Author Topic: We should have 50-50 gender parity  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
We should have 50-50 gender parity
« on: April 23, 2019, 09:21:18 PM »
Just have a mixed member proportional list by gender alternate - same as MCAs. For Executive every ticket must have both genders - such that D/PORK or D/Governor are male-female combo. I know some will cry "democracy" - which is a self-serving view - cause women are 52%.

Reduce the elective constituencies and wards by half to maintain the overall tally.

This should apply to public corporate boards, parastatals, college boards, etc. Women bring balanced perspective - issues like children, the disabled, LGBT, the elderly, etc - will be addressed better with women on board. The Uwezo Fund and other tokenism will never make headway.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: We should have 50-50 gender parity
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 09:28:15 PM »
I find the proportional list approach intriguing.  Though I am still fairly clueless how it works.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 09:28:35 PM »
We risk killing democracy by doing that.. people should be free to elect a DJ like Madagascar or a comedian like Ukraine.The people are supreme.Only Matiba could put it better.Let the people decide.In Bomet Joyce definitely winning again...his fourth elective term..so is Ngilu.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 09:28:55 PM »
For those men or women opposed to affirmative action and women rights - why do we have human rights to protect you from the brutal police, EJK, illegal detention, etc? Stretching the concept tells you women we can't hack it against the boys. How many top ladies do you know? Any of us sniffing the presidency? Imagine we have the Octogenaric Odinga - and the Kleptomaniac Ruto - and Kenya won't give the woman another look. All top politicians, CEOs, businesspeople, academics, scientists - are male dominated. It shows without quota it's a pipe dream that society will adapt and accept the woman.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 09:34:46 PM »
I find the proportional is approach intriguing.  Though I am still fairly clueless how it works.

Look at counties. You vote directly for PORK, MPs, etc - and the parties nominate from a pre-selected list to meet gender quota. What we must do is reduce the directly elected - and mandate the party MMPR - to nominate. The rules of the party lists should be in the katiba - public recruitment like CSs, parastatal jobs, etc - no monkey business or bedroom deals. No appointing Oburu or Beth Mugo or such. Transparent party lists - complete with KRA, HELB, EACC clearance.

MMPR is not far from parliamentary - cause you vote for the direct reps + party list.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 09:38:38 PM »
30% is fair...50% is altering the rule of majority.The basic tenet of democracy is 50% plus one. You force people to vote with 50% already gender predetermined and turn into Autogracy.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 09:40:01 PM »
We risk killing democracy by doing that.. people should be free to elect a DJ like Madagascar or a comedian like Ukraine.The people are supreme.Only Matiba could put it better.Let the people decide.In Bomet Joyce definitely winning again...his fourth elective term..so is Ngilu.

That's chauvinistic and self serving. Argue objectively as you do with economics. What "democracy" discriminates half the population? You cannot wish away the reality of tradition and patriarchy. Say me and you - when running for a corporate job we have equal footing. MERIT. But turn to the ballot - suddenly my chances against you plummet. Democracy is imperfect and is not a meritocracy. If you accept there is tribalism which deny say Odinga and favor drunkard Uhuru - then how can you deny sexism?

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 09:42:58 PM »

That's chauvinistic and self serving. Argue objectively as you do with economics. What "democracy" discriminates half the population? You cannot wish away the reality of tradition and patriarchy. Say me and you - when running for a corporate job we have equal footing. MERIT. But turn to the ballot - suddenly my chances against you plummet. Democracy is imperfect and is not a meritocracy. If you accept there is tribalism which deny say Odinga and favor drunkard Uhuru - then how can you deny sexism?
50-50 is outright outrageous in a democracy...what would be the point of voting dear...if already half the post are gender reserved.You must be crazy for real.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 09:51:27 PM »
30% is fair...50% is altering the rule of majority.The basic tenet of democracy is 50% plus one. You force people to vote with 50% already gender predetermined and turn into Autogracy.

Define "majority"? Women are the majority but are oppressed by tradition. Merit, democracy or majority are loaded terms. Throw away that dictionary. The apartheid mzungu would equally raise "merit" or "democracy" - say in SA - resisting furiously black empowerment and quotas. Ignoring the reality of apartheid history and its socioenomic impacts. SA mwafrika cannot just compete in business with boers - cause "merit" - the reality of apartheid history totally spins the concept on its head.

If you accept apartheid stumps dictionary "merit", if you accept tribalism tilts the scales, if you accept human rights, I dare you to table an objective arguement against gender parity and women rights.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 10:01:02 PM »

50-50 is outright outrageous in a democracy...what would be the point of voting dear...if already half the post are gender reserved.You must be crazy for real.

