Author Topic: Uhuru has made Hindu a Kenya 44th tribe  (Read 11363 times)

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
Uhuru has made Hindu a Kenya 44th tribe
« on: July 22, 2017, 06:34:21 PM »
www.kbc.co.ke/local-news/asians-gazetted-44th-tribe/

Just how much did Indians pay?

Does this not open up door for any non african immigrants to claim to be recognised as a tribe?

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Uhuru has made Hindu a Kenya 44th tribe
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 06:44:28 PM »
Chinese to follow soon

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 06:49:01 PM »
Campaign Finance.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 07:14:28 PM »
Is a tribe even a legal concept in Kenya?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 07:34:15 PM »
Bizarre and comical:

The move will now allow the population of Asians in the country to participate fully in political and governance affairs of the nation without fear of being discriminated.

In a special gazette notice of July 21st this year, President Uhuru Kenyatta proclaimed recognition of Kenyans of Indian decent as the 44th tribe and invited them to participate in the political, economic, cultural and social development of the country.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 07:36:44 PM »
Bizarre and comical:

The move will now allow the population of Asians in the country to participate fully in political and governance affairs of the nation without fear of being discriminated.

In a special gazette notice of July 21st this year, President Uhuru Kenyatta proclaimed recognition of Kenyans of Indian decent as the 44th tribe and invited them to participate in the political, economic, cultural and social development of the country.

Yep.  It's as if they were legally forbidden from doing these things until after today.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 07:41:15 PM »
I guess now Pundit has to revise the MOAS to adjust for the newly minted tribal voting robots. I cannot wait to see the breakdown.

Bizarre and comical:

"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 10:16:45 PM »
Indian MOAS:

Hindus 70%: Lohanas, Lohars, Rajput (split 50-50 Jubilee/NASA); Patels and Mehtas (mostly businessmen and face competition from Kikuyu - lean NASA). Found in Nairobi West, Parklands, South C, Thika, etc

Muslims 20%: Sunni, Shia (Ismaili, Bohra) - mostly in Mombasa and lean NASA

Sikhs, Jains 5% in Kisumu; opposed to Muslims and lean Jubilee
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 10:41:52 PM »
Wow! Lets wait for Pundit to confirm those numbers first.  I have a  feeling he will give  Jubilee 70% and NASA 30% based on some kind of "objective/scientific/mathematical"  quackery.

Indian MOAS:

Hindus 70%: Lohanas, Lohars, Rajput (split 50-50 Jubilee/NASA); Patels and Mehtas (mostly businessmen and face competition from Kikuyu - lean NASA). Found in Nairobi West, Parklands, South C, Thika, etc

Muslims 20%: Sunni, Shia (Ismaili, Bohra) - mostly in Mombasa and lean NASA

Sikhs, Jains 5% in Kisumu; opposed to Muslims and lean Jubilee

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 10:57:26 PM »
Uhuru has completely lost his mind. His economic advisor, tax cheat Vimal Shah must be behind this move. Will the Indians give up their British passport? 

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 11:27:29 PM »
I think you will have to be a Kenyan Citizen of Indian extraction to belong to the Indian tribe of Kenya. I urge Caucasians and other groups in Kenya to take advantage of this generous electoral period like Indians and get their tribal papers.  After the elections its going to be very difficult to get.

Uhuru has completely lost his mind. His economic advisor, tax cheat Vimal Shah must be behind this move. Will the Indians give up their British passport?

Offline Kadame5

• Superstar
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 01:11:54 AM »
This is wrong on so many levels. ARE they a tribe, or is this a colonialesque move to create a unity that doesn't exist? Did they ask for this? SMH.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 06:59:58 AM »
They are a tribe who speak their own language.I don't see any problem with this move.They were already recognized as Kenyan asians.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 08:03:21 AM »

Ouru cannot do any wrong in your eyes. I am sure if Magufuli had done the same you would suddenly see what's wrong with it.

They are a tribe who speak their own language.I don't see any problem with this move.They were already recognized as Kenyan asians.

Offline Kadame5

• Superstar
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 09:32:22 AM »
But that's because they are Kenyan Asians. That's like saying White Kenyans or Arab Kenyans or African Americans. But are these groups tribes?

There are very many Indian ethnicities in India where the Kenyan Indians came from. I know of Punjab because of friends and that there are tonnes more. Hindi is widely spoken in India but it's more like Kiswahili in Kenya and Tz. Each ethnicity actually has its own language and customs/traditions, same as we have Kyuk, Luo, Kamba etc.

So my concern here and why I find this cringeworthy is this: I'm imagining someone in the U.S. or Britain or S.A. or wherever you happen to find lots of Kenyans imagining that because we speak Swahili and are from Kenya, that means we are "a tribe"...how silly would that sound to you? Tribes are things that exist, they are not "created" by an act of recognition.

