Author Topic: Nuff Sed, kadame,Termie, come quick!  (Read 6795 times)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
Nuff Sed, kadame,Termie, come quick!
« on: July 29, 2015, 01:47:36 PM »
Ethnic diversity among sects in the U.S. SDA came tops. Congratulations.
Catholicism shocked me. Very few Negroes subscribe to virginity.
My dear old Presbyterian is nowhere. Am ashamed
Atheists are surprisingly bazungus....Termie what was it you was saying about atheism and IQ?

SOURCE

2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Re: Nuff Sed, kadame,Termie, come quick!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 03:52:47 PM »
I don't get Buddhism. I recently went to a Buddhist sanctuary and couldn't help but notice Mr. Buddha radiating with gluttony.

It's disturbing.

He should lose some weight.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »
The pattern generally reflects the history of immigration.  The Protestants were the overwhelming majority of the early immigrants.

Most of slavery happens in a period when Protestantism was virtually the state religion.  That explains why there are very few Afram Catholics.

The Catholic wave comes with Irish, Italian, Polish then later Hispanic immigrants.  The first three, together with Germans, dominate immigration for most of the last century.  They do this to a point where the dominant white stock comes from those regions.

To go to a Catholic Church as a black man in the US is to stand out like a sore thumb.  I haven't yet met one who is not a recent immigrant or descended from one.

IQ has been found to have negative correlation to religiosity.  I have seen atheist who I would describe as religious.  And they quote Richard Dawkins liberally. 

But generally, non-believers in the west will tend to be selected from a small pool with higher IQs.  That probably explains the observation. 

It's really more a statement about diversity than IQ in general.  Atheists tend to belong to a similar demographic.

In Africa, I think the converse may be true if you look at the overall population.  Most folks who went to school also got a good dose of evangelism.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Bella

• Superstar
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 01:46:14 AM »
IQ is just a measure of one particular intelligence.  And I know of very brilliant Catholics in the West,  so i dont buy that mantra so popular among kids that ifyou are intelligent you'll automatically think that atheism is true.  I'm no idiot and I'm religious.  By choice,  in fact went against family's religion and my own previous indifference  (agnosticism? ).  vooke I believe American blacks were historically Baptist.  Black Catholics are in Africa and Latin America.  The Catholic church itself is a late comer over there as Terminator says,  due to historical tensions.  Unfortunately,  I don't know what the explanation is for other protestants like Presbyterians.  Or even SDAs.  For groups like Mormons it's easy... they didn't recognize baafrika as fully Human until the 80s so I am guessing they didn't proselytize among them too much.   I think in general churches that began in the USA in the 19th century had similar teachings regarding black people.

What is it about our skin that so many people seem to hate?  Just a by the way swali.  I don't think we are ugly... or am I biased?  There surely has to be a reason almost all non-black groups hated us seemingly upon sightation.... historically,  I mean.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat; Christus ab omni malo plebem suam defendat
Christ is the victor, Christ is King, Christ is the ruler, May Christ defend His people from all evil

Offline Bella

• Superstar
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 01:55:37 AM »
I don't get Buddhism. I recently went to a Buddhist sanctuary and couldn't help but notice Mr. Buddha radiating with gluttony.

It's disturbing.

He should lose some weight.

Buddha is at peace.  Not constantly obsessed with superficial things like that.  Upon enlightenment,  he has realized that,  thin or fat,  all is temporary. :-)

Veri,  Buddhism is like an atheistic religion,  except it does not really believe in materialism.... just the opposite in fact.  All matter is illusion.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat; Christus ab omni malo plebem suam defendat
Christ is the victor, Christ is King, Christ is the ruler, May Christ defend His people from all evil

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 07:22:00 AM »
Kadame,
I also believe it is a stereotype. Faith does not demand off the charts IQ for sure unlike some other human endeavors like science and philosophy.

Adventism concerned me because for sure I know it is white religion. Here is an article explaining why Negroes was enticed into it:

http://www.oakwood.edu/goldmine/ldoc/perspectives/perspective1.pdf

The apocalyptic themes,anti-Americanism and anti-slavery rhetoric really wooed them. But as I read the comments, some argued the best indicator of diversity would have been to sample individual congregations within a sect instead of the sect nationally. That,they say, tell a different story. Very few are diverse
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 10:46:26 AM »
Kadame,
I also believe it is a stereotype. Faith does not demand off the charts IQ for sure unlike some other human endeavors like science and philosophy.

Adventism concerned me because for sure I know it is white religion. Here is an article explaining why Negroes was enticed into it:

http://www.oakwood.edu/goldmine/ldoc/perspectives/perspective1.pdf

The apocalyptic themes,anti-Americanism and anti-slavery rhetoric really wooed them. But as I read the comments, some argued the best indicator of diversity would have been to sample individual congregations within a sect instead of the sect nationally. That,they say, tell a different story. Very few are diverse

vooke,

There are stereotypes.  And there is data.  A stereotype says, I see a Negro, I see a stupid animal.  Data says the Negro as a group scores low on the IQ test.

When you conflate the stereotype and data, you tend to take things personally and we all lose an opportunity in understanding the data.

Opus Dei numeraries are usually highly religious and I believe high IQ individuals.  That is not a stereotype.

I would try to glean information from the data, rather than offhand dismissal of facts.  Even if it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

I agree that it is not rocket science to be an atheist.  In fact I would argue that it's common sense.  But there is a certain type of IQ demographic that tends to atheism in the US. 

On diversity in churches, I am yet to find a good reason to argue with someone who says the most segregated time in America is Sunday morning.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman