Author Topic: Amazon now has 50% of US e-commerce  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Amazon now has 50% of US e-commerce
« on: July 14, 2018, 11:05:41 PM »
Wow. E-commerce is only 10% of all retail in the US..  obviously worse in the rest of the globe. What's notable is that 65% of Amazon sales are through the Marketplace - which means people buy from third parties on Amazon platform - as opposed to direct sales stocked by Amazon. E-Bay has used this same 3rd party strategy but continues to perform dismally.. it's no 2 at 6.6%. Apple 3.9% while Walmart - the global traditional retail leader - is no 4 at a meagre 3.7%.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/13/amazons-share-of-the-us-e-commerce-market-is-now-49-or-5-of-all-retail-spend/
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: Amazon now has 50% of US e-commerce
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 11:19:01 PM »
In Kenya Masoko and Jumia use direct sales strategy where they stock and deliver stuff to buyers. Jumia uses freelance drivers for delivery. Safaricom uses Little Cab? I think companies with a delivery network like Sendy can do quite well in e-commerce.

Marketplace has failed to kick off in Kenya due to fraud. OLX tried it and conmen had a field day conning naive buyers with fake merchandise. E-Bay at least has an escrow system where the seller is vetted,  pays a big security deposit, and only gets their cash if no complaints are registered or after they have been investigated. This is of course cumbersome for sellers and hampers one-off item sellers.

Amazon has a similar vetting process for 3rd parties Marketplace but gets away with it. After starting out with direct sales on books. I also wonder if Amazon can escape scrutiny for long competing with its partners - Google already complained that its ChromeCast is being ill-ranked in Amazon searches in favor of Amazon Echo. Big behemoths face the same problem - anti-trust. Safaricom could soon run into the same issue with Masoko.

Bottom line Safaricom Masoko,  Jumia, etc are smart to start early and grasp the market - before big kahunas Amazon and Alibaba raid the party. Kudos to Little Cab and Sendy and Viusasa too. What's the local equivalent of AirBnB? I'm sure Viusasa and other startups will fetch a very fat fee when YouTube comes knocking in a few years.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 11:25:37 PM »
RV Pundit,  how's Kimetrica? Ever been offered a price by anyone? AI startups are very hot cake right now. It's the quickest way for a techie like yourself to mint serious $$ ... instead of worshipping Ruto and hoping for crumbs if he ever takes over. Ruto's more like a vulture that chews even the mzoga. Even termites and bacteria have tough luck under Ruto. Top2Bottom wholesome feeder. :)

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 06:01:14 AM »
Two things, these are figures for US companies, not global and for consumers. If you think about it, Walmart is doing better than all because they're based in the US for US consumers.

McDonalds is supposed to be bigger than Amazon and Apple etc. they get invited to govt summits like APEC.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 08:21:39 AM »
I guess the lesson is malls are not going anywhere - 10% seem the ceiling for online commerce. People still need the real shopping experience.
Wow. E-commerce is only 10% of all retail in the US..  obviously worse in the rest of the globe. What's notable is that 65% of Amazon sales are through the Marketplace - which means people buy from third parties on Amazon platform - as opposed to direct sales stocked by Amazon. E-Bay has used this same 3rd party strategy but continues to perform dismally.. it's no 2 at 6.6%. Apple 3.9% while Walmart - the global traditional retail leader - is no 4 at a meagre 3.7%.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/13/amazons-share-of-the-us-e-commerce-market-is-now-49-or-5-of-all-retail-spend/

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 01:12:10 PM »
Two things, these are figures for US companies, not global and for consumers. If you think about it, Walmart is doing better than all because they're based in the US for US consumers.

McDonalds is supposed to be bigger than Amazon and Apple etc. they get invited to govt summits like APEC.

Of course this US e-commerce only. Burgers ordered and picked in person are not considered e-commerce. You have to order online and get a delivery. Online burger orders do not register on the stats.

Overall (globally) Amazon still leads in e-commerce (not entire retail) and faces close competition from Alibaba, etc. Walmart leads in traditional retail which is still 90% of the entire market.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 01:17:55 PM »
Amazon the e-commerce pioneer is only 20 years old. And it only went into full retail (besides only books in the past) just recently. The accelerating growth of e-commerce is what you need to check. Jeff Bezos is the richest man for a reason : investors think e-commerce is the future, while Walmart stock is lucklustre.

I guess the lesson is malls are not going anywhere - 10% seem the ceiling for online commerce. People still need the real shopping experience.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 01:55:58 PM »
I don't see the difference between picking a burger up at a store or a parcel from a postoffice. Amazon doesn't have a lot of warehouses or shops like McDonalds. Amazon taps into such a small market aka nerds. Not everyone is smart and interesting you know. Some of us are dumb and boring and order burgers. Just because I don't click on shopping carts, it doesn't mean my vote doesn't count.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 02:28:54 PM »
I don't see the difference between picking a burger up at a store or a parcel from a postoffice. Amazon doesn't have a lot of warehouses or shops like McDonalds. Amazon taps into such a small market aka nerds. Not everyone is smart and interesting you know. Some of us are dumb and boring and order burgers. Just because I don't click on shopping carts, it doesn't mean my vote doesn't count.

