Author Topic: Germany industrial powerhouse depend 40% on coal power  (Read 1387 times)

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
Germany industrial powerhouse depend 40% on coal power
« on: September 21, 2017, 03:34:18 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-21/how-merkel-s-green-energy-policy-has-fueled-demand-for-coal?

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: Germany industrial powerhouse depend 40% on coal power
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 06:33:33 PM »
The power problem has been cracked actually - by tech of course - with solar panels and hitec storage. Solves peak-off-peak problem which is a big deal. Now you have homes generating power.

Look what's happening in South Australia...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-07/what-is-tesla-big-sa-battery-and-how-will-it-work/8688992

California...
https://www.aiche.org/chenected/2017/02/teslas-new-battery-storage-farm-california-big-deal

Only the grid needs cracking... to have wireless power. Cause with that there will be no need for all kinds of plants causing global warming.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 06:37:08 PM »
Robina,

What is peak off peak?

Only the grid needs cracking... to have wireless power. Cause with that there will be no need for all kinds of plants causing global warming.

I have heard American cows add more than a fair share to global warming with flatulence.  How do you solve that?  We become vegetarians?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 07:37:13 PM »
Yeah coal will remain the base load for many years. Kenya should not listen to enviromentalist until we have real solution that can replace coal..both in reliability and affordability.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 10:29:38 PM »
Robina,

What is peak off peak?
Come on - normal peak-off-peak demand. At daytime all factories, machines, bulbs, etc are on - not so much at night. If all the plant does is pump gigawatts the supply is overwhelmed at peak and vice versa. On-plant storage solves this. There are solutions for home power storage too for solar houses. Basically power inefficiencies are being solved.

I have heard American cows add more than a fair share to global warming with flatulence.  How do you solve that?  We become vegetarians?
Living organisms have done this since eternity - it's vehicles, factories & plants that use gasoline, coal, nuclear, etc that are heating the earth.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 10:32:34 PM »
Yeah coal will remain the base load for many years. Kenya should not listen to enviromentalist until we have real solution that can replace coal..both in reliability and affordability.

Obviously Kenya and poor countries should use cheapest efficient source - unless EU or big countries can sponsor/reimburse us to go green. Even China bulked at claims of pollution until they made it big.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 01:27:12 AM »
South Australia goes green

The world's biggest battery in less than 100 days

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/elon-musk-tesla-worlds-biggest-battery/

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 02:24:27 AM »
I think solar is very cheap, coal is very expensive since you have to get rid of the waste.