Author Topic: Just in: Putin at it again. Now wants Parliamentary system.  (Read 846 times)

Offline audacityofhope

• VIP
  • Enigma
Just in: Putin at it again. Now wants Parliamentary system.
« on: January 15, 2020, 06:42:54 PM »
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/putin-speech-state-union-russia-parliament-president-constitution-state-council-a9284276.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&amp=1#Echobox=1579084337

Meanwhile CNN is reporting:
JUST IN: The entire Russian government resigns (including Medvedev), clearing a way for President Vladimir Putin to enact reforms that would weaken his successor

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: Just in: Putin at it again. Now wants Parliamentary system.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 11:44:40 PM »
Yeah there is a long list of precedents.

1. EXEC PM is PORK. Lazy Uhuru would simply appoint Mutua or Joho DPM to do dirty job of shouting match with Ruto Kiongozi ya Upinzani. Putin of Russia, Erdogan of Turkey, Chandrika Kumaratunga of Sri Lanka, Vojislav Koštunica of Serbia. Loong list of precedents - presidents turned PM - even Raila was PM wants to wind as ceremonial PORK.

Nor will the devious equivalencying work. We are not in love with Kenyatta II but realize the folly of transforming the system without his cooperation.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 03:44:13 PM »
I think he short man has overstayed and he could be kicked out
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 04:36:56 PM »
I have read somewhere that he is reputed to be the richest man on earth.  The leadership of Russia has served him well.  He'd be an idiot not to want it to continue.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 07:30:27 PM »
He is strategic...started 4 yrs...unlike Raila and Orengo who imagine the constitution will be ammended in 6 months. Museveni ammended the 70yr rule 5-7yrs before he got there. That is being strategic. Now imagine trying to pull a putin with exactly two years to an election :)