Author Topic: Boris Johnson delivers Brexit deal  (Read 8938 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Boris Johnson delivers Brexit deal
« on: October 17, 2019, 01:09:22 PM »
Not sure nor do I really care what the little island of England got.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Boris Johnson delivers Brexit deal
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 02:34:16 PM »
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 03:00:55 PM »
That is the same agreement Teresa May had only this time the word Backstop is missing. :D :D :D
Let us see if Bojo will get it this time through parliament.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 03:04:14 PM »
Look like Northern Ireland will somewhat stay in EU with Ireland.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 03:25:55 PM »
On paper not, but in reality a big yes.
The border between Northern Ireland and the rest of Great Britain will be the Irish See.

Look like Northern Ireland will somewhat stay in EU with Ireland.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 05:08:15 PM »
Bojo is playing to the gallery. His Queen speech was a campaign manifesto. This deal will be rejected by parliament and the EU will reject an extension. There will be an election and the Tories will beat the Brexit Party. Labor and the wishy-washy Corbyn will be battered heavy by the Lib Dems. The clean majority Tories will ratify the same deal and that will be the end of it.

The biggest losers will be Labor and the DUP.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 02:36:13 AM »
Pundit your boy is in trouble. Brexit has been delayed by Westminster.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 06:29:33 PM »
The drama seems to go as expected. The Commons Speaker has scuttled the deal. Poland, Hungary, Italy or some other eurosceptic will veto extension. The UK will crash out of the EU on 31st.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 02:35:12 PM »
Seem they are headed to a crash out of EU followed by a general election. Corbyn last punchline is "Brexit will kill NHS" - without explaining why it works in Norway or Canada. Labor will be routed by Lib Dems.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 01:08:19 AM »
The EU extended Brexit by 3 months and the Coommons is off to a snap election on Dec 12th. Took 2/3 majority for that. Labor has been arm-twisted by Boris - I see them suffering a beating by Lib Dem.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 03:35:01 PM »
BoJo squaring it out  with obosishen. Seem campaigns have began on the floor. This what we need four national CEO - not hiding behind Matiang'i or Kibicho. Parliamentary any day.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 11:17:34 AM »
Looking up for Boris and his Tories - bleak for Labor

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 11:18:48 AM »

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 06:58:59 PM »
British politics have become really confusing.  They seem even messier than the US.  This Boris dude just wants to forge ahead without care for consequences.  Nationalism(as do all forms of national pride) does require a healthy dose of stupidity.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 09:49:07 PM »
British politics have become really confusing.  They seem even messier than the US.  This Boris dude just wants to forge ahead without care for consequences.  Nationalism(as do all forms of national pride) does require a healthy dose of stupidity.

That's one way of looking at the matter. Brexit is a reshuffle of the deck. A record 21 Tories were de-whipped - kicked out of the party - by Boris. After they voted to delay Brexit.

My own point of view is - Brexit is economically good in the long run, even if near-term it's bumpy. Too many freeloaders in the East. Sociopolitically the UK will swing to the right with very deep, gashing divisions. There is a bucketful of dirty linen swept under the EU and Brexit rug by successive governments.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 05:57:35 AM »

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 03:56:42 PM »

That's one way of looking at the matter. Brexit is a reshuffle of the deck. A record 21 Tories were de-whipped - kicked out of the party - by Boris. After they voted to delay Brexit.

My own point of view is - Brexit is economically good in the long run, even if near-term it's bumpy. Too many freeloaders in the East. Sociopolitically the UK will swing to the right with very deep, gashing divisions. There is a bucketful of dirty linen swept under the EU and Brexit rug by successive governments.

Harriet Tubman

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 04:16:56 PM »

How is brexit good for Britain? There is a documentary about british and their colonial hangover. They are still nursing it. They think they still have a role in the world but no one has told rhem what that role is.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 04:59:16 PM »
bitmask & Socrates - the UK is an economic vibrant and trailblazer. An explorer culture that holds her head high. Butt her voice is muzzled and neutered in the EU. How many times have London rulers visited Nairobi since Thatcher? Rules for a large union are always sub-optimal - because they are a balancing act. Economically both the UK and California would be better off on their own. The EU is an economic encumbrance without the payoff. There are too many Polish and Hungarian low-skilled immigrants yet it is harder to attract skilled labor from say India. This disgruntles blue-collars and rednecks much like Latinos do the deplorables in the US. Even in your own corporation, as an expat or high skilled staff the workers' union does not benefit you nor is it wanted.

What unions bestow is group comfort in military and political matters. For instance in dealing with Russia or Iran or Kim Jong-Un. But with NATO that is moot. Canada, Aussie trade with the EU. I am unconvinced of the extra benefit the UK enjoys. The EU is shackles.

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2019, 05:49:24 PM »
bitmask & Socrates - the UK is an economic vibrant and trailblazer. An explorer culture that holds her head high. Butt her voice is muzzled and neutered in the EU. How many times have London rulers visited Nairobi since Thatcher? Rules for a large union are always sub-optimal - because they are a balancing act. Economically both the UK and California would be better off on their own. The EU is an economic encumbrance without the payoff. There are too many Polish and Hungarian low-skilled immigrants yet it is harder to attract skilled labor from say India. This disgruntles blue-collars and rednecks much like Latinos do the deplorables in the US. Even in your own corporation, as an expat or high skilled staff the workers' union does not benefit you nor is it wanted.

What unions bestow is group comfort in military and political matters. For instance in dealing with Russia or Iran or Kim Jong-Un. But with NATO that is moot. Canada, Aussie trade with the EU. I am unconvinced of the extra benefit the UK enjoys. The EU is shackles.

I see it as an ecosystem.  Times have changed.  Those Poles and Latinos are an integral part of the whole.  While they may not be doing cutting edge stuff, they do stuff that needs to be done.  I still don't know what is special about Britain that the Euros and the rest of the world simply won't look and find elsewhere.  Because shit can be produced anywhere, protectionism has no future.

Harriet Tubman