Picking burgers,  etc in person - that's a whooping 90% of retail. E-commerce is only 10%. You see,  nothing to worry about, we smart interesting folks are just a tiny minority.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 03:25:30 PM »
Do you like listening to smart interesting people?

I prefer silence.

I was at this store the other day shopping like I do, and was taken aback by this little man. Other kids were running around the shop yapping and yapping. This little man picked up each item and studied it carefully, reading the package carefully and would quietly put the item back. He picked a couple items and placed them in his wheelie basket nearly the same height as him. He would wheel it slowly to the next aisle and study the items carefully. Remarkable little man. It was mesmerizing to watch. His parents must be remarkable nerds, or so I thought. After about 30 mins, this woman in leopard scantily dressed came into the store and screached something, was his mother.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 02:18:08 PM »
Health & biotech doing great... than other tech startups. We already have a few unicorns... they've clocked $5.4B in 2018 so far. This is just funding, not total valuation.

In short invest in innovation... not Ruto :D Solutions must come from entrepreneurs no matter who milks the cow. I think innovation n tech like AI can solve very many Kenya/Sub Sahara problems.

Omollo how's your blog. I checked Omollosview sometimes back and almost dropped off my seat with boredom :D Blogs sell too you know.

Rubius Therapeutics .. raised $241m valued $2B
Tricida .. valued $1.2B
Eidos Therapeutics .. valued $800m
Homology Medicines .. valued $800m

In Kenya such figures must only be referring to SGR debt or scandal :-\  How much is Kimetrica worth?

While Tech Waffles On Going Public, Biotech IPOs Boom
https://news.crunchbase.com/news/while-tech-waffles-on-going-public-bio-ipos-boom/

Healthcare and Biotech IPOs in 2018
https://www.crunchbase.com/lists/healthcare-and-biotech-ipos-in-2018/1b2c3505-ca6a-4529-b558-347797986cb6/organization.companies?utm_source=cb_daily&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=20180720&utm_content=lists&utm_term=other

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 02:36:26 PM »
Vs other techs combined

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 06:27:31 AM »
Interesting. I shared this with ma and she screamed why can't I start an IPO in some health thing.

Should I start a company?

But the question is in what? Nothing service related or blue collar. If I'm gonna start a company it'll have to be in drugs, mining or construction.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 01:58:22 PM »
Interesting. I shared this with ma and she screamed why can't I start an IPO in some health thing.

Should I start a company?

But the question is in what? Nothing service related or blue collar. If I'm gonna start a company it'll have to be in drugs, mining or construction.

In something you're very skilled in and passionate about. I think you're very clever and passionate. I don't know if you're that driven. As much as you despise Elon Musk his OCD-like drive is the fuel for success.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 12:09:12 AM »
Ro, I'm not passionate about anything. I'm not inspired. I'm certainly not driven. Things pass me by like a blurry bore. How to be driven? Help me.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 01:25:08 AM »
Ro, I'm not passionate about anything. I'm not inspired. I'm certainly not driven. Things pass me by like a blurry bore. How to be driven? Help me.

Yes you're are very passionate about many things. Your postings here show you're passionate about space - the multiverse galaxies, cuisine, art & design. Passion is something you deeply crave to do - which makes you quite good at it. I'm very good in robot programming... I literally live next to the lab... so I can rush there on Sunday evening or whenever I feel like it. I teach bootcamps and participate in all kinds of blogs - robotshop, robocamp, reddit, linkedin, name it. I don't need any pushing or reminders.

Nipate I come to yawn and hammer Ruto :)

What do you really like and do on impulse that pays? That's your passion.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 12:53:30 PM »
Ro, thanks so much, you're an inspiration. Robot programming is so cool. I enjoy the things you've mentioned but I'm not passionate about it.

I'd say I'm attracted to those things because it offers an alternate existence. I enjoy immersing myself hours on end with video games, VR etc. I'm actually very good with video games like Donkey Kong etc.

I'd like to be able to design a universe like a VR/AR universe driven by evidence.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 01:44:41 PM »
Ro, thanks so much, you're an inspiration. Robot programming is so cool. I enjoy the things you've mentioned but I'm not passionate about it.

I'd say I'm attracted to those things because it offers an alternate existence. I enjoy immersing myself hours on end with video games, VR etc. I'm actually very good with video games like Donkey Kong etc.

I'd like to be able to design a universe like a VR/AR universe driven by evidence.

There are online courses you can take on VR games or any coding. On udemy, coursera, etc. It's all online, paced and convenient. If you have the passion that makes sense and it's cheap. You just need a good laptop and internet. All kinds of SDKs and toolkits are online for free.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 12:18:35 AM »
Thanks Ro. I've already designed games with Unity & have games in app store. I'd like to do something large scale backed by science and evidence. Not that sh*tty Luminosh*tty but I dunno... still thinking about it.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 01:21:56 AM »
Thanks Ro. I've already designed games with Unity & have games in app store. I'd like to do something large scale backed by science and evidence. Not that sh*tty Luminosh*tty but I dunno... still thinking about it.

Interesting. Keep it up and let us know what you come up with.