Author Topic: The art of aging  (Read 11550 times)

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
The art of aging
« on: March 04, 2015, 08:02:06 AM »
http://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2015/02/20/spc-vital-signs-art-of-aging-a.cnn

Adventists in the Loma Linda area featured. What will Prof A.D Hominem say about that now?
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: The art of aging
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 05:46:50 PM »
Daily Bread,

Unfortunately I have not yet had a chance to view the clip.  Can you summarize what it says about aging gracefully? 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 05:18:03 PM »
Cool.  So the adventists in Loma Linda benefit from their beliefs right here on earth.  I have a notion that positive religiosity, not just adventism, does a number on quality of life.  It plugs a need for reassurance.  Which allows the native to worry less.

But looking at the world in general, it looks like the wealth of a community tends to be a better predictor for longevity.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 10:58:13 AM »
Cool.  So the adventists in Loma Linda benefit from their beliefs right here on earth.  I have a notion that positive religiosity, not just adventism, does a number on quality of life.  It plugs a need for reassurance.  Which allows the native to worry less.

But looking at the world in general, it looks like the wealth of a community tends to be a better predictor for longevity.

Sure, one could make that argument. Three models of longevity may be considered, one arising from the availability of medical services used to prolong the lives of users regardless of their lifestyle, and another arising from adherence to simple laws of nature. This is the Adventist (Biblical) way. The third is the resilience model adhered to by many in Africa where people live long lives despite the ravages of nature, abuse of their own bodies (alcoholism, warrior lifestyle, stress, suicidal tendencies etc in disregard of biblical principles of healthy living). It would appear that God is making from believers a spectacle to the world (I Cor 4:9).

9 For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men.
10 We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised.
11 Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace;
12 And labour, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it:
13 Being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day.

The chapter is even more interesting considering in context,

I Cor 4
1 Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.
2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.

In other words, the health of believers is a manifestation of God's grace that in the things the world despises as foolish and weak (like the plant-based diet advocated by Ellen G. White so often remarked by Prof A.D Hominem on this forum, for example) actually begets something.
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

Offline Ka-Bella

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 02:42:46 PM »
@Daily Bread,

I have heard from some adherents of Eastern religions and philosophies (Buddhism, the religions of India et al) as well as from their comparatively bland/shallow Western imitations (the new age) that something about feeding only and directly from plant-life is very good for the spiritual seeker. For Buddhism, I gather that this has more to do with empathy for sentient beings (which include animals) than health, and I suspect it is probably the same for the vegetarian Hindu faiths. I dislike meat but I do love me some fish and all manner of sea food. Don't mind chicken at all. Or milk. Do SDAs teach that it is only advisable or required to stick to Mrs White's vegetarian diet? Several of my family do not joke around with nyamchom, they destroy that thing in minutes like only a Gusii male can. They also keep the sabbath. Are they sinning or merely leading an unadvisable lifestyle? My mother once got rid of coffee, tea, chocolate and replaced it with soy. She quit eating sausages because she did not trust that they were all beef. Her issue was pork. That phase did not last long. But I have never witnessed a strictly no-meat phase, ever. Is this lifestyle considered optional?

Also, is vegetarianism really the biblical way? I only recall vegetarian diets twice: In Eden, where we presume it because God said to eat from all the trees except one. I'm not 100% sure that a meat-diet can be completely/strictly excluded, though. The other incident was the Daniel, Shadrack, Meshack, Abednego story about pork and meat offered to idols, made them stick to plants and water. The rest of the Bible seems to be full of meat, though, in celebration and religious observance and just everyday/ordinary meals. Certainly, the passover lamb was required to be eaten as part of the feast and we can be sure therefore, that our Lord ate some himself. Because of this, I am not sure that it is Biblical so much as ordinary wisdom (I don't agree with it entirely myself, and I know there are a good number of scientists who think we need some food products in our system). To me, it's like exercise. I think it's very wise to do. God never requires it of anyone anywhere in revelation, though. So while we might encourage it, we would be stretching the limits to claim that it is demanded by God or that a person cannot be a good Christian if he never hits the gym.

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 10:56:48 AM »
Do SDAs teach that it is only advisable or required to stick to Mrs White's vegetarian diet?

A vegetarian diet did not begin with Mrs White. Her writings are based on biblical principles. See what she writes in Ministry of Healing. It is unfortunate that many believers have a prejudice against Mrs White yet they can benefit from her insights. Indeed, I understand many non-Adventists highly value and practice what she says to the glory of God.

http://www.whiteestate.org/books/mh/mh24.html

Flesh as Food

The diet appointed man in the beginning did not include animal food. Not till after the Flood, when every green thing on the earth had been destroyed, did man receive permission to eat flesh.

In choosing man's food in Eden, the Lord showed what was the best diet; in the choice made for Israel He taught the same lesson. He brought the Israelites out of Egypt and undertook their training, that they might be a people for His own possession. Through them He desired to bless and teach the world. He provided them with the food best adapted for this purpose, not flesh, but manna, "the bread of heaven." It was only because of their discontent and their murmuring for the fleshpots of Egypt that animal food was granted them, and this only for a short time. Its use brought disease and death to thousands. Yet the restriction to a nonflesh diet was never heartily accepted. It continued to be the cause of discontent and murmuring, open or secret, and it was not made permanent.

Upon their settlement in Canaan, the Israelites were permitted the use of animal food, but under careful restrictions...

