetic to pastroralists. We need to find a way govt can help them. Boreholes etc. Modercai proposals seem like good and sensible way of resolving conflicts instead of this constant violence

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 08:57:47 PM »
Kikuyus in such places are very unlucky. They are just sitting ducks of the attackers

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 10:45:04 PM »
Pastoralism is not understood by many. Pastoralist life is daily struggle to find pasture and water for cattle. I am sure if you ask Githuguri farmers how dairy farming is stressfully - they can tell you it's no joke.

My own great grandfather story mirrors many in that documentary. My great grandfather who I am named after (this happenstance in our place) - emigrated from near Sondu in search of pasture to Borabu scheme - some 100kms. One of his step brother a young boy  then had gone to look for a job - in Mzungu farm - and he was told he was underage - Mzungu needed people with cattle - bulls to dig their farms - and graze their cattle on the edge of their farms as payment.

Off my great grandfather trekked 100kms down south - with his herds - together with his step brother - settle down - giving out the bulls for Mzungu like those in Laikipia - and then allowed to build his boma - and graze his cows on the edges. This was circa 1910-1920s.

My great grandfather brother left in northern direction - ended up in either Naivasha or Laikipia - but without cattle - to work as Mzungu farm hand - this time driving a tractor - he would be burnt in a house when he was infected with smallpox - the mzungu just burnt his hut with him inside. The wife came back to Kericho.

My grandfather was born in there - in Mzungu farm in Borabu - now Nyamira. Mzungu had created a 10 mile stripe from north of kipsigis to south- to stop kipsigis cattle rustlers from disturbing Gusii. They then invited British settlers to settle in that border and separate the savages.

After 30yrs - Mzungu in 1935s brought tractors - and told all the people in the farm - their bulls were no longer needed - only those working for mzungu as maid or plumbers - should remain - everyone else with their large herd of cattle should leave.

People left with thousands of cattle - and settled at edges of Mzungu - and now the struggle for pasture start again - and inevitable conflict with Maasai occurs.

Eventually Mzungu prov administrators had to resolve that conflict - this time - he did not create a 10 mile boudary - he create an half a mile - Nusu Maili - boundary seperating Bomet and Narok county - nobody was to cross the border. It was to be a no mans land...a tribal boundary.

Obviously Kipsigis with large herds of cattle and not enough pasture - found ways to ignore the border and move the cattle to Transmara.My great grandfather and others decide to find pasture in Maasai land - Transmara - conflict and war arise.

One day the herdsboy did not arrive with large cattle - he came and said Mzungu and Narok police had driven them away for tresspasing into Narok.

My great grandfather treks all the way to Narok - that like 200kms - and reach Narok to find his cows already sold - as fine - money deducted and he was given the remainder in coins.

He spend the next few weeks or months just looking at those coins - all he could mutter was all my cattle are now these coins ? - and he died shortly - with depression.

My grandfather and his family become poor or destitute - and have to go work for Mzungu for survival - and either raid for cattle in Gusii or borrow from friends and relatives - to rebuild the herd.

When Mzungu was leaving - there were offered 20 to 40 acres each to buy - he said that is a joke - no way he will buy soil or land.

Pastoralist believe LAND is from GOD - cannot be bought or sold - my grandfather and other could not understand how you can buy or own or fence land - for them land was free for all - you only own the cattle - the more cattle - the wealthier - land was useless - it's pasture for everyone - you only fence where you farm small kitchen garden - the rest is free for everyone cattle to roam freely.

This is pastoralist mindset - any fence they see - is really going against the pastoralist mindset. For them land is communal - belong to everyone - jasho yako is how you take good care of your cattle.

People live in small tiny plots near each other for company - but generally they left pasture land for everyone - and in drought thousands of cows would be driven to forests - like Mau or Mount Kenya. When the rain was back and grass regenerate - they are driven back. This was a man - to protect cows from rustlers- and boys job to herd the cow. The women would remain at home.

This same for pokots - they leave their families - and go for 3 months taking care of cows from being stolen - and looking for pasture. Truly nomadic people like Maasai or Somalis - move with entire families - and construct temporary structures - women do the construction - coz it not expected to last months - they are pitching camps - following pasture. The forests like Mau or Mt kenya were the last resort for drought - diarhoeaing on leaves or the little grass found there- that is where cows would be hidden for few months - if the drought was severe.

Now everywhere is fenced. Land is private. Forest are even worse.

For pastoralism to have any future - gov need to open up routes to forests - and allow cattle to stay there during dry months.

After watching this. I am now sympathetic to pastroralists. We need to find a way govt can help them. Boreholes etc. Modercai proposals seem like good and sensible way of resolving conflicts instead of this constant violence