I'm not crazy. I am OBJECTIVE. You don't vote in CSs, KDF, MDs, Ambassadors - you delegate the job to Uhuru and MPs. So the concept of representation is not new. Delegated authority to the Party - same as delegating to PORK.

Let's start here: If you consider carefully the Apartheid scenario - of warped economics where boers control the wealth - you can stretch your bias around the chauvinist bend. How is partriarchy not a subtler, more devious apartheid? If Mwafrika cannot compete by standard merit against the Boer - why should the woman compete with the man on the same measure?

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 10:09:09 PM »

Karua, Ngilu, Laboso or Waiguru - are the exception that proves nothing. There is sexism - the exception validates the hypothesis - not disprove it. If we had merit - there would a big number of women in political office - just like we have in the corporate world. In most Africa women start a thousand yards behind the men. Simple reality.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 11:26:07 AM »
Robina - I am not against affirmative action to correct historical injustice against women but democracy is more sacroscant. We can demand 50% of all appointed officials and even civil services be of opposite gender - but leave democracy alone.

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 02:59:13 PM »
I find the proportional is approach intriguing.  Though I am still fairly clueless how it works.

Look at counties. You vote directly for PORK, MPs, etc - and the parties nominate from a pre-selected list to meet gender quota. What we must do is reduce the directly elected - and mandate the party MMPR - to nominate. The rules of the party lists should be in the katiba - public recruitment like CSs, parastatal jobs, etc - no monkey business or bedroom deals. No appointing Oburu or Beth Mugo or such. Transparent party lists - complete with KRA, HELB, EACC clearance.

MMPR is not far from parliamentary - cause you vote for the direct reps + party list.

Interesting.  Is it the same as this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party-list_proportional_representation?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 03:18:39 PM »
How is she winning given the high performance standards set by Isaac? Is she matching them or there is no one to take on her between now and 2022? Is the Kalenjin surprise of youthful leaders evaporating?

We risk killing democracy by doing that.. people should be free to elect a DJ like Madagascar or a comedian like Ukraine.The people are supreme.Only Matiba could put it better.Let the people decide. In Bomet Joyce definitely winning again...his fourth elective term..so is Ngilu.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 03:22:37 PM »
We need to agree on the meaning of democracy first. Elections, parties, affirmative action are all part of democracy - along with free press, human rights, civil society, judiciary, etc. Don't limit us to your Oxford dictionary version.

Robina - I am not against affirmative action to correct historical injustice against women but democracy is more sacroscant. We can demand 50% of all appointed officials and even civil services be of opposite gender - but leave democracy alone.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 03:27:10 PM »
Amazing how people will happily accept affirmative action on say apartheid or appointive roles. Provided they don't get to concede any real power - which is what 50-50 is. We can have men rights too to avoid any reverse discrimination - which is now the case in some western countries - father's rights, right of bachelors to adopt, etc. You can't tell us a global trend is somehow anathema to your wisdom. A right is not a privilege but a correction of imbalanced reality. Like the Patriarchy - which is Gender apartheid.

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 04:04:02 PM »
Amazing how people will happily accept affirmative action on say apartheid or appointive roles. Provided they don't get to concede any real power - which is what 50-50 is. We can have men rights too to avoid any reverse discrimination - which is now the case in some western countries - father's rights, right of bachelors to adopt, etc. You can't tell us a global trend is somehow anathema to your wisdom. A right is not a privilege but a correction of imbalanced reality. Like the Patriarchy - which is Gender apartheid.

For me, whatever scheme works for women I am okay with.  Women work harder than men as far as I can tell.  Especially in Africa.  The democracy experiment in Kenya has shown quite a few cracks.  It doesn't hurt to try new things.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 04:06:42 PM »

For me, whatever scheme works for women I am okay with.  Women work harder than men as far as I can tell.  Especially in Africa.  The democracy experiment in Kenya has shown quite a few cracks.  It doesn't hurt to try new things.

Indeed. Any reformed system will face resistance - like the Baba na Mama crew of the 80s - opposing democracy or freedom - in itself a form of equality. They rathered power remain in "stable" Nyayo & Kanu grisp - as they do now per the men. Conservatism is seldom right and ultimately lapses.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 04:08:44 PM »

Interesting.  Is it the same as this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party-list_proportional_representation?

Yes. Principally i don't prefer the First-past-the-post system. MMPR is a healthy formula - except for the chauvinistic, the conservative, the compromised or the ignorant.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 04:50:51 PM »
The heart of democracy is one man or woman one vote.That is foundation of any democracy. The tinkering should never alter the core and make a mockery of democracy by pre selected half the candidates.