Several of my family do not joke around with nyamchom, they destroy that thing in minutes like only a Gusii male can. They also keep the sabbath. Are they sinning or merely leading an unadvisable lifestyle?My mother once got rid of coffee, tea, chocolate and replaced it with soy. She quit eating sausages because she did not trust that they were all beef. Her issue was pork. That phase did not last long. But I have never witnessed a strictly no-meat phase, ever. Is this lifestyle considered optional?

Considering that our lives are not our own, purchased at so heavy a price (Christ paid for it with His life), anything that destroys our health borders on violating the sixth commandment.

Also, is vegetarianism really the biblical way? I only recall vegetarian diets twice: In Eden, where we presume it because God said to eat from all the trees except one.

Based on contextual reading, vegetarianism is the biblical way. In Eden, in Daniel, in Isaiah we see vegetarianism emphasized.

I'm not 100% sure that a meat-diet can be completely/strictly excluded, though. The other incident was the Daniel, Shadrack, Meshack, Abednego story about pork and meat offered to idols, made them stick to plants and water. The rest of the Bible seems to be full of meat, though, in celebration and religious observance and just everyday/ordinary meals.

The eating of flesh in the feasts was ceremonial. The priests ate meat to demonstrate how the Messiah would take up our crosses on Himself. Eli's sons and Eli also got fat from eating meat sacrifices. Even then, it was under strict instructions of how to wash it, how to remove the fat and the blood, what animals could be eaten, how clean animals were fed etc. The results of flesh eating are obvious in the Bible and in hospitals today.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 07:57:29 AM »

You are running around in circles.
1. Was meat only eaten ceremonially?
2. Did Jesus eat meat?
3. Are there clear/vague instructions to shun meat in the scriptures?
Do SDAs teach that it is only advisable or required to stick to Mrs White's vegetarian diet?

A vegetarian diet did not begin with Mrs White. Her writings are based on biblical principles. See what she writes in Ministry of Healing. It is unfortunate that many believers have a prejudice against Mrs White yet they can benefit from her insights. Indeed, I understand many non-Adventists highly value and practice what she says to the glory of God.

http://www.whiteestate.org/books/mh/mh24.html

Flesh as Food

The diet appointed man in the beginning did not include animal food. Not till after the Flood, when every green thing on the earth had been destroyed, did man receive permission to eat flesh.

In choosing man's food in Eden, the Lord showed what was the best diet; in the choice made for Israel He taught the same lesson. He brought the Israelites out of Egypt and undertook their training, that they might be a people for His own possession. Through them He desired to bless and teach the world. He provided them with the food best adapted for this purpose, not flesh, but manna, "the bread of heaven." It was only because of their discontent and their murmuring for the fleshpots of Egypt that animal food was granted them, and this only for a short time. Its use brought disease and death to thousands. Yet the restriction to a nonflesh diet was never heartily accepted. It continued to be the cause of discontent and murmuring, open or secret, and it was not made permanent.

Upon their settlement in Canaan, the Israelites were permitted the use of animal food, but under careful restrictions...

Several of my family do not joke around with nyamchom, they destroy that thing in minutes like only a Gusii male can. They also keep the sabbath. Are they sinning or merely leading an unadvisable lifestyle?My mother once got rid of coffee, tea, chocolate and replaced it with soy. She quit eating sausages because she did not trust that they were all beef. Her issue was pork. That phase did not last long. But I have never witnessed a strictly no-meat phase, ever. Is this lifestyle considered optional?

Considering that our lives are not our own, purchased at so heavy a price (Christ paid for it with His life), anything that destroys our health borders on violating the sixth commandment.

Also, is vegetarianism really the biblical way? I only recall vegetarian diets twice: In Eden, where we presume it because God said to eat from all the trees except one.

Based on contextual reading, vegetarianism is the biblical way. In Eden, in Daniel, in Isaiah we see vegetarianism emphasized.

I'm not 100% sure that a meat-diet can be completely/strictly excluded, though. The other incident was the Daniel, Shadrack, Meshack, Abednego story about pork and meat offered to idols, made them stick to plants and water. The rest of the Bible seems to be full of meat, though, in celebration and religious observance and just everyday/ordinary meals.

The eating of flesh in the feasts was ceremonial. The priests ate meat to demonstrate how the Messiah would take up our crosses on Himself. Eli's sons and Eli also got fat from eating meat sacrifices. Even then, it was under strict instructions of how to wash it, how to remove the fat and the blood, what animals could be eaten, how clean animals were fed etc. The results of flesh eating are obvious in the Bible and in hospitals today.
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 08:14:41 AM »
Nuff Sed,
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Longevity is good intention but there is no proof Adventism is the key nor vegeterianism.
Besides, SDAs have zero monopoly of health living. My problem is when they tailor they longevity attempts around an illiterate fool and then spiritualize and cover up for her epic fails.

Sure, one could make that argument. Three models of longevity may be considered, one arising from the availability of medical services used to prolong the lives of users regardless of their lifestyle, and another arising from adherence to simple laws of nature. This is the Adventist (Biblical) way. The third is the resilience model adhered to by many in Africa where people live long lives despite the ravages of nature, abuse of their own bodies (alcoholism, warrior lifestyle, stress, suicidal tendencies etc in disregard of biblical principles of healthy living). It would appear that God is making from believers a spectacle to the world (I Cor 4:9).

9 For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men.
10 We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised.
11 Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace;
12 And labour, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it:
13 Being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day.

The chapter is even more interesting considering in context,

I Cor 4
1 Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.
2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.

In other words, the health of believers is a manifestation of God's grace that in the things the world despises as foolish and weak (like the plant-based diet advocated by Ellen G. White so often remarked by Prof A.D Hominem on this forum, for example) actually begets something.
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.