Author Topic: Haji & Kinoti swoop into KRA - another KPLC  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Haji & Kinoti swoop into KRA - another KPLC
« on: May 13, 2019, 12:07:40 AM »
Arrests show the rot that is Kenya Revenue Authority
NEWS
4  HOURS AGO

In summary

The Sunday Nation was given the finer details of the sting operation that saw detectives narrow down on dozens of senior and middle officers.

The detectives were mostly working as newly employed junior officers like clerks, IT experts and even interns to unearth the corruption web.

At the heart of the endemic corruption is a well co-ordinated cartel that over time perfected and institutionalised ways of abetting tax evasion at a fee by rigging the system.

https://mobile.nation.co.ke/news/Arrests-show-the-rot-that-is-Kenya-Revenue-Authority/1950946-5111178-item-1-bq69gaz/index.html
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline vooke

• Enigma
Re: Haji & Kinoti swoop into KRA - another KPLC
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 08:43:56 AM »
They should follow through and take down some commissioner ms
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 09:17:27 AM »
Long overdue. This kind of systemic corruption is dangerous. This is what NIS, DCI & KACC should be focussing - systemic corruption in KRA, Kenya Police, Immigration and Gov agencies.

More important KRA should institute more controls to stop corruption from happening. All these opaques systems contribute to it. Why do you need some few guys to approve documents?

KRA can meet it's target if it fought corruption.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 02:50:06 PM »
Let's see how many of these land actual custodial sentences, assets frozen, etc. Corruption fight requires lots of symbolism to send the chills downstream. I like the DPP leeway to strike deals in exchange for witness cooperation to smoke out bigger fish.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 03:08:28 PM »
I doubt the symbolism will work in places where corruption is so systemic like KRA and Police force; What will work is putting controls in place long before DCI are called - KRA should not be losing money - the problem is there is a lot discretion that KRA staff have - say in setting fines or etc. Digitisation when done probably will enhance accountability and transparent - which is the first wall against corruption.
Let's see how many of these land actual custodial sentences, assets frozen, etc. Corruption fight requires lots of symbolism to send the chills downstream. I like the DPP leeway to strike deals in exchange for witness cooperation to smoke out bigger fish.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 04:31:36 PM by RV Pundit »

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 04:30:39 PM »
They should follow through and take down some commissioner ms

I am not crossing my fingers.   And yes, these m'fuckers are some of the most corrupt - it's literally their way of life.   They just happen to have smaller baskets to take from.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 05:34:50 PM »
KRA is under lock and key of one community. There is no way Uhuru can try kill the corruption there as soon we will be told Mt Kenya's lifeline is under sieke.
This is just another NYS and soon it will faze from the news.
Btw, what happened to the self admitted gunia cash carrying Josephine Kabura? Was she allowed to keep her part of the loot?

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 07:16:08 PM »
I wonder what became of the AI/Big Data they were rolling out 2-3 years ago. Complete with a Chief Manager. The story says the deliberately collude all the way from port of entry to IT admins.. How would automation/systems work with full circle collusion?  8) They already have all the ETRs and whatnot.

I doubt the symbolism will work in places where corruption is so systemic like KRA and Police force; What will work is putting controls in place long before DCI are called - KRA should not be losing money - the problem is there is a lot discretion that KRA staff have - say in setting fines or etc. Digitisation when done probably will enhance accountability and transparent - which is the first wall against corruption.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 07:18:58 PM »
KRA is under lock and key of one community. There is no way Uhuru can try kill the corruption there as soon we will be told Mt Kenya's lifeline is under sieke.
This is just another NYS and soon it will faze from the news.
Btw, what happened to the self admitted gunia cash carrying Josephine Kabura? Was she allowed to keep her part of the loot?

Yes it's like Gatundu Market in there. Seriously need diversity. I wonder what the audit reports say for the said looting period - both internal and external.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 07:23:02 PM »
I wonder what became of the AI/Big Data they were rolling out 2-3 years ago. Complete with a Chief Manager. The story says the deliberately collude all the way from port of entry to IT admins.. How would automation/systems work with full circle collusion?  8) They already have all the ETRs and whatnot.

The big Data I think was for netting tax evaders....but I believe systems can be designed to make collusion hard...for example randomly assigning tax tickets to several approvers or assessors...of course reducing the discretion that officers have....to do crazy tax assessment leaving many to resort to bribery.Obviously we also need investigators permanently

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 03:28:14 PM »
There should be regulations that require these people to show their faces to the world.  We need to see them.  The same regulations for when you take mugshot.

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 07:45:38 AM »
There should be regulations that require these people to show their faces to the world.  We need to see them.  The same regulations for when you take mugshot.

Maraga issued a fiery memo to this effect but I think it has no force of law. They should amend Criminal Procedures Act or something

2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 02:01:56 PM »
Only in Kenya arrestees have rights to privacy...

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 03:01:10 PM »

Like Maraga says, they need to be identifiable when they are having their day in court.   In fact, there are quite a few jurisdictions that require people to be identifiable when out in public, let alone in front of a judge.

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 03:27:44 PM »
Yes - this is an attempt to defeat justice - because with their faces on - many witnesses will want to be enjoined in the case.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 07:37:56 PM »

Like Maraga says, they need to be identifiable when they are having their day in court.   In fact, there are quite a few jurisdictions that require people to be identifiable when out in public, let alone in front of a judge.

The court makes the rules, so how come they allow such crap.