That's why I'm asking if Kenyans of Indian heritage have asked to be recognized as a Kenyan tribe or if this is some silly external imposition on a group that self-identifies very differently than as an "African tribe". There is something very colonial about this to my gut, unless I hear its coming from Indians themselves. Collective identity issues especially of minorities in a country are very delicate issues.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 11:09:20 AM »
Kenya asians have been recognized as a tribe and I am struggling to understand why that wrong when they are more than 200k asians in kenya.kenya Europeans should also be recognized as a tribe in Kenya.Both have been here for more than 100yrs..Luos for 500yrs..Arabs for 1000yrs... Kalenjin for 2500..0giek for longer maybe 5000yrs..all are Kenyans.The recognition will allow to them to start feeling Kenyan like everyone else and get any public goodies like jobs or monies.Whether they are marginalized and deserve affarmative action is where I diasgree.They mostly privelleged and historical favored.But they are 5th generation Kenyan Indians.It will allow them to feel grounded here without some idiot one day deciding they are not indigenous.They are now legally indigenous.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 12:02:50 PM »
This is wrong on so many levels. ARE they a tribe, or is this a colonialesque move to create a unity that doesn't exist? Did they ask for this? SMH.

Am not against it. I am against the method used and the motives behind the decision. There are many issues that needed to to be sorted out or they will create future problems. For example: Hindu-ism is a religion. Are we now basing ethnicity on religion? What is Dini ya Msambwa says they are an ethnic group and seek recognition and a percentage of public jobs? What about Kalasingas, Buddhists etc. BTW I think Kalasingas should have come first.

The law already recognized Hindu as a religion and provided for marriage under the same - to the exclusion of majority African religions which simply came under "African customary law".

Quote from: Pundito
I am struggling to understand why that is wrong when they are more than 200k asians in kenya.
Whimsical and erratic decisions are never right and cause new and aggravate old problems. A Commission should have been set up to take views and address ALL with similar demands. However you may want to know that Uhuru XEROXED NASA Manifesto (and we are not complaining):
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Kadame5

• Superstar
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 03:25:50 PM »
I don't understand how externally imposing a false identity on a group is better than calling them "others". Just call them what they are. How THEY see themselves/identifg. Does this mean that to be a real Kenyan one must be a member of a tribe?

And just slapping a fake identity on a group cannot prevent future racist/xenophobic attacks on them: HOW will it do that exactly? By convincing haters that these people are originally from Kenya? That's crazy.

I assume something like that would only take place in the context of a breakdown of constitutional order because our constitution and laws DO NOT allow discrimination based on ethnicity or tribe, nor does it base full citizenship on such. So a fake tribe would not prevent a future bigot who doesn't care two cents about the law from attacking ANY group, indegenious or otherwise, for biggoted reasons.

Being indegenious is a matter of FACT, it's not a gift from a government.

Moreover, the assumption that imposing an artificial identity on a group that has not asked for it is in any way morally/ethically ok bothers me. Does this not replace these people's own heritage? The govt must recognize the identity that groups have themselves, it should not just purport to give one to them.

If their identity is not that of a tribe but mere religion, even just broad ethnic or historical ties, it's enough to recognize that and ensure that belonging to a tribe does not give any advantages to anyone.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 03:41:06 PM »
You're getting hot under the collar for nothing. 44th tribe is recognised as Kenya Asians. I don't know why you're complaining yet you're not an indian. What has this action taken from you? Has it made you fell less of a kenya?  Let us have many more tribes being recognised. Some countries have 600 tribes recognised. Let us have hindi being taught in school. Kenya Asians and Europeans have been here for such a long time and in such numbers we ought to have recognised and integrated them long time ago. This is long overdue.
I don't understand how externally imposing a false identity on a group is better than calling them "others". Just call them what they are. How THEY see themselves/identifg. Does this mean that to be a real Kenyan one must be a member of a tribe?

And just slapping a fake identity on a group cannot prevent future racist/xenophobic attacks on them: HOW will it do that exactly? By convincing haters that these people are originally from Kenya? That's crazy.

I assume something like that would only take place in the context of a breakdown of constitutional order because our constitution and laws DO NOT allow discrimination based on ethnicity or tribe, nor does it base full citizenship on such. So a fake tribe would not prevent a future bigot who doesn't care two cents about the law from attacking ANY group, indegenious or otherwise, for biggoted reasons.

Moreover, the assumption that imposing an artificial identity on a group that has not asked for it is in any way morally/ethically ok bothers me. Does this not replace these people's own heritage? The govt must recognize the identity that groups have themselves, it should not just purport to give one to them.

If their identity is not that of a tribe but mere religion, even just broad ethnic or historical ties, it's enough to recognize that and ensure that belonging to a tribe does not give any advantages to anyone.

Offline Kadame5

• Superstar
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 03:43:27 PM »
What has it given you that you are defending it? I've given my reasons here: ethical. Stop trying to tell me what I should care about.

You're getting hot under the collar for nothing. 44th tribe is recognised as Kenya Asians. I don't know why you're complaining yet you're not an indian. What has this action taken from you? Has it made you fell less of a kenya?  Let us have many more tribes being recognised. Some countries have 600 tribes recognised. Let us have hindi being taught in school.